Full LED headlights faulty or not?

Hi guys i have 2018 Octavia SE-L with LED headlights and this morning i have read in manual that they will adjust 

it self acording to speed and road condition (rain).On the start up they do dance up and down (they do not go left and right) but i have never notice on motorway that they change beam patern or throw light further.Is there any way to check that is it faulty or any way to tell is working or does need to be activated?Second question is did anybody menange to activate cornering lights to be constantly on on speeds over 40mph.Thanks.

20181128_133322.jpg

Are they on Auto? If they're not, I believe they won't move. I also believe that on the LED units, the additional patterns are made with additional LEDs and not with movement, but I don't have them so haven't really looked into the details.

Cornering lights over 40? Not legal. A quick wiki look says 50km/h is the upper limit, so 30mph.

- Bret

2 hours ago, brettikivi said:

Are they on Auto? If they're not, I believe they won't move. I also believe that on the LED units, the additional patterns are made with additional LEDs and not with movement, but I don't have them so haven't really looked into the details.

Cornering lights over 40? Not legal. A quick wiki look says 50km/h is the upper limit, so 30mph.

- Bret

Thanks for reply.Regarding cornering lights that is fair enough.But regarding headlights they are constantly on auto they are never switch off and i thought that they move up or down to give specific beam pattern didn know they switch on additional leds which makes sense .If i turn on high beams i can see that my main beam moves slightly up to throw further but as soon as they are off they quickly drop down.

LEDs on my Leon are different, but your described behaviour seems consistent with mine...

Not sure you expect to dee them adjusting up and down all the time...

These are situations mine adjust on:

- When turning on, they go up, go down and then return up to correct level (this is based on car current load, as determined by rear suspension sensor and the height will remain until engine is shut off)

- When flicking long lights on and off, they will raise and lower accordingly

- if your car has that function configured and they are enabled on the in car menus, it will have motorway assistance, which means that around 100/120kph the lights raise slightly in order to cover more ground, but this is NOT the same as long lights.

The other modes you describe seem to be related to the AFS Xenon lights - the ones in my Octavia did that, but with LEDs they really don't, and I have confirmed in OBDeleven these modes are disabled.

I told the seller when I traded in the Octavia that I would miss my AFS and he told me I wouldn't, since the LED lights have a much wider pattern - he was right.

For instance, city mode was when the passenger side light would aim more to the side to light the side of the road and rain mode when it would aim lights more down to avoid glare.

Ultimate question should be: Are you happy with your LED lights or do you have any situation where you feel they don't light the road enough? ;)

6 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

LEDs on my Leon are different, but your described behaviour seems consistent with mine...

Not sure you expect to dee them adjusting up and down all the time...

These are situations mine adjust on:

- When turning on, they go up, go down and then return up to correct level (this is based on car current load, as determined by rear suspension sensor and the height will remain until engine is shut off)

- When flicking long lights on and off, they will raise and lower accordingly

- if your car has that function configured and they are enabled on the in car menus, it will have motorway assistance, which means that around 100/120kph the lights raise slightly in order to cover more ground, but this is NOT the same as long lights.

The other modes you describe seem to be related to the AFS Xenon lights - the ones in my Octavia did that, but with LEDs they really don't, and I have confirmed in OBDeleven these modes are disabled.

I told the seller when I traded in the Octavia that I would miss my AFS and he told me I wouldn't, since the LED lights have a much wider pattern - he was right.

For instance, city mode was when the passenger side light would aim more to the side to light the side of the road and rain mode when it would aim lights more down to avoid glare.

Ultimate question should be: Are you happy with your LED lights or do you have any situation where you feel they don't light the road enough? ;)

Hi thanks for reply.Mine goes up and down on start up when i turn on high beams i can see that my dipped beam raises a bit up it could be that simply i do not see when they change up on motorway but sometimes it seems like they could throw bit further.Regarding AFS i know they do not dance left or right as that is on xenons but as you said leds are much wider but it could be that if is set up to raise up a bit on 120kmh then that could be a issue as in uk speed is 70mph (110kmh) so is not very often that i go over that seep as i live next to London so lot of traffic.Bu when you go over certain speed can you actually se them raise a bit on motorway or is not noticeable?Thanks.

