Anyone want a Skoda Octavia 1.0Tsi SE Tech on a cheap lease?

2 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The Citroen on a PCP is worked out more expensive than the VW Arteon on a PCH?

Not really, comparing a yearly cost the Cactus is costing about £2,230 per year and the Arteon is £3,350. The Cactus worked out well because they were shifting stock for the new model and the equity in the old C1 covered nearly all of the deposit for it, and my wife really wanted a Cactus! So it all made sense. She isn't sure what she'll want to do with the car so PCP made more sense for her. I did look at leasing deals at the time but I couldn't find anything that was comparable in monthly cost, and they were the new models that I could find and my wife doesn't like the new model.

9 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

If the car is asking for a service, then it isn't an unnecessary expense.

It is for me if I'm about to hand it back. It might not be for the car, but the people I'm handing it back to are the owners, as you pointed out yourself, so if they don't want me to service it that's their look out.

9 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

gRoberts didn't say who told him to not bother servicing the car, but if someone is clearing the service reminder without servicing the car then they're being dishonest.

I completely agree, 100% but as above, that's not my responsibility. I've rented the car, if they insist on me servicing it then it will be serviced, but if they say "nah, don't bother" then I won't.

8 minutes ago, Redboy said:

I think you're on a loser there Silver. the leasing game is to pay the least and get the most, and if you can get away with it why not? Probably why we see posters calling dealers stealers, then having DTUK boxes fitted to  their cars trying to hide performance gains to protect future warranty repairs undertaken by the very same 'stealers'. 

I don't believe I've ever called a dealer a stealer. I also haven't ever modified any vehicle I've owned, so let's not tar everyone with the same brush...

30 minutes ago, Redboy said:

I think you're on a loser there Silver. the leasing game is to pay the least and get the most, and if you can get away with it why not? Probably why we see posters calling dealers stealers, then having DTUK boxes fitted to  their cars trying to hide performance gains to protect future warranty repairs undertaken by the very same 'stealers'. 

By all means play the game, but not dishonestly.

The terms and conditions of the lease make it quite clear, that the car must be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Playing the game is making sure you have the car set to variable servicing, rather than fixed, taking the tyres to just above the legal limit, running it on supermarket rather than branded fuel, driving everywhere in 6th to save fuel rather than preserve the DMF.

Clearing the service reminder is a step too far.

Thankfully trying to cheat Skoda Finance won't work anyway. They'll know it hasn't been serviced. Skoda UK often check their electronic records to see if it's been done. Returning a car with more than 18,000 miles on after a 2 year lease without proof-of-service and it's likely to get picked up.

22 minutes ago, maffyou said:

I completely agree, 100% but as above, that's not my responsibility. I've rented the car, if they insist on me servicing it then it will be serviced, but if they say "nah, don't bother" then I won't.

Just be careful who you listen to. A dealer (or someone else) may well tell you not to bother servicing it, but it isn't them checking the car at the end of the lease. It's BCA (British Car Auctions), and they have a strict checklist from Skoda Finance which they tend to follow quite rigidly.

"John Smith told me I didn't need to have it serviced" won't go down well I wouldn't have thought.

You pays your money and takes your chances.

36 minutes ago, maffyou said:

Not really, comparing a yearly cost the Cactus is costing about £2,230 per year and the Arteon is £3,350. The Cactus worked out well because they were shifting stock for the new model and the equity in the old C1 covered nearly all of the deposit for it, and my wife really wanted a Cactus! So it all made sense. She isn't sure what she'll want to do with the car so PCP made more sense for her. I did look at leasing deals at the time but I couldn't find anything that was comparable in monthly cost, and they were the new models that I could find and my wife doesn't like the new model.

My bad, I meant to say Nissan, not Citroen.

The Nisan PCP, after handing it back, has (I'm assuming) worked out more expensive than the Arteon's PCH will.

41 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

If the car is asking for a service, then it isn't an unnecessary expense.

4 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

They'll know it hasn't been serviced. Skoda UK often check their electronic records to see if it's been done. Returning a car with more than 18,000 miles on after a 2 year lease without proof-of-service and it's likely to get picked up.

Not all the cars that are currently being returned will have electronic service books but those that have can be checked and those that haven't, will be looked at. No 'stamp' and expect to pay - and rightly so.

• Like 1

We're not talking about avoiding any service all together (or at least I'm not), I'm talking about hoping to not have to make two services on the car in the 2 years of owning it. And I'm not talking about clearing a service reminder myself, or getting someone else to do it for me, and I don't think @gRoberts is either. This is the people taking the car back saying "Ok it says service in 500 miles, don't bother we'll just clear that". If you hand it back at that point, you have met the terms and conditions of the lease agreement, because the service isn't due, it's due imminently. Just like handing it back with 1.7mm of tread on the tyres - they're road legal, but basically need replacing imminently. I don't see any difference in those two things.

Because the poor bugger who gets the car after you is going to have a car that needs a service, but won't know it.

In other words, for your personal gain, you're adversely impacting someone else. It's not on.

