vRS 245 edition- think I’ve cooked the brakes

Hi folks, I did my 3rd track day with the 245 on Saturday (which was amazing despite it being 1degree outside!). The brakes were more than adequate and slowed things down without issue, but now I’m back doing road driving they are much softer then before. 

I’m thinking I’ve cooked the fluid and the pads could do with replacing, so was going to get my local tuning place to swap both for Ferodo stuff.  I’ve done a quick search and can see some comments about these but does anyone have any direct experience with them for track and road use? 

I had the ferodo fluid in my old fabia vrs but with yellow stuff pads and they stood up well. 

Thanks! 

I find the brakes are the one weak part on the car, too easy to cook then and very little feel or feedback from them. With regards to Ferodo pads I had some ds2500 a few years ago on a Mitsubishi evo and they were fine for fast road use but not really up to track work. I found on the rear pads the pad material seemed to be coming away from the backing plate. I ended up using Carbotech xp10 pads that were awesome on the track but a bit noisy for the road and created a lot of dust. I guess it depends on your priorities but it is difficult to find a pad that works well on the track and the road without having a compromise on one of them. As said above replace the fluid with 5.1 and see how it goes from there.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Gumby said:

Hi folks, I did my 3rd track day with the 245 on Saturday (which was amazing despite it being 1degree outside!). The brakes were more than adequate and slowed things down without issue, but now I’m back doing road driving they are much softer then before. 

I’m thinking I’ve cooked the fluid and the pads could do with replacing, so was going to get my local tuning place to swap both for Ferodo stuff.  I’ve done a quick search and can see some comments about these but does anyone have any direct experience with them for track and road use? 

I had the ferodo fluid in my old fabia vrs but with yellow stuff pads and they stood up well. 

Thanks! 

Done nearly 18,000 miles in my 245 now and pads have only worn by 10%. Recently had HEL stainless brake lines and DOT 5.1 brake fluid fitted before 1st track day at Snetterton slowing car down fron nearly 120mph twice per lap. No problems on track and cost £300 for the upgrade :party:

• Like 1

On 20/12/2018 at 16:38, shyVRS245 said:

Done nearly 18,000 miles in my 245 now and pads have only worn by 10%. Recently had HEL stainless brake lines and DOT 5.1 brake fluid fitted before 1st track day at Snetterton slowing car down fron nearly 120mph twice per lap. No problems on track and cost £300 for the upgrade :party:

Yeah I don’t think the pads are worn that much to be fair, just the fluid that isn’t as it should be! 

I personally had had no issues with the standard set up on the previous 2 days I’ve done at Snetterton, infact they really impressed me back in July in the heat! I think the last one was as much as the fluid could take though. 

I’m waiting on a quote for ferodo fluid, lines and rs3 brake ducts, and pads if they think they need replacing :muscle: