1.5 TSI 4X4

Portman

On my Octavia vRS diesel DSG a change from 225/40-18 Goodyear F1 summer tyres to 225/45-17 Nokia winter tyres tames the wheel spin at lower temperatures. Also improved grip on cold wet roads.  I change the tyres every November/December & March. 

Edited by philbes
  • Like 1

Pretty normal in the UK every winter or if roads are cold and tyres are not the ones best suited to the weather / temperature and you do not change how you drive.

Places in the UK have snow ice now and 2 or AWD cars get about pretty well without spinning tyres by adapting driving style, & maybe checking tyre pressures.

I frequently get/had wheelspin with our 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti on Nokian all season tyres. Test drove a brand new Karoq SE L 1.5 TSI DSG two wheel drive round as many hills available near the sales garage and no wheelspin. So I'm hoping wheelspin won't be such an issue in the Karoq.

One week after signing purchase agreement we should be driving this same Karoq SE L 1.5 TSI DSG two wheel drive. The Skoda garage is still having a problem fitting an electrically folding towbar. Anyway, with the recent snow and ice the OEM tyres might not be best. A rare occasion when a 4x4 would help though I think they still need all season tyres to cope with snow and ice on the steep hills where we live.

• 8 months later...

I own a 1.5 TSI 4x4 Ambition (that's one from the common EU Karoq line, neither Scout nor Sportline). In Slovenia it was available to order for only two weeks in February 2019. Glad I was ready to order when it showed up.

Presently, if you want a petrol 4x4, you must opt for a 2.0 TSI (190 PS), usually in the Sportline version.

• Like 1

I managed to order an Edition model 1.5 4X4 in early this year, as soon as it was available I placed the order and am so far very pleased with it. Depending on the availability of drive trains in the VAG group it may appear again.