Pan roof and swimming pool foot wells

Nobbi1977

I have just got my L&K back from the dealer after 3 weeks.

I noticed it was steaming up inside for a couple of days before I found water running from the back of the dash. 

I thought it was heater matrix but I turned out the roof was leaking from the frame and the glass. So both had to be replaced along with interior carpets and sound deadening, again.

This on an 18 month old car is frankly unacceptable in my mind but the dealer seems to think it is all par for the course.

Moral of the story is, do not get a Yeti with a pan roof. 

Yep - true moral is never buy a car with a pan roof. I have had three over 40 years and they ALL were trouble after a year or so. Each time I said ‘never again’ but I succumbed to sales talk of ‘Oh Sir, modern pan roofs are perfected and won’t be any problem at all’. Eventually I learned my lesson the hard way. If it’s hot turn up the A/C - or buy a car with climate control so just set the temp once and that’s it for ever. Like my Yeti SE-L. 

• Thanks 1

Yep, I read stories on here about Yeti pan roof drain pipe problems when researching before I bought my Yeti.  Pipes clogging with leaves/moss/dirt/etc, and/or the pipes detaching from the drain nozzles on the roof due to poor gluing.  I think the pipes coming loose problem might have been fixed by the date yours was built, but since I was buying secondhand I specifically chose one without a sunroof to avoid any future problems once out of warranty. 

Besides, it's not that much use here anyway since I live in sunny Scotland, perhaps a better brochure description would be swimming pool cover:rain:, rather than sunroof.  They might sell more of 'em here with a change of marketing spin.:D

• Thanks 1

More often than not water In the foot wells is from bent/damaged drainage pipes FROM the panoramic roof and not the actual sunroof leaking,just down to a bad design/assembly which was never rectified during the Yeti production.

I've got the much maligned panoramic sunroof on my Yeti but to be honest hardly ever even open the blind, let alone actually open the sunroof. Think the last time I opened it fully I actually used it to transport a Grandfather Clock in, worked great too! If the sunroof on my car is going to fail soon, it won't be my problem as it goes back at the end of February. I will actually miss it, a thirsty brute for fuel but very comfortable and fairly pleasant to drive.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AllanDJ said:

I've got the much maligned panoramic sunroof on my Yeti but to be honest hardly ever even open the blind, let alone actually open the sunroof. Think the last time I opened it fully I actually used it to transport a Grandfather Clock in, worked great too! If the sunroof on my car is going to fail soon, it won't be my problem as it goes back at the end of February. I will actually miss it, a thirsty brute for fuel but very comfortable and fairly pleasant to drive.

Having had a Nissan Cashcow and a Seat Ateca as lone cars I was glad to get the  yeti back.

The Nissan was so bland and soleless to drive and just felt cheap. The Ateca was nice but I will miss the 4x4 weight of the L&K. I will not miss the fuel economy.

Loads of leases must be finishing in the next 6 months, the dealers are going to be flooded

1 hour ago, Nobbi1977 said:

The Nissan was so bland and soleless to drive and just felt cheap. The Ateca was nice but I will miss the 4x4 weight of the L&K. I will not miss the fuel economy.

What mpg do you get?....I have managed an average 44.5 mpg (actual) from mine since I  have had the last 12 months? (Although no town driving..mainly "rural" commutes).

15 minutes ago, Stubod said:

What mpg do you get?....I have managed an average 44.5 mpg (actual) from mine since I  have had the last 12 months? (Although no town driving..mainly "rural" commutes).

You're doing very well to get that mileage out of the 1.4 petrol engine! On most occasions I'll barely get 400 miles out of a tank with mine which equates to low 30's mpg at least 10 mpg less than you have managed. I can get in and around 40mpg on longer runs at 50 to 60 mph but most of the mileage has been local with a lot of urban driving and little bits of more open country road in between.

3 hours ago, Stubod said:

34-36 Mpg mainly rural driving. Lots of short straights and corners. I tend to stick to the speed limit as well so that makes it even worse.

Tyres are looking low at 13K as well. I hope they make it to the end of the lease. Might have to swap front to back for the last couple of months