Emissions Light help please

YetiSpagetti

Hello and thank you in advance for any help I may receive, its greatly appreciated.

I purchased a 2015 2.0l Diesel 110 only last week and the emission warning light has just came on! Its only done 24,000 miles.

I bought the car from the Arnold Clark dealership so I have a 60 day warranty. It's going into the garage next Wednesday (the earliest they could fit me in??)

I'm just looking for some guidance as what to do to make sure the fault is correctly dealt with and I'm not fobbed off with a temporary repair- i.e. resetting the sensor?

I'm really not that knowledgeable about cars and I want to make sure I ask the right kind of questions etc when I drop it off.

Thank you.:thumbup:

Sounds like the dreaded emissions fix issues on the Euro 5 cars. Do some reading up on this before you take it back otherwise you could be fobbed off.

Good news is that Skoda do a two year warranty extension on items which may be affected.

• Like 1

Would you guys recommend taking it to an Arnold Clark Skoda garage? There is one around 20 miles away from me - my local Arnold Clark is Fiat.

Apologies if these seem quite daft questions, I've driven an Octavia for the last 10 years without any problems, and I'm worried I've just spent thousands on a whole load of trouble.

10 hours ago, YetiSpagetti said:

Have I just bought myself a whole load of trouble?

Possibly YES ,if it’s had the fix/fail,there’s plenty of information on this,at best the repairs might be carried out for the next 2 years ,after that it’s your money,if you can get a refund and walk away that would be the best option as you weren’t advised about the fix/fail issue and that’s the reason I wouldn’t consider owning one.........ever.

Edited by Sad555

Hi YetiSpagetti,

I think you are getting a bit stressed out on this, there is lots of information on the 'fix'; my 170 Elegance went through the procedure without any ills. Your issue may be caused by something else so do read up on it. In any event SKODA have in place a 2yr fix it policy for the emissions  fiasco.

Personally I'd be more concerned about taking my car to Arnold Clark, I would find a reliable dealer.

M

Edited by ktm690rr
spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks for a bit a reassurance ktm690rr. As the 60 day warranty is with AC I'll have to stick with them I think.  

Also, I've just done the VIN checker on the Skoda website and it said this "We are pleased to confirm that your vehicle is not affected by the EA 189 NOx emissions issue."

Does this mean I'm in the clear or just that it's already been done? 

Edited by YetiSpagetti
Typo

The emissions light could be caused by a number of things; has it been stood for a while in the dealer and only started occasionally once in a while? Have you just done short journeys? What fuel are you using? What was the driving pattern of the previous owner?

Firstly, dose it up with a full tank of premium diesel or add Archoil or Millers to a full tank of supermarket diesel and give it a good run out. Get it hot and blast it through the gears, keep it at over 2000 RPM on a motorway for a while and you may find that the light goes out.

I dose my 2Ltr every fill with Millers or Archoil and it gets worked, the 2Ltr variants do not like to be driven round the doors or stuck in traffic all the time.

Also, don't be too worried about the fix, if you use premium diesel or additives all the time and drive it like it should be driven you'll get thousands of miles of happy motoring.

If you want to ask any questions, send me a message or reply on here, I've become a bit of an expert at wading the truth and the rumours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YetiSpagetti said:

Thanks for a bit a reassurance ktm690rr. As the 60 day warranty is with AC I'll have to stick with them I think.  

Also, I've just done the VIN checker on the Skoda website and it said this "We are pleased to confirm that your vehicle is not affected by the EA 189 NOx emissions issue."

Does this mean I'm in the clear or just that it's already been done? 

If your car has an Adblu tank in the boot it is a Euro 6 vehicle and will not have the fix issues and should prove to be a good choice once any warranty issues are fixed. The change happened in 2015.

• Like 1

I've just checked the boot and there is an adblue tank in there. 

No one told me about this and I had no idea it was there. 

Thanks to you all for helping me. So, I've managed to get it booked into the Arnold Clark Skoda branch in Edinburgh tomorrow. I took it up the motorway this morning and ran it in 3rd, 4th above 2Krpm for a while but the light is still on.  

EDIT.

Ignore The Fix stuff then below.        Get ARNOLD CLARK Employees on the faulty AdBlue / SCR if that is the case.

Over Filled, Faulty system or what ever.

Get it in writing when you deal with ARNOLD CLARK.  

There is not only the 60 Day Warranty,  there is selling / supplying a Car 'Fit For Purpose'  so no Known Faults,  faults they can fix if discovered etc.

Then there is a VW / Skoda 24 Month Peace of Mind Warranty if The Fix was carried out from The Fix being done.

ARNOLD CLARK will have to use their Techs, Insurers, Knowledge then get Skoda / VW involved etc,  but that is their problem not yours, 

Reject the Car if they can not fix or have fixed.

Others have had to, especially with Arnold Clark Dealerships.

http://skoda.co.uk/dieselinfo

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

I had the fix done on my Yeti. It has know done only 35,500 miles [8K per year] and the dpf light came on for the first time a few weeks ago. I went for a run and before I hade driven 5 miles it was out.

Colin

• Like 1

Best have them sort things out ASAP,  not drive it about wit warning lights or chance of into Limp Mode..   

Be sure they do not just keep dragging it out.   The car could have been in and a Courtesy car supplied until Wednesday and then until yours is properly repaired.

They are not allowed that many tries to get it fixed so they best have a Master Tech on the job. 

PS,

not like they have no cars around to use as Courtesy Cars.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, eribaMotters said:

now done only 35,500 miles [8K per year] and the dpf light came on for the first time a few weeks ago. I went for a run and before I hade driven 5 miles it was out.

Colin

That could be why, not the fix. If all the trips are short the dpf will never have a chance to burn off the soot and ash

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

That could be why, not the fix. If all the trips are short the dpf will never have a chance to burn off the soot and ash

I've usually managed to use the other car, a petrol VW Up for short runs. The Skoda diesel is used if the engine has a chance to get warm. Having said that I used to commute 5 miles each way to work which was not long enough to get warm in the winter. Regens have successfully  gone on in the background, the fans running on once I've stopped. I believe my light on was not a result of the fix but as you say possibly a few to many short runs.

Colin