Black Grille Surround

Has anyone replaced the chrome grille surround with the black one yet? Have asked the dealership to look into it prior to collecting the vehicle but they say the bumper and front radar need removing and then recalibration of the radar is required at a cost of £350.

I would have thought it would be similar to the Octavia. Any thoughts?

• Love it! 1

I looked into this ready for when the scout arrived. Wanted to loose some chrome, the silver mirrors and the walnut on the dash. Had quotes of around £250 to wrap the lot in vinyl. Haven't actually had it done some eight months into ownership as the silcer/chrome don't actually bother me. 

Not sure the Scout is  wise choice for non-lovers of chrome and aluminium effect :D

It was possible to carefully remove the chrome surround on the MkIII Octavia by basically breaking / snapping it off, without removing the front bumper. On the latest facelift MkIII Octavia this is now no longer possible, so I suspect the Kodiaq might be the same...

I'd be tempted to buy a whole new grill if the chrome is too much to bare. Superskoda sell the outer trim separately in SportLine / vRS black , but then they also sell the inner section too...

Capture.JPG.4b0bd878f6d81302a074a1d26fa8d4ae.JPG

I’ve already bought the grill surround and I am just waiting for the vehicle to be delivered. I am just wondering whether the need for bumper removal is really required (and the labor costs involved ) or whether it can be replaced in situ like I have previously had done on the Octavia? I am not really bothered if the chrome one gets damaged on removal.

This is the reply I’ve received from the dealership:

Unfortunately this isn’t a straight forward task on a Kodiaq as it was on your Octavia.

To remove the chrome trim we have to remove the front bumper to gain access to all the fixings.

Behind the grille is a radar that will need to be either dynamically calibrated by us or fully calibrated using ADAS equipment once the vehicle is rebuilt as this will be disturbed.

Unfortunately until we have completed the repair we won’t know which of the above will apply.

The price to replace the trim provided we can dynamically calibrate the radar is £587.50 inc vat.

The price to replace the trim with a full radar calibration is £798.50 inc vat.

This to me seems very excessive, if anyone has replaced the surround can you confirm this?

Ouch.

The Kodiaq is quite new, and there are far fewer out there, compared to the Octavia. I'm not sure many owners will have tried replacing the grill surround yet.

It makes sense that the radar will complicate things though. Given all of the complaints about radars requiring re-calibration on the MkIII Superb, and it not being covered under warranty (despite owners claims that there has been no external influence), then I don't think I'd want to be messing with it, or near it.

Purchased the surround from my dealer once the sportline was out earlier in the year as it was cheaper than superskoda when adding postage then got my dealer to fit it.

Do not recall exact price but they only charged me 2 hours labour.

i have fitted the black surround myself to the Yeti and Superb and did try on the kodiaq myself but didn't want to take it with risk the radar and you have to take more stuff off than with older skoda models

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine wrapped way before the sport line grill was available but I’ve also had the bumper off and I think it would be possible to remove the trim without disturbing the radar but still not an easy job . Been on over a year no chips or marks whatsoever 

2985477F-1CEB-4885-A0E5-5C3B6995F9DC.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/12/2018 at 00:02, C2atb said:

I got mine wrapped way before the sport line grill was available but I’ve also had the bumper off and I think it would be possible to remove the trim without disturbing the radar but still not an easy job . Been on over a year no chips or marks whatsoever 

2985477F-1CEB-4885-A0E5-5C3B6995F9DC.jpeg

Where did you get the black Skoda badge from?

9 hours ago, C2atb said:

How much did dealer charge just out of interest ? 

£160 supplied and fitted.

9 hours ago, C2atb said:

By the way keep an eye out for the sales on the SS site they do a full black badge pack and with 20% wouldn’t be too bad .

whats the next job then ? 

Possibly badges or maybe the gloss black roof rails off the VRs, just need to get a part number.

1 hour ago, andy13VRS said:

£160 supplied and fitted.

Possibly badges or maybe the gloss black roof rails off the VRs, just need to get a part number.

Wrapping the roof rails not an option?