New tyres

It's time for a pair of new front tyres on my 190 tdi. I didn't have any issues with the original pirellis. I'm looking at Goodyear eagles or Michelin primacy 4, mainly  looking for a quiet tyre that lasts a decent time. Any thoughts. 

Put new tyres on the rear and the rears on the front to maintain the balance of the car. This time of years with more grip on the front than the rear you are far more likely to go off the road backwards should an emergency occur.

As for brand you will probably find spotting any difference impossible unless you had the opportunity to test all of them against the stop watch on a closed track. The only difference you will likely spot is the noise level and even that is a personal thing. Like you i find the Pirellis fine but some on here say they are extremely noisy, not spotted it myself and I have had some noisy tyres in the past the last ones being Michelin and the ones before that Continental. 

Id go with Goodyear’s out of the two you mentioned, but my OCD would be pit some Pirelli’s on to match the other 2. 

Ive got Bridgestone Potenza’s on from factory. 8k miles up and still good on the front. I give them a load of punishment too. Only downside is starting to get a little noisey, maybe as they’ve worn down a bit now. 

This thread has some good posts 

@IanJD I understand the old wooden pallets recovered and recycled from the side of the road have better grip than the OEM Pirellis that I had fitted.:o

2 hours ago, Speedman said:

My 190 tdi came with hankooks, changed them at 25,000 miles and put same back on. They have the quietest noise rating, 67db compared to some other makes up to 71db.

I love Hankooks. My superb came with the Pirellis although I've currently got Dunlop winter tyres on. When the Pirellis are worn, I'll definitely look for some Hankooks. 

I've got some fitted to my wife's Suzuki Swift and they're excellent in every aspect. Much better, and cheaper, than the factory fitted tyres 

5 hours ago, Bud said:

@IanJD I understand the old wooden pallets recovered and recycled from the side of the road have better grip than the OEM Pirellis that I had fitted.:o

I had some Pirellis fitted to the front, to replace the original Falkens. I couldn’t believe how much more grip I then had - well, I could, really - the Falkens were the worst OE tyres that I had ever had. 

The only problem was the Pirellis would go out of balance after about 50 miles on the motorway, so I was spending half my life at Krapfit. I wouldn’t normally entertain using these sheisters, but the leasing company insist! Anyway, to cut a very long story short, the Pirellis ended up on the back in order to prove a point - although having proved the point, the sheisters still did nothing about it. 

The Falkens which had moved from the back to the front needed replacing last week. I now have Hankooks on the front and, although they seem to grip OK, they also seem to have a balance issue, so I will be going back to Krapfit to get it sorted, when I get the time. I really don’t need this aggravation, as life is complicated enough. :envy:

I hope that helps?  :biggrin:

Edited by daveo138
Typo