Brakes making a howling sort of sound

Ken2869

Hey everyone just wondering are my brakes not rubbing a long my callipers or rotor as when I brake quite a bit hard it starts a howiling sound especially noticeable when braking going down hill, any thoughts what this could be don’t want to leave my car over Christmas holidays LoL if it’s not a serious proble. Thanks Ken

When did you last replace the pads? Are they worn enough for the pad fixings to be rubbing on the discs?

Or maybe you've just got something like a piece of gravel stuck between the disc and the shield?

22 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

When did you last replace the pads? Are they worn enough for the pad fixings to be rubbing on the discs?

Or maybe you've just got something like a piece of gravel stuck between the disc and the shield?

I bought the car second hand you see so I’m not quite sure when the brake pads were last changed, would it be best if I get it checked 

• Haha 1

Best for you, passengers and other road users or just general public if the car gets an inspection, and maybe Servicing and Maintenance done.

Maybe a brake strip down and clean and greasing of the back of the pads, maybe more needs doing. & the *rear drums off*.

Brake Fluid changes at 3 years and then each 2 is the Manufacturers Guideline.

Servicing, so plugs, filter, brakes, steering, tyres checked etc  is a good performance enhancer.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/458573-good-performance-exhaust

Edited by Skoffski

Considering the ultra cheopo ditchfinder tyres your car came with, I expect your brake pads and discs are the very best chinese crap that the previous owner could buy.

Fit new pads at the very least, discs if they are not in good condition. Decent pads start from £20 from Eurocarparts, Carparts4less,GSF etc. You will need a 7mm  allen key to remove the caliper if you dont have one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automotive-Brake-Pad-Caliper-Removal-7mm-Hex-Allen-Key-Wrench-Car-Garage-Tool/222210261664

Could be intentional. I have had brakes that make horrid noises when they get to a certain depth of wear. Some have lights, some have horrid noises and some just end up grinding metal if you don't notice until too late. (Then you crash).