Side lights.

There is a thread for this subject already but it’s confusing with so many people commenting. Car just failed mot because of  HID kit installed and apparently no side lights working. (Ones in the head light unit) the bottom drls come on when I start the car up and stay on constantly but no sidelights. I can’t get the bulbs to work what so ever. It’s really starting to irritate me. DA60WUE. If the owner is in this forum please please enlighten me

On a Mk2 Fabia vRS the sidelights. / Position lights which do pass mot,s if the examiner is not stupid is the shared DRL unit,  the sidelights are the DRL,s dimmer.   Try on the sidelight switch,  that is front and rear sidelights. DRL,s are just to the front.   Blue dummy bulb in head light is just that a dummy, like some mot examiners that fail twinchargers on no sidelights.  One even took my lights apart as a favour....

• Like 1

Kwik Fit failed my very first MOT in 2012 for sidelight not working and wiring my fog lights on permanantly. Had to drive the Skoda garage where they fell about laughing.

The blue dummy sidelight bulb you can see as mentioned is there but no power to it, and the fogs were mistaken are obviously DRL's

Info below on the HID's ban on older cars, but you prob already know...

Taken from Page 2, must be affecting a lot of second hand modded cars now unfortunately. 

Capture.PNG.9cd61b1ecc103e8e1443e29ed084fd68.PNG

mot-inspection-manual-for-classes-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

Edited by Kobayashi

No.  The Sidelight units are the DRL units and DRL if you want.  Switch in the Fuse Box to put DRL's off until Skoda deleted that and no switch.

When you were looking for a new DRL unit were you not aware they were also the Sidelights & also the Parking Light if using as a parking light?

Less bright than DRL's.

When the Police stop you and ask you why you have Front Fog lights on or a Car Salesperson says there are Front Fog Lights ask them where the switch is.

When a MOT Examiner is daft, ask them have they never tested a Volvo or Porsche with the identical DRL units.

Side Lights dim / DRL's Brighter.

Wires were in the loom, the headlights were parts bin, and cheapskate Skoda built the quickest Mk2 Fabia with no front Fog Lights, 

but put in the brochure there is, and on websites.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/442274-replacing-sidelight-bulbs

5a4d470712bb0_post-86161-0-74943500-1478766698(1).jpg.6279562329b359c3d9ae65e87bf477a1.jpg

Edited by Offski

Pulling out of junctions i had on Side Lights & Headlights, and as it is many still think you are a d1ck with Fog Lights on.

I always half covered the units which reduced the chance of broken lenses also so as not to annoy other drivers with them as sidelights.

Never had DRL's on.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/255034-vrs-sidelights-are-so-embarrassing-imo

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/305852-pulled-over-for-having-drls-on

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/189311-got-stopped-by-police-today

Edited by Offski

Exactly my point if the other driver thinks I have fogs on (they have seen me) which means less chance of also pulling out on me into a busy main road during the day. Definitely safer having them on town driving, could be an issue countryside driving dusk / dark.  How my drls haven't burnt out yet being on all the time....

Edited by Kobayashi

• 2 months later...

I was just looking at the MOT status of the last Mk2 vRS and had to laugh.

In August it failed its MOT on several things, emissions being one of them, and Front Left & Front Right Position lights not working.

(it did pass the next day...)

This is the 3rd MOT that the 'Sidelight / Position lights', have had the car Fail.  The examiners seem to not be able to see that the Side / Position lights are the DRL units 

and are on with the Sidelight switch and they are not in the Head Light units. 

Well The HID kit is def a fail, but as already mentioned the tester needs a little education ref sidelights.....

I personally think aftermarket HID kits should be banned.....atleast they are a fail on MOT now....

On a side note, I have been thinking of wiring up the "dummy" side lights.....:nerd:

Edited by UrbanPanzer

It probably can be done put a guide up when you do, would still need power to the DRLs though!

36 minutes ago, UrbanPanzer said:

Well The HID kit is def a fail, but as already mentioned the tester needs a little education ref sidelights.....

I personally think aftermarket HID kits should be banned.....atleast they are a fail on MOT now....

On a side note, I have been thinking of wiring up the "dummy" side lights.....:nerd:

• 5 years later...