oil consumption

harrysvr

Welcome.

As said in your owners manual, a new engine might use some more oil in the first 5,000 km.  So checking the oil is recommended.

Then there is how a car is used, short cold start trips or longer ones.

Example of a Manual, not a Karoq one though.

w960_3927-184.png.f6438923d2fbc7549b92817bdbfa6a2f.png

• Thanks 1

PS

Now that VW Group engines get VW508 / 509 oil filled at the factory, so 0w  20 FS LL rather than 5w30 FS LL we will see if changing oil to get WLTP results 

ends up with any engines using more oil than previously or pre -WLTP introduction.

Supposedly use less fuel & emit less emissions under WLTP test conditions and need more Oil in the 'real world use', as happened with lots of VW Group Euro 5 engines when they were introduced.

Then some engines in some cars just use oil and some do not, and some use far too much. Like 2 Strokes.

Below is for Petrol engines, so check the spec for Diesels with Euro 5 d temp engines.

166593407_Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4(1).png.5cf0e7c5b4488b1f7cacf2e7a6b1f09d.png

Edited by Skoffski
  • Thanks 1

I`ll fill it up again and check it...

Do you think the consumption caused by the driving style? (highway 80%=160-180km/h)

(because when took it from the dealer-16km-he confirm me that everything checked before delivery , thats why I`m worry.

• Like 1

Everything should be checked at the factory and before delivery, it would be an idiot that says,

'No idea, we never check the oil at the PDI!'.

Did you check the level when the car / engine was cold and then @ operating temp when you got it home, then anytime since before now?

The level can be slightly low as a car is Handed Over.  So it is important to always check when new and after a Dealership has serviced, 

if you do not know what you start with or where on the dipstick then how do you know.

As it is your oil use sounds normal for a new 1.6TDI.  Some might not use oil, some might do. 

If VW Group just admitted that to get low Fuel Use there can be higher Oil Usage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Current Karoq is 1.0L petrol - has used about 1/4 of the dipstick level in 5.5K miles.

Previous Yeti (2.0L Diesel) used about 3/4 of the dipstick in around 10k miles and it settled down over next period and used very little -so I'd say normal for a new engine but just check to be sure. Diesels usually a bit more consumed than petrol.

Fair point but only do short runs and have MFD showing oil temp. Some schools of thought suggest the higher the level the oil higher the burn off rate. I top up if going on longer/ faster runs if needed I don't let it get to low end of dipstick.

I've been thinking back to oil consumption on my diesel Yeti. With 600 miles on the clock I did a near 700 mile tow. I put 250ml in the next morning and over the following 35,000 miles another 250ml. Judging by this your 500ml sounds a bit high over such a low mileage, or has my consumption been low?

Colin

Depending on where you're from (your profile doesn't tell us your location), you are still currently covered under the manufacturers warranty, and likely have another year or two at a minimum of warranty cover remaining.

Almost all engines use some oil in their initial first few months / few thousand miles / km's.

Top it up to the MAX, and then check again periodically over the next 4,500 km's / 2,800 miles.

If it drops again, especially if it's close to half a litre again, then it would be time to alert your local dealer.

Make sure you document now how much oil you're topping up with and how often.

• Like 1

@Grumpy Geaser   I would be interested to know where some people train of thought is on higher oil level and quicker burn off.

Is this with Road & Track and modern engines and oils.   For some reason VW group give advice about Summer, High Alpine Passes, Towing etc 

and it is not run the Oil level low or below the engines oil capacity.

Correct oil level, max capacity, not overfilled will be giving the max cooling possibility from good clean oil.

Old dirty oil is not giving the best cooling or lubrication, and less oil takes more cooling from the coolant system in a car.

Hence low oil, oil hotter and takes longer to bring the temp lower as the load on the engine reduces.

With some low oil capacity engines like 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5 TSI engines the oil can be over 1 litre low and no Low Oil Warning light or message and the Low Oil Pressure Light or message can come on before the Low Oil warning.

w960_4095-227.png.b23b02239ceecffab9f7f4e945e494ff.png

Edited by Skoffski

As said before basically agree but I'm happy to keep above 1/2 for my driving style/ distances covered. My 1.0l engine after 5.5k is just getting down to bottom of the A section which I think is very fair for a new engine - will only be another 3k or so 'til first service. Way better that a Vectra I once had (from new) which used 1L every 3k miles.

The burn off info was discussed some years ago on a LR Freelander site where some owners noted faster consumption when topped right up - they then worried about DPF's being stressed.

I've not had a Skoda or VW which used much after first few K miles.

• 4 months later...

FWIW I have just put 0.5l oil into my 2.0TDi after 16k miles (25k KM). It would probably have gone to the service due in 3K miles without a top up, but I have  tour of Scotland coming up so added some for a safety margin.

@Luckypants

How did the oil on the dipstick look at 16,000 miles.

When my SEAT 2.0TDI SCR / DSG was at that miles it was like clotted cream even though it had had some top ups,

by 19,000 miles it was treacle & by the time that it was into the dealership for the oil and filter change i felt for that engine.

It did great MPG though and even better after the new oil and filter.

I would never run a car i owned that long on Oil, even Long Life Oil. 

Long life oil / variable - flexible servicing and a car i would not want to own after 5 years.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

DSCN0237.JPG.07f982af200a8c50948ec2bc047e1453.JPG.a333181e9ca9f099ed1e9b861b551351.JPG

Edited by Skoffski

It looked pretty good for 16K old oil. Black as you would expect, but felt viscous and 'soapy' in my fingers - still like oil should in my limited experience. No clotted cream around the filler or dipstick, no bubbles or anything. It ran off the dipstick not too quick and not too slow when I held it up. Checked hot after a 8 mile run home, last 5 up-hill. Granted, if it was mine I'd have changed the oil before now, but its a lease and I'll follow the manufacturers schedule :blush: In fact the Citigo we own has had 2 oil changes so far in it's 7k mile life.

I was pretty careful to get the right oil to add, there are so many specifications now it is not clear what oil you should use. The days of buying a litre at the petrol station for a top up are long gone, what with long life servicing, DPFs, Ad-blue and all the other gubbins that can be affected. Have to say Opie Oils website was helpful and I ordered from them as living in the sticks means a long trip to get the correct oil. For the record I got Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L. (Try saying that after a pint!)

• Thanks 1

VW 504 / 507  so 5w 30 FS III (long life)

and now they all leave the factory with VW508/509 so 0w 20 FS IV (long life)  time will tell about engine life...

which saved VW Group cheating tests with diesel in the engine oil of TDI's, not that they ever did that..

Edited by Skoffski