Tow Bar Electric problem octy 07 sedan

Hey! 

I'm from Sweden and don't know the exact words for what I'm trying to describe, but I hope you will understand either way.

I don't get any electric coming out of my octys towing bar electric outlet. I've checked the fuses and that's not the fault. Is there any common faults with these outlets? Thanks!

Hi Andreas

Your towbar electrics will involve a bypass relay unit which provides power to the towbar socket connections.  If you have no power at all on any of the connections I would look at this first.

1 minute ago, StickyMicky said:

Hi Andreas

Your towbar electrics will involve a bypass relay unit which provides power to the towbar socket connections.  If you have no power at all on any of the connections I would look at this first.

Thanks! Where is the relay located? Under the bootcarpet? :)

I had exactly the same problem, I located the relay which was under the side storage pocket and found that it had no power to it, the clue would have been that none of the outputs were working, I traced the big main feed wire all the way back to the engine bay by lifting the sill trims etc and then was very embarrassed to find that it was myself who had removed the bodged up ring terminal from the battery +ve lead because it did not appear to do anything and looked a fire risk :o

I reconnected it via an in line fuse to one of the fusible link terminals on the underbonnet fuse box and then the battery box cover fitted properly, they had completely mucked that up as well.

afterwards the towing electrics worked perfectly, the relay is to prevent canbus and bulb error warnings.

From my own experience and what JR said I would look in the bottom of the door pockets first.  They provide a convenient concealed space and are close to the lighting connections the bypass relay needs to bridge into.  Plan B would be the spare wheel well, plan C would be "follow the wires" :)

1 hour ago, StickyMicky said:

From my own experience and what JR said I would look in the bottom of the door pockets first.  They provide a convenient concealed space and are close to the lighting connections the bypass relay needs to bridge into.  Plan B would be the spare wheel well, plan C would be "follow the wires" :)

I'm not sure what you mean with door pockets. Do you mean the interior "pockets" inside of the doors?

6 minutes ago, andreasw said:

I'm not sure what you mean with door pockets.

Sorry, I misspoke, I should have said "boot pockets", which are on either side of the boot space by the rear light clusters.

2 hours ago, StickyMicky said:

Sorry, I misspoke, I should have said "boot pockets", which are on either side of the boot space by the rear light clusters.

Haha thanks! I was really struggling to find the doors relevant :biggrin:

• 8 months later...

I didnt fit the towbar & electrics but I found the relay at the bottom of the LH rear boot pocket looking into the boot, from there was probably the most direct route to the battery where it was connected, I moved it to the fusebox above the battery, it could equally have been in the RH pocket if it were wired to the fuse box on the side of the facia.

Mine had sat in some water in the past, I would drill a drain hole and lift it up on a spacer as a precaution.

If you were really lazy & did not think too long & hard about the consequences it could be wired to the rear power socket, that is not a recommendation.