Reverse sensors intermittent

Hi there.

First time poster.  Picked up my 60 plate VRS last week-end.  great to be back in one after having a 61 plate a few years ago. Mine has heated front AND rear leather seats.  It's amazing lol.  My only gripe however is that the rear parking sensors only seem to work when they feel like it.  Is there a common issue to look for first before getting a sparky to check it all over for any faults.  just want to save myself a few quid if it is something I can fix relatively easy. I assume these sensors work of the reverse switch?  Perhaps a good place to start?

TIA

Do you get a beep from the info display in the car and the parking sensor distance bars come up when you select reverse? When the sensors decide not to work, do you still get the beep but the sensors just don't detect anything or is there no beep and parking display?

Edited by Papfox

23 hours ago, Papfox said:

Do you get a beep from the info display in the car and the parking sensor distance bars come up when you select reverse? When the sensors decide not to work, do you still get the beep but the sensors just don't detect anything or is there no beep and parking display?

My mk2 Octavia has fault sensors all around. It makes one long beep and the screen flashes once, then goes out and the parking sensor button flashes repeatedly. Any ideas?

Sometimes works perfectly though...

Edited by gman88667733

Try recharging your battery for 24hrs with an external charger.

My fabia started doing this, so checked battery and voltage was low. 24 hr recharge later, reverse sensors working fine.

My battery is 9.5 years, but apart from the sensor issue, never had any problem. I guess it was getting gradually discharged with lots of short and no long runs.

Another recent thread says its common for a sensor connector to come loose with vibration and causes similar symptoms.

Bumper may need to come off to check if you can't get you hands under.

Maybe an error code would show on a scan to indicate which sensor.