So that could be a issue and i never noticed my raise unles i turn high beam then you can see them go up a bit, when i go for a service i will ask them if they can raise them a bit and to check if everything is working correctly.Thanks

• Like 1

Good morning guys Merry Christmas to all of you. Yesterday i have started my car and suprise suprise this warrning has pop out and it hasn't gone away and my cornering lights stopped working so there is definitely some issues with lights. Going on 27th to check and see what is wrong.Now when i start up lights you can se both goes down but one comes up instantly while second comes up slowly but there is a plus in all this story now headlights throwing further now they look like proper led lights with proper range. 

20181224_154700.jpg

• Like 1

Hi so according to technician for some reason there was no basic settings recorded(saved) in my car so they done that and light is gone but lets see tonight if they are working fine or not.

• Like 1

I must admit that I'm getting a little concerned about the LED headlights that will be on my new RS which is now due in February, from some of the posts on here they seem to be somewhat problematical and don't have much range to them.

Not that I can do a lot about them.

2 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I must admit that I'm getting a little concerned about the LED headlights that will be on my new RS which is now due in February, from some of the posts on here they seem to be somewhat problematical and don't have much range to them.

Not that I can do a lot about them.

Is difficult to say but lights as lights they are brilliant.Today at skoda they told me that if i still think that they are to low then to pop in and they will raise them a bit with out problem but to try first like this.He said as well that if you have lots of stuff in the boot lights will not move (adjust) to motorway of city driving which i have so that might be a problem for me but any way will see today and see how it goes tonight as boot is half empty.But if im on your place i wouldn't worry as is a small percentage that have issues(and you have that on all cars).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had a drive to see how it works at night and im impressed there is much more light on the road (is not like before just in front of car very short) and on motorway you can se that throws light much further.I have a go pro so i took a video of it (stuck on bumper to look at the headlight)and you can see that it goes up slightly it raises projector over certain speed and and it constantly moves if necessary to keep beam prefect. :)

• Like 2

Hi

Also be aware that the lights work differently in the different driving modes, in 'Eco' the LED's do not seem to use as many parts of the matrix, they work the best in 'Sport' mode. I have set mine in the 'Individual' mode to perform like in 'Sport' mode, but without the noise & excessive engine revs of full 'Sport' mode.

In IMHO, I rate the full LED headlights as about the best standard headlights I have ever seen.  

28 minutes ago, vfrguy said:

Hi

Also be aware that the lights work differently in the different driving modes, in 'Eco' the LED's do not seem to use as many parts of the matrix, they work the best in 'Sport' mode. I have set mine in the 'Individual' mode to perform like in 'Sport' mode, but without the noise & excessive engine revs of full 'Sport' mode.

In IMHO, I rate the full LED headlights as about the best standard headlights I have ever seen.  

Im with you mine is always in individual mode but i can only corner light select as sport not actual headlights but now they are good before they were short but now they are spot on so can not complain and as you said it came as standard so that must be a bonus when car was ordered.

Is it possible to adjust this motorway mode to some other speed than 120km/h? For example 100 km/h would be better for me, because we have this speed limit in motorways at winter time in Finland.

3 hours ago, TimPe said:

Is it possible to adjust this motorway mode to some other speed than 120km/h? For example 100 km/h would be better for me, because we have this speed limit in motorways at winter time in Finland.

