Vrs clutch upgrade

Good evening 

I am trying to find out if anybody has had the Sachs organic clutch upgrade on there vrs? I have a vrs 230 estate with performance pack and it will be getting the APR stage 1 along side my APR carbon fibre intake system in a few weeks time, has anybody had issues with clutch slip ? and if anybody has had the upgrade how does the clutch feel and drive? I have read so many mixed reviews but not many on the vrs Octavia 230, 

cheers 

phil 

Got same c/f APR intake on mine with a Shark (now Racingline) Stage 1 map.

Clutch has given me no significant issues across the last year that the map has been added; feels exactly the same as standard, strong pickup in 1st all the way through the range - although I have not been launching it, for purposes of longevity. I would also recommend getting a dogbone engine mount to reduce axle-tramp / 'wheel hop' that you might feel more from increased power figures.

The only minor issues found have been on the motorway trying to accelerate in 5th (@ ~3000 rpm), where I noticed the clutch slip slightly. I've matched this issue a few times, but believe it's mainly down to torque and can easily be bypassed by not being lazy and dropping a cog as if it were an N/A engine.

IMHO, upgrading the clutch can wait for a while until it's on its way out - as it is a very expensive job in labour. Only then will I personally start looking at up-rated clutch, flywheels etc., since I might have saved up by then...

Edited by Ads230
  • Like 1

Thank you ,

i have been been thinking about waiting myself to get the clutch done at a later stage , awesome do a package APR map clutch and bearing all fitted including rolling road etc for £1487, it’s alot but if I need a clutch will save in the long run. 

I think its it’s time to ponder on this either way the mrs only thinks I am getting a map. I am also looking at the down pipe aswell. 

Which dog bone mount have you gone for ? Do you notice a lot of difference since fitted ? 

Don't buy a clutch yet. Mine has done about 10k miles with stage 1 and no problems. Like Ads230 says, treat it with respect, get the car going and then push. It's quick, unless it's at Santa Pod you don't need to launch in 1st, it will catch most things in 2nd/3rd. If you have a smooth progressive map you'll be very pleasantly surprised. It won't be the bhp which destroys your clutch it will be, the remap's extra  torque if you keep stamping on the pedal at lowish revs in 6th gear. It will pick up but you'll do your clutch a favour by downshifting a cog ir two if you're in that much of a hurry.  

Aye - as @Redboy says, treat with respect and it'll do the job for a few years before justifying cost of replacement.

Whilst that seems like a good deal off APR, methinks the rolling-road addition is just to show what the APR map is capable of achieving, rather than any 'tweaks' - since the stage 1 APR maps are 'standard' per car (and not necessarily mapped to any additional components like filter, downpipe etc - although those will certainly help). Shark's Stage 1 isn't as standard either, but Racingline are doing me a solid and assisting with removing 'emissions' light / tweaking on dyno soon.

Regardless, the smooth torque curve should be fine with the OEM clutch; save your money, and maybe upgrade the clutch when / if you decide to go for Stage 2 :)

51 minutes ago, Stotty_ said:

Which dog bone mount have you gone for ? Do you notice a lot of difference since fitted ? 

The one I inset-linked earlier (https://store.034motorsport.com/mqb-dogbone-mount-insert-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r-8v-audi-a3-s3-billet-aluminum.html); but you'll need to check under your car to identify which of the two components you'll need. And yes - aside from my Eibach springs, it's the second most-transformative addition on the car, and it's 100% worthwhile.

17 hours ago, Stotty_ said:

do you notice much extra vibrations with the dog bone? 

Personally, it's not noticeable. There are some minor vibrations in reverse, but in general (and considering I have a turbo-back exhaust I probably notice more noise/vibration from these than the mount itself) it's really nothing that noticeable unless you're really looking for it, or know it's been installed. Either way, adding it reduces axle-tramp, which - in my opinion - is 1000x preferable to a little added vibration.

As the guys have pointed out already above I would keep the clutch standard because after 7,000 miles stage 1 and now a further 5,000 miles at stage 2 I have experienced no clutch slip and as long as you are not caning it in 1st gear 2nd/3rd will still be fine to catch and pass most things even at stage 1. Not fitted the dog bone mount yet but on the list with arb upgrade in the next 12 months when the bank balance has recovered enough.:tongueout:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Not fitted the dog bone mount yet but on the list with arb upgrade in the next 12 months when the bank balance has recovered enough.:tongueout:

Aye - ARB upgrade is on the cards too this year (but when life is less spenny). I'm surprised you'd not had one fitted yet when running 335 BHP! It was driving me mad back at 260 BHP... but maybe your right foot is more finessed than mine ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Don't think I need to bother with this but, I've got the motorsport 034 dog bone mount (type 2 for my MY17 245) , just been too Fn cold to fit it.

