'Driving Mode Display' on Maxidot ... anyone know what this is?

I'm hoping one of you kind souls can answer me a question, I've searched and searched and found nothing...

I recently got OBDeleven, and have been searching/playing around with different mod's and coding's etc. and came across this on the superb forum:

So, I thought it looked interesting so enabled it, not actually knowing it's purpose.. 

What I get is this message every time I start the car. I cannot view it after startup as it disappears, and I cannot find anything at all on the MaxiDot or infotainment system that relates to this at all. 

20181204_163847.jpg

What is it? Please and thank you :)

Edited by FluffyEyeball

Battery and E symbol would suggest 'energy recovery mode'.  Under light engine loads the alternator free wheels, so the battery only gets a proper charge under braking.

If firmware doesn't support a function, you get strange results.

This worked on my MY2016 and is a useful function (don't know why it's not standard?)

Drive Profile Display in Cluster
Select Control unit 19
Control unit long coding
Go to Byte 08 "Display for drive program functions in instrument cluster"
Enable Bit 4

It only displays the drive mode in MFD for a few seconds each time after you change mode using vRS button. First press of button displays current mode.

• Like 1

That’s the same coding I have used and I get the E Mode thingy. Must be an MY16 change as mine is MY14 with the grey Maxidot menu. I hate that I can’t change it to black without removing the vRS start screen. I wonder if there is a firmware change on the MY16 clusters that makes them different?

Edited by SashaGrace

By grey maxidot do you mean the black and white one? That's what I've got and mines either MY14 or MY15, I can't remember, but i'm hoping to retrofit a cluster with a colour maxidot soon ish, if I can find someone/somewhere to code it correctly. Not sure whether that'll make a difference to the driving mode display thingy? Either way, if I manage to get one and fit/code it, I'll post the result here. 

No it’s a colour Maxidot, but on the MY16 models the menu (audio, driving data, nav etc) has black boxes with green and white text over a black background whereas mine has grey menu boxes with green and white text over a black background. I’m not being very clear here. I’ll have to try and take a picture of what I mean tomorrow.

I’ve just tried this again and still with the E Mode thing. The MY16 cluster must be different! This is what my menu looks like.

3F89CF88-375F-41B7-B847-C801F073F9C4.thumb.jpeg.e4b5f8c260714e036859db6b03bd20a9.jpeg

MY16 has black boxes. I can get 4 options, Skoda logo and grey boxes, Skoda logo and black boxes, vRS logo with grey boxes or Function not available!! I could have black boxes, but I like my vRS start screen. I’d love to get this working if there is any more info on it.

• 2 years later...

Hi , have you already solve it , please ?  I have the same trouble with the same backround (playing with coding :). 

On 04/12/2018 at 20:55, FluffyEyeball said:

I'm hoping one of you kind souls can answer me a question, I've searched and searched and found nothing...

I recently got OBDeleven, and have been searching/playing around with different mod's and coding's etc. and came across this on the superb forum:

So, I thought it looked interesting so enabled it, not actually knowing it's purpose.. 

What I get is this message every time I start the car. I cannot view it after startup as it disappears, and I cannot find anything at all on the MaxiDot or infotainment system that relates to this at all. 

20181204_163847.jpg

What is it? Please and thank you :)

On 05/12/2018 at 00:03, SashaGrace said:

This happened on mine too when I tried to code it in, no idea what it is or does and I could never get the drive mode to show on my Maxidot. If anyone knows how to, that’d be pretty cool :)

Hi , have you already solve it , please ?  I have the same trouble with the same backround (playing with coding :).