Difference between 150PS and 190PS diesel engines

22 minutes ago, Stu-perb said:

Yeah, I'm sure the turbo has more to give, but I think 190 is probably asking a lot from it, otherwise why would VAG bother to use a different model? The main thing that put me off the idea of a remap was the manual gearbox used in the 150 model. It's a variant of the MQ350, and that model number is eponymous with the maximum Nm of torque it was designed for. I suspect  (but don't know) the reason they stopped doing 190 manuals is because they wanted to ditch that other manual gearbox.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make was that the difference between the two models is more than just software. You can't buy the 150 model and make it into a proper 190 just by using a laptop. I'd also want to have confidence in the tuner knowing what he's doing. There's lots of young lads running around in old remapped TDis, and they're usually black at the back end from all the unburnt fuel they spew out. :notme:

Yeah 190ps would be asking a lot from a remapped 150. 180-85 is probs more realistic and safer for component  longevity. 

By ‘restriction’ I was referring to the quote that implied a 150 couldn’t be remapped at all, due to turbo/gearbox. 

They can can of course be done but as you said a software tweak alone won’t make them the same as a 190 as there’s other hardware differences too. Meaning that 190 can be safely mapped 220-230ps which a 150 couldn’t be unless you started making other significant and costly hardware changes too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, penguin17 said:

By ‘restriction’ I was referring to the quote that implied a 150 couldn’t be remapped at all, due to turbo/gearbox. 

Nah, I never said it's not possible to do a remap, full-stop. What I meant was you can't remap a 150 in order to clone a 190 model, as I once hoped to do, because key components of the powertrain are weaker. Even bolting on a bigger turbo doesn't solve the gearbox issue, and that might be the reason that the OP's mechanic didn't want to do the job. I should have been clearer :blush

Edited by Stu-perb
  • Like 2

Remapped mine about 6 months ago and haven't looked back. I find it a much more leisurely drive and much more smoother/forgiving releasing the clutch. I don't drive it hard at all but the power's certainly there if it's needed. 

I spoke to a SKoda Engineer before I done had it done and he said that it wouldn't bother him regarding the warranty but if he had to do a software upgrade it would revert to a 150PS. The remapper told me he'd upload again FOC if I did loose it which was grand. The skoda engineer told me there was no difference between the 150 and the 190 bar the configuration but if you guys know different I'd be interested in a read. I'm not too bothered, worth the risk. I'd an E46 previously which was I also remapped, no issues. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Apexor said:

Remapped mine about 6 months ago and haven't looked back. I find it a much more leisurely drive and much more smoother/forgiving releasing the clutch. I don't drive it hard at all but the power's certainly there if it's needed. 

I spoke to a SKoda Engineer before I done had it done and he said that it wouldn't bother him regarding the warranty but if he had to do a software upgrade it would revert to a 150PS. The remapper told me he'd upload again FOC if I did loose it which was grand. The skoda engineer told me there was no difference between the 150 and the 190 bar the configuration but if you guys know different I'd be interested in a read. I'm not too bothered, worth the risk. I'd an E46 previously which was I also remapped, no issues. 

Dealers are unable to identify remaps. Some diagnostic systems can give a clue but that's all.

On 27/01/2019 at 01:46, byteme said:

Dealers are unable to identify remaps. Some diagnostic systems can give a clue but that's all.

I think you'll find that's not the case these days!

• Like 2

It doesn't have to be, because when VW Group are being asked to pay out thousands on a Warranty Claim they simply investigate the ECU.

The customer is asked to sign a warranty claim.  It is amazing how many then withdraw the claim rather than commit Fraud or Deception.

As with some making Insurance Claims, claim made, 'Loss Adjuster' has ECU checked, Claim Withdrawn.

2 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

It doesn't have to be, because when VW Group are being asked to pay out thousands on a Warranty Claim they simply investigate the ECU.

The customer is asked to sign a warranty claim.  It is amazing how many then withdraw the claim rather than commit Fraud or Deception.

As with some making Insurance Claims, claim made, 'Loss Adjuster' has ECU checked, Claim Withdrawn.

Doesn't happen.

32 minutes ago, byteme said:

The systems are capable of it and have been for years. That degree of access however is not available at dealer level.

24 minutes ago, byteme said:

Doesn't happen.

Erm wrong on both counts.  

• Thanks 1