With VCDS and OBDeleven, yes. But, come on... do you really drive just 100 ;)

103 indicate is 100 real and in the motorway you can easily drive 113 indicated without trouble (110 real)

• 1 year later...
On 28/12/2018 at 20:02, Veki007 said:

Just had a drive to see how it works at night and im impressed there is much more light on the road (is not like before just in front of car very short) and on motorway you can se that throws light much further.I have a go pro so i took a video of it (stuck on bumper to look at the headlight)and you can see that it goes up slightly it raises projector over certain speed and and it constantly moves if necessary to keep beam prefect. :)

So, how is it now after over a year of "recorded base settings"? You can see well at night on highways? Have you ever had to return to the dealer's to perform another reconfiguration? 

p.s.: Where's the video, can we see it? :) 

6 hours ago, pssecho said:

So, how is it now after over a year of "recorded base settings"? You can see well at night on highways? Have you ever had to return to the dealer's to perform another reconfiguration? 

p.s.: Where's the video, can we see it? :)

Hi no issues with headlights at all.Roads are always lit well and I have not been back to dealership regarding lights only for service 🙃.Not sure if i still have a video but if not not a problem we can still make new one 😉 as soon as i get some free time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/01/2020 at 05:08, Veki007 said:

Hi no issues with headlights at all.Roads are always lit well and I have not been back to dealership regarding lights only for service 🙃.Not sure if i still have a video but if not not a problem we can still make new one 😉 as soon as i get some free time.

Hi Veki007, thanks for your reply, back then. So, I went to the dealer's previous week to reset the lights (or whatever he did there), and unfortunately it's the same. Nothing's changed. :( Now I'm not sure whether he did a proper job at all, or I shouldn't had expected better results. It would help me a great deal if you indeed recorded a new video, so I could compare the light cone to mine.  Hope you get that free time any day now ;) Kidding. Please kindly take your time & notify me when you get that chance. Thank you in advance.

4 hours ago, pssecho said:

Hi Veki007, thanks for your reply, back then. So, I went to the dealer's previous week to reset the lights (or whatever he did there), and unfortunately it's the same. Nothing's changed. :( Now I'm not sure whether he did a proper job at all, or I shouldn't had expected better results. It would help me a great deal if you indeed recorded a new video, so I could compare the light cone to mine.  Hope you get that free time any day now ;) Kidding. Please kindly take your time & notify me when you get that chance. Thank you in advance.

Hi here are couple videos they are not best quality from my phone until I buy new gopro holder https://www.dropbox.com/s/vw63hn8ron1iqt5/20200203_202205_1.mp4?dl=0 this one is with 35-40mph

And next one is 60-65mph 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fyfjeqzygukfgb/20200203_201058_1.mp4?dl=0 hopefully that helps  here is a photo as well at 60mph

20200203_201316.jpg

3 minutes ago, Veki007 said:

Hi here are couple videos they are not best quality from my phone until I buy new gopro holder https://www.dropbox.com/s/vw63hn8ron1iqt5/20200203_202205_1.mp4?dl=0 this one is with 35-40mph

And next one is 60-65mph 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fyfjeqzygukfgb/20200203_201058_1.mp4?dl=0 hopefully that helps  here is a photo as well at 60mph

20200203_201316.jpg

Thanks for the effort. I can't say. In the second video it looks like a huge improvement (doing 60-65 mph) however in the first video it still looks short at certain sections (around timestamp 00:34). To be honest, I'd have to mirror the video to see entirely how it'd be from my angle (not from the island, that is). Nevertheless thank you once again, this will definitely help me put more pressure to my dealer. 

2 minutes ago, pssecho said:

Thanks for the effort. I can't say. In the second video it looks like a huge improvement (doing 60-65 mph) however in the first video it still looks short at certain sections (around timestamp 00:34). To be honest, I'd have to mirror the video to see entirely how it'd be from my angle (not from the island, that is). Nevertheless thank you once again, this will definitely help me put more pressure to my dealer. 

Hi it was my pleasure.Regarding first video it is like that as the road goes up hill and down hill but if you look at the start of a video first 10-15 second that is the actual distance how much you get light but when it goes up and down you will get parts where lights are short as the projector only moves on motorway up and down to give you proper distance but not on those roads unfortunately but again my friend has 2017 q7 and his lights are same (non matrix led just standard leds)