Second car key wouldnt work. Now fixed! New problem though.

Hey! 

I just wanted to share my story. I wanted to use the spare key a while ago, but the central locking would not work from afar. So I opened it up and found loads of oxide. I cleaned it up with oxide cleaner, and put a new battery in. The LED started flashing when pressing the buttons but nothing happened at the car. I tried various methods found by googling but nothing worked. Then I found a post here, https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=86&t=932730 

Quoting the post:

If the ignition recode doesnt work then stick the key in the door (when the car is locked). Press and hold the unlock button on the fob whilst turning the key to unlock. Keep it held for a second longer. The red light in the door know should start flashing and thats i recoding.

This worked! After i released the button, all the windows started rolling down, one by one. And the key now works :biggrin: I havent tried starting with it, but I dont think that should be a problem. 

Now I have a problem with range with the second key I fixed. Its really short, I've changed the battery too. Is there somekind of a antenna built in that could've been damaged by the Oxide? Or did I miss the whole antenna?

Car model: Skoda Octavia 2007 Elegance. 2.0TDI

Edited by andreasw
Added car model and year.

Press the keyfob under your chin and press the button and voila the range is extended at least 50%

I cannot tell you how as it would break my oath to the magic circle :biggrin:

Probably not so good for throat cancer though but if you are a mobile phone user then your brain should be fried well before your throat.