Turbo Wastegate actuator failure (remapped car)

Hi all!

I've got a 2014 Seat Toledo 1.2 tsi 105 bhp, essentially the same car as the Rapid. I'm writing here, because there's a lot more information about the Rapid than the Toledo.

Anyway, my car's developed a turbo Wastegate actuator problem. I've done some research online and found that it was a fairly common problem on pre 2012 cars and I found out that my car has the same engine code as those pre 2012 cars (CBZB), even though it was made in 2014. So I raised my issue to Seat, but they don't wanna hear about it and said that they only do good will gesture if the car's still under warranty and got full service history, which is not the case (1 year out of warranty and 2 Seat service + 1 by my local garage). So I've ordered the new Wastegate actuator from Seat (£185) and gonna get it fixed by the garage which did the remap as well, because the labour only gonna cost £80 whereas it would be £200 with Seat.

So my question is, has anyone else has had similar problems with their car and after it's fixed should I sell the car before any other problems arise, which there might be quite a lot with these engines from what I've found online.

Thanks!

This fault was supposedly fixed after a few recalls and design changes up to 2012.

However, my 2014 105 had the same symptoms at 26000, but still under guarantee.

Bad news on mine - the actuator change was done at Westgate SEAT but 50 miles later it was back into limp mode.

A new turbo then went in and the fault cleared for good.

Edited by camelspyyder

I think you may find it might be the waste gate mechanism that wears/sticks/seizes so actuator eventually struggles to move it to correct position in time. P334b error code or similar. From what I work out  its probably excessive heat to blame. Had it happen on one our (2013) Fabias at 101k , the one that cruises at high speed on motorways most of the time.

Cost to change Turbo/Actuator and adapt £1333 at Skoda dealer (they also quoted £254 to change actuator if I wanted to risk that) 2 yr parts and labour warranty.

Cheaper source for bits here

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/03f145701rx-turbocharger-1-2tsi-63kw-77kw-skoda-20386.html

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/03f145701rx-turbocharger-1-2tsi-63kw-77kw-ihi-22624.html (IHI make the turbos for VAG)

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/03f145701rsad-turbocharger-seal-1-2tsi-63kw-77kw-elring-28554.html

Edited by xman

Yeah, the fault code is p334b. I'll just get the actuator changed now and if turbo fails later I might just push the car in the river ;)

On the serious note, I wonder if it would make sense to get rid of the remap and put it back to it's original state and then go to Seat and get the wastegate done by them and if the turbo fails later I might be able to negotiate with them or get a good will gesture. I wonder if they'd notice that it's been remapped.

Mind you they already told me that I have to pay for all.

4 minutes ago, Joe87 said:

Do you guys think the remap might have had anything to do with it?

Not really. Lots of standard cars get it. One theory was that gently driven cars were prone to it, but xman post above is the opposite.

Good luck with changing the actuator, keep us all informed how it works out. Will help others here decide what to do if the problem affects them.

In my case, the car is vital for work, breakdowns can cost dearly with loss of future work, so I decided to spend £1333.

No worry then, 2 year full warranty, shiny new turbo and actuator, car running great, should hopefully last another 100k+.

Skoda Tech said they are technically exchange rebuild units even though they look brand new and are probably better than the original units. Makes sense if they have been properly heat cycled through previous use, and so fully stress relieved (dimensions wont change which might be the reason behind sticky wastegate operation).

Even if I only get, worst case, 3 years, 60,000 miles, at £37 per month its much cheaper than buying a new car or risking a second hand car with unknown problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skoffski said:

Probably not, but remapped by whom?

The actuators fail as cars leave the factory, so who knows.   Turbos as well.

EcoPower tuning Hull

Gets good reviews.

Without full Skoda service history, or a history of good customer, doubtful. But you can always try. Be aware that goodwill is an arrangement between a dealer and Skoda UK. The dealer agrees to fund some goodwill and Skoda UK match it. So depends on history. The alternative is if you can prove it is a known issue (TPIs etc)

• Like 1

@Joe87   Have you asked EcoPower Tuning Hull about a good deal or the new parts and fitting?

Asking Skoda / VW or Dealers about Gestures seems to me a bit much with an out of warranty car without full main dealer servicing and running non factory approved software / engine management.

Even if there is 'Known Issues'. 

But if you never ask you never know.

I don't know whether to get it done by Seat, it would be more expensive and they would find out that it's been remapped, or go to EcoPower tuning or get the remap removed (£50) and then go to Seat hoping they wouldn't find out about the remap and hoping for a good will gesture (which I don't think is gonna happen anyway).

I don't know what to do.

I think I'm just gonna get the part from Seat and than get it done be EcoPower tuning (save myself £100) and then just wait for the turbo to fail afterwards :(

32 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@Joe87   Have you asked EcoPower Tuning Hull about a good deal or the new parts and fitting?

Asking Skoda / VW or Dealers about Gestures seems to me a bit much with an out of warranty car without full main dealer servicing and running non factory approved software / engine management.

Even if there is 'Known Issues'. 

But if you never ask you never know.

Yes, I did ask, EcoPower tuning would do it for £80, which is a good price in my opinion.

Seat has already said no to the good will gesture.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xman said:

Good luck with changing the actuator, keep us all informed how it works out. Will help others here decide what to do if the problem affects them.

In my case, the car is vital for work, breakdowns can cost dearly with loss of future work, so I decided to spend £1333.

No worry then, 2 year full warranty, shiny new turbo and actuator, car running great, should hopefully last another 100k+

Even if I only get, worst case, 3 years, 60,000 miles, at £37 per month its much cheaper than buying a new car or risking a second hand car with unknown problems.

I only got 26k from new :sadsmile:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

I only got 26k from new :sadsmile:

Got an Octavia 2011 with this engine still going at 119k (turbo shim fitted on early style engine). I wonder if this affects post 2012 production years more with the revised engine.

One member at least has used penetrating oil to free up the wastegate operating shaft. Presumably he disconnected the actuator at the wastegate end, then squirted said penetrating oil at the shaft going into the housing while wiggling the operating lever. It cured it for him, at least temporarily, as he hasn't reported back.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1