Columbus Map & Radio Station Logo Updates

The car prompted the wife whilst driving the other week, asking if she wanted to update a few things, which, as with most stuff, she promptly ignored and failed to tell me about.

After hearing via other Kodiaq owners that Skoda is currently pushing out the ECE 2019 map update I checked here (using the VIN), and compared that to the current version in the car, and sure enough the car is showing ECE 2018, the latest ECE 2019 is available for download...

http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB/Updates/

image.png.f4a44e988a1e9f6af1208345784bd0f8.png

I've downloaded it via my laptop onto a 32Gb SD card (took a few hours!) and checked today whilst I was in the car how to upload it once it's plugged into the car. I noticed that one of the menu options was to select the source as an SD card, so hopefully it goes well tomorrow :D

Does anyone have any experience of this? Does it really take up to 4 hours? I don't fancy leaving the car sat on the drive with the ignition on for that long!

image.png.3dadffb1d8d217ed4fbbe4fa98532e1d.png

Whilst on the link above I noticed the option to also download the radio station logos, their absence being something that has mildly irritated me during ownership, but not enough to do anything about, so I've downloaded them...

image.png.235de895b54ba7e34d936cd22869b749.png

Anyone done this too?

image.png.50d1970663c8528a8e41e9ffb037a324.png

Edited by silver1011

No idea about doing it from an SD card, but it takes anything from 30-60 minutes to do it via a USB stick.

I’ve decided I really CBA updating all the maps - and as it prompted me to update South UK the other day (as well as Pyrenees/Andorra - it would appear it prompts you to update where most of your destinations have been, so that’s where I live and where we went on holiday!), I just did South UK. Downloaded over the air and installed in about 10 minutes.

The radio station logos have been present on mine since I picked it up... no idea if the dealer did that before handover. If so, another +1 for him!

• Like 1

Rather than write it all out again, I've copied & pasted the info below regarding my experience of updating the maps last December. Most importantly to me was realising that you don't need to have the car running, or even having the ignition on for it to do its thing. The full thread is in the Karoq section, but it's probably the same for your Kodiaq.

And indeed it does work! I reformatted the card, and did the above ( or a least my son did), then it loaded absolutely fine. Contrary to previous comments, and the Skoda Portal itself, you don't have to have the Columbus unit powered up for the duration of the upload. I watched the first 10% go in at about 1mb every 20 seconds or so initially , then switched the engine off, locked up and left it to do its own thing. Then went out after a couple of hours for a taxi run (wife's works Christmas party) and all the EU maps were installed - all now showing 2019. Happy days.

•  
  • Thanks 1

I've always updated my maps over air...sharing net from my android phone and that's it....I don't want to update all map just couple of coubtrys so the update take max 30min. All station logos are on the system from fay one.

Why bother with sd card or usb?

I guess because there is a cost associated with either using you mobile phone data, or the data allowance from the SIM card in the glovebox.

Using an SD card, or USB is free.

Plus, as you mentioned, you are only doing a small amount of the total update, those that are doing it all will likely take longer, use more data, and potentially cost more.

Like most, I did mine when I got a prompt to do so from the car. Download took about 15 minutes.  With regards to the radio logos, the list that Skoda has doesn't have all logos. All Heart and Smooth stations, and many others.  To add missing stations I used this website.  https://media.info/radio/how-to/radio-station-logos-for-your-volkswagen-or-skoda-radio?fbclid=IwAR1HenP5gFWx4ripTKHcpBbS8hshkxUuzQ1lfycHxxHlncXkCP1o5cYgcM4

Edited by Markymate

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I guess because there is a cost associated with either using you mobile phone data, or the data allowance from the SIM card in the glovebox.

Even being on just about the cheapest mobile tarrif I can be, I still have way more data every month than I can get through... especially as I’m in range of WiFi most of the time.

The SIM in the glovebox is different - I have a set amount of data, but that’s why I bought it... when I run out, I’ll just buy another one.

And you’re forgetting that not all broadband users have unlimited download - most do, but capped packages still exist. And even if you are on an unlimited package, you’re still paying for it.

So there’s a cost associated with whatever way you update your maps...

I'm on unlimited broadband at home.

The SIM card in the car is capped at 200Mb per month.

My mobile phone is a works phone, so prefer not to use it too much for personal use.

So for me the SD card approach is the most cost effective.

I wasn't sure how long it would take, so didn't fancy leaving the car outside with the ignition on for up to four hours.

As it happens it only took about 30 mins, after setting it away as we set off it had finished by the time we'd got to our destination.

Unfortunately, what it doesn't then do is tell you it's completed next time you jump in the car.

I initially left it at 90%, turned off the ignition, but turned back on the infotainment system, to see it continuing with the update. Locked the car, looking through the window for a few seconds to see it still doing it's thing, and left it to it.

An hour later, back out to the car, screen in darkness. Started the engine, turned the infotainment back on and it was displaying the nav map. Back into settings in an effort to try and get the update screen back, but the only option I got was to update again. Clicked 'yes' thinking it would tell me there were no updates, but no, it updated the maps again from the start. Luckily this journey was long enough for it to complete whilst I was in the car, at which point I got the previously missed 'update complete - OK'.

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I wasn't sure how long it would take, so didn't fancy leaving the car outside with the ignition on for up to four hours.

As others have said, you don’t need to leave the ignition on. I updated Southern England today (and some base Europe one that it decided it would do itself). Started it going, then switched off the car. When I started it up this evening to go out it said “update complete”, and all was well. I just need to remember to push the SIM card back in so it swaps back to using mobile data rather than home Wi-fi. 

Perhaps another reason not to use an SD card for the updates then ;)

Although it might just be the size - I only bothered updating the maps for the areas that I’m likely to drive. I’ll worry about updating the Czech Republic if I plan a trip there. It meant my update was only 600MB versus yours looked like it was 25GB? So more likely to complete successfully in one go.

I don't think the source was the issue. I think it was more likely to do with the ignition, infotainment on/off, and door lock combination that threw a spanner in the works.

All was well for half an hour whilst driving, it got to 90%. The issue seemed to occur shortly after switching the engine / ignition off.

I've had success plugging in an external USB SSD when doing the map update. Took the same time as when I've used an SD card in the past, so no quicker.

Radio logos are useful as some of the local stations are not already present. When adding stations to the preset list, it always annoyed me when there was a missing logo. Even created a few of my own as they are only JPG files...

Just updated my maps. linked via home Wifi. Now showing version ECE 2019. Only selected England North, Ireland, and England. On the list shown on the Columbus headunit in my Edition. It downloaded, England North and Ireland, England North and England South. Can only assume Scotland is in the updated maps somewhere? Could not see a seperate Scotland in the list. Took about one hour thirty minutes to complete.