Nextbase 512GW Dashcam

It's a good webcam, great video quality and simple to set up and use. You can now buy for £120 from well known high street outlets so £185 is a bit steep IMO. You can easily fit one yourself (plenty of advice on these forums) if you want or I am sure you could find someone to fit it for less than £65!

Cheers, I know £185 is a little on the steep side, it does come with an SD card too

I guess I am just erring on the cautious side especially with only owning the car for a few days

And if Skoda fit it themselves, if anything goes wrong then they have to sort it out

It's a brilliant camera IMO. I have the front and rear cam (additional £50). I installed it myself, including the rear wiring, using various posts on this forum. I'm a complete novice with wiring, but this was easy (if a little time-consuming).

I was rear-ended last year (not in my Superb), so I didn't see any point having a front cam without the rear. The rear footage would have been very valuable to me when I had this incident last year!

I leave the cam permanently attached to a permanent live fuse in the fuse box (via the nextbase hardwire kit) so it can record while parked. It does this for 2 hours on battery anyway, but I wanted the peace of mind of it recording constantly. The hardwire kit stops the recording if the battery voltage drops too much. Not had any issues so far!

Edit: I have a 128GB card installed, and I recommend it. It's amazing how quickly 128GB fills up with 2 cameras attached.

Edited by plantpowered

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/dash-cams/nextbase-512gw-review-3660920/ worth a read

Note "It won’t allow your battery to run flat, as it will turn off if it detects a certain voltage. Nextbase says it uses so little power in sleep mode that it will work even if you leave you car parked for several weeks."

I would be happy to pay an extra £21 to mitigate any future warranty issues from third party fitting. I’m sure Halfords fit a fair amount of them, but I’m also sure a dealer will know their way around a Skoda.

21 hours ago, Muff said:

Sounds a bit steep £120 at Halfords and they will fit and throw in a 32gb memory card for £164

Would rather go with the dealer than use Halfords, that way if any issues then they are fully responsible

Halfords fitted mine, took 40 minutes but went to an ignition source supply as they did not want people complaining of a flat battery.

Do not remember what memory card it was apart from 300 minutes.

Edited by Danny 57