FL Scout Towbar

I had a Westfalia detachable towbar fitted to me O3 FL Scout this morning. I was assured upon ordering that this was the OEM towbar which would have been fitted had the towbar been specified at the factory. The issue I have is that the detachable neck is impinging on the bumper (see pictures). Witter/Westfalia technical say that they've not seen my bumper style before and have suggested a fixed towbar instead, which I don't really fancy.

Does anyone have a FL Scout with a factory fit towbar, who can confirm what it looks like underneath? I've found a link to a supposed Skoda towbar here. It looks very different.

IMG_7008.JPG

IMG_7009.JPG

I have a factory fitted OEM detachable on my Oct 3 Scout and it doesn't look like yours and mine isn't a Westfalia as it has the VAG logo on it.  The recess the detachable bar goes into on mine is Square and the instructions for operation are in the original owners manual.

I know what the Westfalias are like as I fitted one to my MK2 Oct and the design / setup / towbars is completely different.  Looking at your link that looks like the Oct 3 OEM version.

Just Popped out and grabbed a few pics of mine for you to reference.

Does the fitting instructions suggest that the bumper needs to be cut at all?

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

Edited by ScoutCJB

Hmmm, I think I may end up ordering from a European based website and have the Westfalia bar returned.

The bumper did have to be cut out, but only inasmuch as the marked cutout area on the inside. Comparing your factory fit towbar to the Westfalia one, there is a bit of a bulge at the back of it whereas your is straight down.

Edited by wg100

I'll be honest, my OEM one is more of a b*tch to operate compared to the Westfalia one on my Oct 2 Scout, the lever is just a bit fiddly sometimes and it has to be lined up perfectly wheres as the Westfalia just seemed a lot easier to fit an remove.

I've not looked to see how close mine is to that bumper lip - will have a look tomorrow as there is a chip of paint in the same place as where yours rubs (although that may just be from bad fitting / removal).

I have a fixed Westphalia tow bar which has 2 sets of mounting holes in the legs that run forwards into the chassis. One set is for Skoda and one for VW. I accidentally installed the tow bar using the VW holes and had a similar fit problem to yours. Changed to the Skoda holes and the fit was perfect.

19 minutes ago, pncarrerars said:

I have a fixed Westphalia tow bar which has 2 sets of mounting holes in the legs that run forwards into the chassis. One set is for Skoda and one for VW. I accidentally installed the tow bar using the VW holes and had a similar fit problem to yours. Changed to the Skoda holes and the fit was perfect.

Unfortunately I don't think this is the problem as you can see the rearmost bolt hole when you look up by the exhaust.

B2958539-76B2-4AF2-9B9A-80A4C6C2D7EB.jpeg

I ordered a Westfalia aftermarket detachable fitted on my Scout as, like you, I thought it was the same as the OEM fit. I was disappointed with the size of the bumper cut, which goes back further than yours, so I guess that's why mine doesn't foul the bumper. Looked strange for a start, but I'm getting used to it now, although it would be less obvious if the car was silver rather than red. Might have to get some silver spray and just spray the red bit behind the bumper cut. Fitting the detachable is really easy although the electrics plug is very close to the neck. I guess to have it further away would mean a bigger cut and another can of paint ! Regret not ordering the factory fitted towbar as I guess you get a panel to clip in to the bumper cutout when the towbar is off. Or at least that's what we had on our Yeti. Got the fancy electric one on the Karoq and it's the mutts nuts (albeit a tad expensive)

On 14/11/2018 at 21:49, ScoutCJB said:

I have a factory fitted OEM detachable on my Oct 3 Scout and it doesn't look like yours and mine isn't a Westfalia as it has the VAG logo on it.  The recess the detachable bar goes into on mine is Square and the instructions for operation are in the original owners manual.

I know what the Westfalias are like as I fitted one to my MK2 Oct and the design / setup / towbars is completely different.  Looking at your link that looks like the Oct 3 OEM version.

Just Popped out and grabbed a few pics of mine for you to reference.

Does the fitting instructions suggest that the bumper needs to be cut at all?

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

Mine is slightly different but, it's fitted to a vRS hatchback although, the bottom line is the same

20181017_140206.jpg

Edited by themanwithnoaim

On 15/11/2018 at 20:01, Bowdie said:

I ordered a Westfalia aftermarket detachable fitted on my Scout as, like you, I thought it was the same as the OEM fit. I was disappointed with the size of the bumper cut, which goes back further than yours, so I guess that's why mine doesn't foul the bumper. .........

........... Regret not ordering the factory fitted towbar as I guess you get a panel to clip in to the bumper cutout when the towbar is off. Or at least that's what we had on our Yeti. Got the fancy electric one on the Karoq and it's the mutts nuts (albeit a tad expensive)

The Westfalia I fitted to my Oct 2 Scout didn't need any cutting at all, fitted perfectly.

As for the Oct 3 Scout there's no panel to clip in.