moisture inside and dodgy boot release

harpix42

Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 skoda fabia MK1.

I've noticed a lot of condensation inside my car, particularly on the inside of the windscreen and the rear window. However there's no water to be seen in the footwell or within the doorframe. I've read about the common door leak issue with this model. Before I take on the job of resealing, I just wanted to check that it might not be another issue? I only ask because I cant find any water pooling anywhere. but then again I'm at a loss of how else the condensation keeps forming. 

This looks like a pretty decent video for how to reseal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MMRjCZBHfY

The only other issue I have with the car is a very dodgy boot release mechanism. It's one of those where you have to pull a lever in the driver side footwell. I often have to pull the lever a few times, lift the boot (it doesn't open), go back round to pull the boot release again AND only then does it open. Although sometimes, especially when icy it just wont open at all.

There are a few moving parts to the mechanism. Would anyone be able to offer any advice on where to start with say lubrication or any other advice would be most welcome.

Thank you!

James

Edited by harpix42

There is a spring-loaded plunger which pops the boot lid up. Give it a push and check it's still springy.

ftr34456.jpg

Does your car not also have the electric boot release just above the number plate?

I have this problem ( and I know it's down to bad door seals-something else to do come summer time) , but for now, I've come up with a solution. I've also had door lock problems when it's freezing, and all doors stuck with ice. I found a bottle of "overnight de icer " in local Poundland. It works on screen, but it also works on door locks and wiped over the rubbers on boors and boot/hatch it stops the dreaded door stick. Cost- yep -£1

Try silicon spray on the lock. Condensation inside the car is a common problem poor door seals. There is a guy on u tube that uses rope/twine to tighten the seals which looks like a cheap feasible alternative to the problem.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for the advice!

The spring loaded plunger is very springy which is good. I'll try some silicon spray first. and i'll wipe the boots seals with de-icer. 

Thanks for the tips, i'll try it out and get back to you!

Thanks,

James

On 08/02/2019 at 09:17, harpix42 said:

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for the advice!

The spring loaded plunger is very springy which is good. I'll try some silicon spray first. and i'll wipe the boots seals with de-icer. 

Thanks for the tips, i'll try it out and get back to you!

Thanks,

James

Had this on mine, didn't work from inside or off the fob, in the end I checked the switch contacts with a meter and you could see there was a signal going to it so I just replaced the boot lock plate entirely with another used one, been fine since :D

• 2 months later...

Thought i would say that I finally got round to doing this and it has been really worth it!

No more condensation on the inside of the windscreen! No more having to scrape ice off the inside of the car as well as the outside. AND the car smells so much better.

Really recommend doing it if you're reading this and thinking about it.

Two tricky areas....

1) Getting the door card off once you've removed all the screws is really hard. I had to pull really hard. Broke all the plastic clip things. For the second door card I did  alittle better... I used a screwdriver to get some leverage and make a small gap between the door card and the door itself. I then managed to get a paint stripper tool in the gap to remove a few of the clips first. Made it a lot easier but if you look closely i've got little body work scratches and i've damaged the edges of the door card.

2) getting the sealant in the right places was tricky. I smeared it all over the place and got it EVERYWHERE. Seems to have worked though!

Thanks for everyone's help!

James