Mk111 Dsg query

I’m looking at buying a L&K MY 2017/18. This will be my 3rd Superb having owned the two previous incarnations. Firstly a mk1 1.9 tdi elegance and currently a mk2 1.6 greenline elegance. Both of these have been a manual gearbox. The mk1 did just over 200k miles before I px’ed it against the mk2. The mk2 is currently on 160k. Neither of these had problems with the gearbox. 

The mk3 I’m looking at has DSG, is there any major problems with the dsg box on these?

I will be keeping it for the next 7 years, by which time it will have 160-170k miles. 

The majority of mileage, approximately 85% I cover is motorway mileage. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on whether I should go for the dsg gearbox or look elsewhere for a manual.

Thanks Jon

I've got a 16-plate L&K 2.0TDI 4x4 with the six speed DSG. 

It's a wonderful machine - I came from a manual Insignia and it's a revelation.  I won't be going back - it's silky smooth with the changes, but then I don't drive like Lewis Hamilton!  They can get a little confused when pulling up to junctions or roundabouts - I'm frequently finding it knocking into 2nd on a roundabout when it could do it in 3rd, but that's just me.  I also find tapping the brakes going downhill will cause it to kick down a couple of gears, but then that's not necessarily a bad thing either.  Overall, very happy with it.

I know it's an extra for servicing - from memory they require an oil change every 40k to keep them at their best (well, the wet-clutch versions do, I don't know about the dry-clutch ones).  

A

With 85% of your time spent on the motorway, DSG with ACC will be a revelation. Makes mile munching so much more relaxing. 

My previous cars had ACC but were manuals. Not exactly a hardship but once you switch to DSG you will realise how much a manual ‘dulls’ the convenience and practicality of ACC 

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

With 85% of your time spent on the motorway, DSG with ACC will be a revelation. Makes mile munching so much more relaxing. 

My previous cars had ACC but were manuals. Not exactly a hardship but once you switch to DSG you will realise how much a manual ‘dulls’ the convenience and practicality of ACC 

Thats the main reason I’m looking at going to dsg with ACC I’ve heard it’s a lot easier experience especially in traffic jams. 

My concern is later once any warranty has run out and the reliability 

1 hour ago, Jonlander1 said:

Which type of clutch would be on the MY 17/18?

sorry not that knowledgeable on this.

Its inside the auto box & if its a 6 speed DSG it should be a 7 plate wet (as its covered in oil) clutch,  The 7 speed DSG has Twin DRY plate clutches. The earlier 6 plate clutches in the VAG group cars was a disaster!

lts IMPERATIVE that you get the the auto box oil changed every 40,000 miles (64000KM) & if you have a 4X4, the Haldex oil changed every 30,000 miles (48000 KM) otherwise you'd be looking for trouble!

As a matter of choice...A DSG every time!

19 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

Its inside the auto box & if its a 6 speed DSG it should be a 7 plate wet (as its covered in oil) clutch,  The 7 speed DSG has Twin DRY plate clutches. The earlier 6 plate clutches in the VAG group cars was a disaster!

lts IMPERATIVE that you get the the auto box oil changed every 40,000 miles (64000KM) & if you have a 4X4, the Haldex oil changed every 30,000 miles (48000 KM) otherwise you'd be looking for trouble!

As a matter of choice...A DSG every time!

Thanks George, so will the 7 speed dry clutch be in the MY 2017/18? 

Also does the 40,000 mile oil change  apply to the 7 speed?

is the 7 speed dry clutch more reliable or are there common recurring faults?

sorry for all the questions but before I spend my money I want as much information so as to make an informed decision.

thanks

No VW Group car with over 250 Nm torque gets 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG, ones called the DQ200.

As to Skoda / VW 1.6TDI with or without SCR & a DQ200 DSG, i would avoid.

2.0 lt TDI or TSI will not have a DQ200,

So no problems really with 6 Speed Wet or now the 7 speed wet.   Well other than those with a few giving issues.

Edited by Skoffski

6 hours ago, Jonlander1 said:

Thanks George, so will the 7 speed dry clutch be in the MY 2017/18? 

Also does the 40,000 mile oil change  apply to the 7 speed?

is the 7 speed dry clutch more reliable or are there common recurring faults?

sorry for all the questions but before I spend my money I want as much information so as to make an informed decision.

thanks

To be honest I don't know if the 7 speed dry clutch is fitted to a 2017 model, more likely to be fitted to the 2018 models. & I don't know the oil change intervals for these later models

IMHO, its too early to say if the 7 speed twin dry cluctches have any problems, but providing the gearbox oil is changed at the right intervals the 6 speed 7 plate  wet clutch gearboxes have been proved to be very reliable, yes there will always be the odd exception, but hey, as all things mechanical, theres always the possibility of failure, no matter how close to perfection the manufactures attempts to aspire too!

For example: there's an American company that made 7 people carriers,  with a 2 ton cargo deck at the rear, each one cost in excess of 100 billion $ to make & every time they were used they got a complete overhaul costing approx 2 billion $...So you woul think that they were the most reliable form of transport ever built by mankind......

They're called the Space Shuttle! I rest my case!

• Confused 1

^^^

Now 7 Speed twin dry clutch DSG (DQ200) are only fitted to 1.6TDI, 1.0 & 1.5 TSI's.  No more than 150ps / 250Nm.

7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG have no service interval Schedule for Oil Changes.

That is for 6 & 7 Speed Wet Clutch.

Edited by Skoffski

3 hours ago, k.young said:

I don't know if this is relevant but I put 650,000kms on a 6 speed DSG Octavia PD140

Yes, you read that correctly..........650,000kms

Lots of motorway driving? They are very easy on any type of gearbox anyway. And it's a wet clutch so it's the better one. 

Yes, a lot of motorway but also a lot of A and B road driving..........I'm in Ireland so they weren't easy kms. 

And just to make it fruity..... I had the car remapped once I had covered a couple of thousand kms, the car had nowhere close to what could be considered an easy motorway life!! 

I stopped driving it in 2014 but have since spotted it still being driven around Dublin. 

I also reckon that it maybe had 3 DSG services during my ownership. 

21 hours ago, k.young said:

I don't know if this is relevant but I put 650,000kms on a 6 speed DSG Octavia PD140

Yes, you read that correctly..........650,000kms

I thought I was bad doing around 40-50k kms a year.   How many years did that take you?

Just over 7 years... 

I have 580,000kms on my Volvo now that I bought half way through 2014 with 160,000 on the clock. 

I spend a lot of time driving!!