Octavia Estate VRS in winter conditions

Hello,

I have an Octavia Scout on order but now my sales representative ends up with a long lead time, end of March next year.

He offer me an Octavia Estate VRS245 petrol as an replacer.

Very nice car but will this one be good enough in winter conditions with snow, does any have experience with this ?

At least I can equip the car with spike tires here in Scandinavia, still allowed to do that

This version is not with 4x4 as they offer on the diesel version here in Sweden

They are 2 different cars - Ones a sporty front wheel drive and the other is an off road style 4wd.  So it depends what you want.  

I myself have a Scout and judging by the winter pics of Sweden I'd want the 4wd with winter tyres.  You wont get the off road mode, hill decent control etc on the VRS - ask yourself whether you think you need it.  What car do you currently drive?

Is the VRS that they have a stock car - how old is it?

If the VRS was the 4x4 then i might be tempted.

VRS has lowered suspension and Scout has raised, so you immediately lose a bit of ability in avoiding getting beached in snow. Scout may also have some skid plates underneath that the VRS lacks.  There are restrictions on the winter wheels you can put on a 245 (16" steel wheels won't fit for example) due to larger brakes.

And of course at the end of the day 4WD is going to be better than 2WD assuming the same tyres. 

Sweden is not the UK, and I believe also there winter tyres are mandatory.

Where are you in Sweden? Up north it's a little different. If you're in Åre, I'd say the 4x4 is really important... for grip, the difference is significant. I don't see the ground clearance as being an issue. I've seen FWD punted across the ice and we'll compare directly 4x4 and FWD at this year's track. For acceleration the 4WD is awesome, but braking is just as hard with both. Agreed that they're very different cars. If you're anywhere below Örebrö, I'd not see it as an issue.

- Bret

• Like 1