If the T&C's say you can return a car with the service reminder on, then so be it. If the T&C's say if the reminder is on then you need to service it, then service it.

The issue here is clearing the service indicator without servicing the car.

3 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

If the T&C's say you can return a car with the service reminder on, then so be it. If the T&C's say if the reminder is on then you need to service it, then service it.

Perhaps someone can check this please? :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Because the poor bugger who gets the car after you is going to have a car that needs a service, but won't know it.

In other words, for your personal gain, you're adversely impacting someone else. It's not on.

The issue here is clearing the service indicator without servicing the car.

I've already agreed with you that the service indicator being cleared without a service being completed is wrong. But that's out of my hands in this situation. 

If you're telling me that you had a car with the service reminder on and went to hand it back and they said "yeah that's fine you don't need to service it" but you then went and got it serviced anyway, then that's up to you, but I think that it's unnecessary. We disagree on that point, which is fine, but I don't think the individual would be in the wrong in any way, shape, or form for just returning it on the basis you've been told that it's ok to do so.

I'll also clarify (again) that I'm not talking about trying to skip any service all together, but hoping that I don't have to pay for two services.

5 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

From my last Skoda Finance issued PCH paperwork...

image.png.8a5ed452ffc7f6342cd0368ae2dc3fb8.png

And if on the date of return it says the service is due, then it should be done. But at the same time, if the company I'm returning it to tell me I don't need to, then why would I?

Also, if we want to get technical, then if it says service due in 500 miles on the date of return, then technically you are following the manufacturers recommendations by not servicing it, because it isn't yet due, not for another 500 miles.

As already asked, who is telling you that you don't need to service the car? If it's the leasing company i.e. Skoda Finance, and you have it in writing, then there's nothing to worry about.

If it's a salesman at your local dealer telling you, whilst in the same breath trying to get you to sign up to another PCH, then this won't stick.

The moral of this now significantly derailed thread is, if the car is asking for a service whilst in your possession, then service it, don't just clear the service indicator. If you do, then chances are you'll get your fingers burnt.

Edited by silver1011

To clarify. Based on various conversations, experiences and what not, you can hand back any VWFS leased car (PCH or PCP) with the service reminder on so long as the count down is positive.

If you hand it back and it's past the indicated service date, you could argue that vag allow you a grace period when maintaining your warranty so you could get away with a few hundred miles or weeks too. 

If you had a 2 year lease on a fixed service and handed it back, resetting the service, not completing any service then sure but if it's on variable, the likelihood is it would be going back still with time left to get serviced.

Then you also have to remember. There is no obligation to get your car regardless of finance or not, serviced at a vag/Skoda dealership.

So long as you have a vat registered receipt showing vag approved parts etc were uses then you're fine. 

BCA, from what I have heard have a huge contract with VWFS as part of the process where they prepare cars, including ensuring the car is topped up etc. 

I handed my car back after 2 years with 10k on the clock and had to pay £215 for 45 mins of work, replacing just the oil and filter. Didn't even get a valet or wash!

• Like 1

I think I sparked this conversation in the first place, so just to remind what I was asking and what I was told by Mercedes Benz.

I’m about to take another 2 year lease. My Merc is on a 2 year PCP and I’d taken out a service plan to pay for 2 services during my ownership. I asked Mercedes Benz finance if I needed to do the second service if it was due a few days before I returned the car. They said no, they have a 30 day grace period.

i then questioned if it was worth paying £300 for two services on my new golf lease, rather than just £179 for one service.

Looks like getting one service is the cheaper option that is still acceptable to the leasing company. I plan on servicing it once, not twice.

In terms of the next owner, chances are the car will be bought at auction by a dealer, or even just put back into the manufacturer network as it’s 2 years old. The dealer will then likely service it before selling it on to an individual, hence no need for one at the end of my lease period.

Its right that in a PCH you’re trying to get a new car for the least possible money as you don’t plan to keep it, otherwise you’d buy or PCP. It’s just about playing the game right (not dishonestly, which I don’t think anyone here is disputing).  

My golf will be put on variable servicing but I’m planning on doing relatively low mileage. So if the car indicates it needs a service within 1 year (ragging, short hops etc) then I probably will take out the service plan as chances are it will need a second one well before the end. But if I manage to get to, say, 15 months before the first service is due, I’ll probably just pay for the service as I’d expect the second one not to be due before the end of my lease.

Do mos manufacturers allow 30 days grace?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, maffyou said:

It is for me if I'm about to hand it back. It might not be for the car, but the people I'm handing it back to are the owners, as you pointed out yourself, so if they don't want me to service it that's their look out.

I don't believe I've ever called a dealer a stealer. I also haven't ever modified any vehicle I've owned, so let's not tar everyone with the same brush...

If you want to tar yourself that’s up to you. :D. I wrote posters, not you specifically. 

10 hours ago, zeddicus said:

Do mos manufacturers allow 30 days grace?

I'm sure that they give you a reasonable grace period when it comes to honouring a warranty claim, but I bet my left boll*ck they'll have double standards when it comes to handing back.

You could argue it though...