non-DPF and gearbox question

Just wanted to quickly check the following as the more I google, the more varied the responses I get:

1. Did non-DPF 1.9TDIs extent to the facelift generation?
  2. Is the 6 speed gearbox only in the 2.0TDIs...the VRS?

Thanks!

Yes the 1.9 was available into 2010 so was available as a facelift. It was never fitted with a dpf.

The 6 speed gearbox on the diesels at least are on the 1.9 TDI 4x4, all 2.0 TDI including the vRS and the 1.9 with dsg gearbox. 

Edited by softscoop
  • Thanks 1

Yes there is the 2.0 TDI PD 140. The PD engines were fitted until 2010 and they mostly didn't have a dpf. After that the common rail engines came in and they all had a dpf.

The 2wd 2.0 PD TDI has a 6 speed gearbox and no dpf.

The 4x4 2.0 pd TDI has a 6 speed gearbox but is fitted with a dpf.

All diesel vRS came with a 6 speed gearbox and are fitted with a dpf, whether PD or CR.

On 02/01/2019 at 20:13, softscoop said:

Yes there is the 2.0 TDI PD 140. The PD engines were fitted until 2010 and they mostly didn't have a dpf. After that the common rail engines came in and they all had a dpf.

The 2wd 2.0 PD TDI has a 6 speed gearbox and no dpf.

The 4x4 2.0 pd TDI has a 6 speed gearbox but is fitted with a dpf.

All diesel vRS came with a 6 speed gearbox and are fitted with a dpf, whether PD or CR.

The PD140, isn't that the one to avoid because of the spontaneous oil pump failure?

4 hours ago, fsa said:

The PD140, isn't that the one to avoid because of the spontaneous oil pump failure?

The PD140 fitted to the Octavia aren't the affected engines.

They were fitted to the posher VAG cars like the Passat and Audi's.

4 hours ago, softscoop said:

The PD140 fitted to the Octavia aren't the affected engines.

They were fitted to the posher VAG cars like the Passat and Audi's.

Thank you.

The reputable PD130 is the one on the MKI Fabia VRS, but I wanted to check if it was fitted to any Octys MKII? I'm probably just unlucky, but can't seem to find any on the used market atm. Just wanted to check if I was on a fool's errand.

Costs £100 for a remapped ECU to bring the 105hp 1.9TDi to an alleged 145hp, that version is supposed to be the strongest and most reliable of the PD engines and I am very pleased with the upgrade, no idea of the HP but it gives me what I felt was lacking before without any detriment.

Wont give you your 6th gear though, I bought mine sight unseen and they said it was a 2.0, I had even responded with "so its a 140hp 2.0 6 speed?" but it was not responded to amongst the other communications, I did not even notice the missing 6th gear on my very short test drive :sadsmile: but on the drive home after paying it was very apparent that it must be a 105hp 1.9TDi, I actually think she genuinely believed it was a 2.0 as all the garage invoices said so.

Buyer beware :sweat: but now I have the remap and learning more about the weak points of the engines and transmissions I think that as usual fate has favoured me! I dont miss the 6th gear having never had one, my UK neighbour has a later 2.0TDi 140hp 6 speed and we are expecting his clutch and other things to fail in time.

• Thanks 1

I've got the PD140 2.0 BKD in my 59 plate L&K, with the 6 speed DSG - very happy with it in the 15 months or so I've had it!

I pretty much bought it because it was about the newest diesel i could find without a DPF.

Edited by chrisund123

29 minutes ago, chrisund123 said:

I've got the PD140 2.0 BKD in my 59 plate L&K, with the 6 speed DSG - very happy with it in the 15 months or so I've had it!

I pretty much bought it because it was about the newest diesel i could find without a DPF.

What is life like with the DSG?

I'm a convert! I'd never owned an auto before, and was pretty much against them in principal. But when I was doing some research on here I saw a lot of people singing the praises of the DSG, and since it's not a "traditional automatic" and more of a "computer controlled manual"...

Then I saw the type of car I was after come up, but it had the DSG rather than the manual I was hoping for. I went for a test drive anyway, and really liked it. It's a doddle to drive, you just have go and stop pedals now!

It does have a few quirks, shifting between D and R isn't as quick as you might like, so 3 point turns are best done at a leisurely pace. Occasionally at roundabouts etc the gearbox pre-selects the next gear up so if you see a gap and shoot for it, you might not have as much go as you were hoping for... The changes can also be a bit slow from dead cold, but literally 2 minutes is all it takes to get it working nicely. Fairly minor stuff though, and pretty much evened out by the huge upside when you're creeping about in traffic, and the smooth driving about. The economy and speed is very similar to the manual too.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chrisund123 said:

I'm a convert! I'd never owned an auto before, and was pretty much against them in principal. But when I was doing some research on here I saw a lot of people singing the praises of the DSG, and since it's not a "traditional automatic" and more of a "computer controlled manual"...

Then I saw the type of car I was after come up, but it had the DSG rather than the manual I was hoping for. I went for a test drive anyway, and really liked it. It's a doddle to drive, you just have go and stop pedals now!

It does have a few quirks, shifting between D and R isn't as quick as you might like, so 3 point turns are best done at a leisurely pace. Occasionally at roundabouts etc the gearbox pre-selects the next gear up so if you see a gap and shoot for it, you might not have as much go as you were hoping for... The changes can also be a bit slow from dead cold, but literally 2 minutes is all it takes to get it working nicely. Fairly minor stuff though, and pretty much evened out by the huge upside when you're creeping about in traffic, and the smooth driving about. The economy and speed is very similar to the manual too.

Thanks for the insight, it's really helpful and broadens my search a little. What about the extra DSG oil servicing? Is that pricey?

It's once every 4 years for the DSG oil and filter, I think the fixed price at the main dealer is £179, so it's not a massive expense. I'm a keen DIY'er though so I did mine myself once it was out of warranty, cost £90 for a the genuine oil and filter and a couple of hours leisurely tinkering on a sunny day!

15 minutes ago, chrisund123 said:

It's once every 4 years for the DSG oil and filter, I think the fixed price at the main dealer is £179, so it's not a massive expense. I'm a keen DIY'er though so I did mine myself once it was out of warranty, cost £90 for a the genuine oil and filter and a couple of hours leisurely tinkering on a sunny day!

Thanks so much for this...it helps to know it can be DIYed given that I used to do all the oil change servicing and 3-spanner Haynes manual repairs myself where possible.