Skoda messed my order up

Hi, I need some advice. I order a kodiaq in Sept, paid my deposit and was told it would be available in January.  They've just called me to say it's here, but it was built with a auto box instead of a manual gearbox  and will cost an extra £1,500 if I want it.

Has this happened to anyone else? I ordered it through carwow and feel I'm being mugged off. 4 months wasted and while I'll get my deposit off, there must be some comeback on this?

Not a chance I'd be paying the £1500 .

Tell them you don't mind waiting on the right one being built, you can drive around in the auto until yours is built sounds fair ? Or just get Skoda uk to pay the £1500. 

• Like 2

As above - tell them they can either negotiate with Skoda UK for the vehicle at the original agreed cost OR advise them you would be willing to wait for the correct spec but would need a car in the meantime...

• Like 2

If you don't mind taking the DSG, then tell them you will take it at no cost, maybe offer them £100 for it. If they won't agree or you don't want it, then tell them to deliver what you ordered asap and paid a deposit for and demand compensation for any further delay or if they cancel it.

Get carwow involved if there is an irresolvable dispute, they are also liable as part of the supply chain.

If its a 1.5tsi, you may want to reconsider in light of the problems that are being reported by some with this engine (see Karoq and Octavia section) plus the DSG would be the infamous DQ200 dry clutched box.

• Like 1

Options...

1) Order another one, have your deposit back, wait another 4-6 months.

2) Order another one, have your deposit back, wait another 4-6 months, the dealer puts you in an equivalent car, at their cost, until the replacement arrives.

3) Take the DSG, and pay the £1,500.

4) Take the DSG, and pay a contribution to the extra cost.

5) Take the DSG, and insist the dealer / Skoda UK pay the whole difference.

After waiting 4 months, and as it's 100% not your fault, then only options 2 or 5 would be accepted by me.

You'll have a fight on your hands, no one will be willing to swallow £1,500 without some resistance, the question is how much of a fuss are you prepared to make?

1 hour ago, xman said:

Get carwow involved if there is an irresolvable dispute, they are also liable as part of the supply chain.

Not true at all... Carwow act as an introducer between you and the dealer. There is no contract between you and Carwow, only you and the dealer. From their Ts&Cs:

We do not sell cars. We enable car dealers to provide you with offers for the sale or lease of cars through our sites (“Offers”). If you decide to buy or lease a car from a car dealer, you will be entering into an agreement with that dealer. We are not a party to that agreement.

But to address the OP's issue:

3 hours ago, Sheepworrier said:

there must be some comeback on this?

Yes and no, and it all depends on where the fault lies. Did you receive a copy of the order as placed on the factory system? If not, then here ends the first lesson - always make sure you get a copy of the order as placed on the factory system and ensure it is the specification you have asked for. If your dealer says this is not possible, they are lying; if the dealer refuses to supply it, then they are idiots (it covers their arses as well as yours). In either case, find a new dealer. But if this applies to you, then you're in a bit of a hole because you have no way of proving where the mistake was made. Whilst it wasn't your fault, you don't know if it was the dealer, or if the dealer is now trying to profit from a mistake further along the chain.

If you did get a copy of the order, and it was correct, then the mistake lies with the factory - escalate immediately to Skoda UK to sort out, and the dealer should be doing the same thing as they are not liable for the factory building the wrong specification. I would expect Skoda UK to either swallow the cost, or put you in a car until a replacement can be ordered. In a similar situation, my Dad agreed with the dealer (VW, not Skoda) to drive an incorrect-spec car for a few months whilst a new one was ordered (under condition he only did a reasonable amount of mileage and looked after it)... but it was proven that the dealer messed up in that particular instance.

If you did get a copy of the order, and it wasn't correct, then you really should have pointed that out at the time... :D.

But, unfortunately, if no-one is willing to budge either way (including you), then the only option is to cancel the contract and walk away. Neither the dealer nor Skoda UK (nor anyone else) has any further liability to you. The only thing you can do is to provide an honest review and feedback wherever you feel is appropriate, and if you think it necessary, warn others from buying a Skoda and/or using that dealership. You certainly don't have any rights to compensation or anything else under any piece of consumer protection legislation.

ps. I'm not criticising you (or anyone else) here - just offering advice that some dealers are idiots, humans make mistakes, and when buying a custom-spec car you really should always get a copy of what is being ordered from the factory.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xman said:

As carwow take a commission, they are legally involved. Their t&c do not absolve them from involvement.

No. You do not have any contract with Carwow. The dealer has a contract with Carwow. They are advertising through them, and it is no different to you buying a car after seeing an advert in the local newspaper.

Carwow have absolutely no liability to you if the car is not delivered, or is delivered to the incorrect specification, or has issues after you have taken delivery.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sheepworrier said:

Carwow has given me the contact details of the ombudsmen. So I'll see what the manager has to say then I'll complain to Skoda UK and the ombudsmen. 

Who is the ombudsman they’ve pointed you at, out of interest? And if it is like any other, they will probably only look at your case if you’ve been through Skoda’s formal complaints procedure first.