Should be 10C degrees this weekend if all that snow you got in the south has melted.:tongueout:

3 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Should be 10C degrees this weekend if all that snow you got in the south has melted.:tongueout:

TBH it's 7 Deg C today but, I'm not feeling the love, maybe when I've got more grip/wheel hop. I've turned the tuningbox down via the Bluetooth for the mean time

Edited by themanwithnoaim

5 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

TBH it's 7 Deg C today but, I'm not feeling the love, maybe when I've got more grip/wheel hop. I've turned the tuningbox done via the Bluetooth for the mean time

Earlier in the week got 42.8 and 41.9mpg on two commutes but today had do your usual cross country alternative as knights of the road (lorry drivers) decided to close the M1 between J20 and J21 northbound. Got near to your average with a 31.5mpg as I came across and despatched plenty of dawdlers. Must say it was good fun for a change from the monotony of the motorway slog.;)

Edited by shyVRS245
MISSING WORD

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Got near to your average with a 31.5mpg as I came across and despatched plenty of dawdlers. Must say it was good fun

Hmmmm. I think you're confusing my 1.4TSI  average with the current 245.

The 245 is 24.3 mpg over 16k miles now

1 minute ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Hmmmm. I think you're confusing my 1.4TSI  average with the current 245.

The 245 is 24.3 mpg over 16k miles now

Even when I did the maximum speed run last month still averaged 25mpg on the maxidot on the way home.:blink:

@Ads230 I fitted my dog bone yesterday went with the APR insert as it’s steel, I read loads about the aluminium ones bending over time, it completely changed how the car feels and drives, my only complaint is I am getting a lot of vibrations in idel and reverse but some people say after few good drives it will settle down fingers crossed . Can’t wait to get the map done now. 

17 minutes ago, Stotty_ said:

APR insert as it’s steel,

my only complaint is I am getting a lot of vibrations in idel and reverse

No Sh!t sherlock

Not quite sure how long steel is gonna take to bed in.........

1 hour ago, Stotty_ said:

@Ads230 I fitted my dog bone yesterday went with the APR insert as it’s steel, I read loads about the aluminium ones bending over time

Yeah it might do - but I'll just buy and fit another one for like £30 :)

Also Alu > lighter than Steel = Mad Gainz ;)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Stotty_ / @Redboy / @shyVRS245 / @themanwithnoaim - Gents, supposing one were to get a clutch upgrade sorted for the VRS (Pre-FL 230 2016 - as if it makes a difference), is anyone familiar with the options available?

Full transparency - I've not done a great deal of research in this area as I thought I'd be fitting a 'big brake kit' before even touching the clutch, but have noticed slightly more slip recently and - as with most things - once I notice it, I can't get it out of my head and it's niggling.

In keeping with applying products from known, quality, trusted brands - are there some 'standard' options that the VAG crowd go for, do you know?

Getting 25,000 mile service sorted this year before 1st MOT, so if I can eye things up for budget I get to know for how much longer I'll have to caress the clutch :). Cheers, A.

I have a Sachs replacement clutch fitted. Bit firmer to press in than the stock one but you get used to it in no time. Needed a new clutch release bearing as well when it was fitted.

Dog bone mount is worth s little extra nvh instead of that awful axletramp. It does settle down after a couple of weeks, but is noticeable esp on startup

If you are going to upgrade ARBs (someone mentioned it above) my top tip is to replace all 4 droplinks at the same time. I didn't and after a few months the extra stress of thicker ARBs killed them within a couple of weeks of each other. Fronts first , then rear

• Thanks 1

Legends, thanks all!

I thought I'd ask at this stage, as - if I do get the work done - I'd likely get it done in 1 go if they've got it up on the lift.

Then it minimises the amount of crying I have to do when I look at how little money I have left :)

• 2 months later...

Good morning all 

I haven’t been online for ages due to my job, had my 230 in for Apr stage one yesterday, my clutch can’t take the torque as soon as you plant it in 3/4/5/6 just slips, very bad times. 

I am definitely going to need a clutch upgrade ASAP, it drives lovely when your steady away and gently accelerate full the full range. 

Hopefully the Sachs organic will sort it out, and the mrs still enjoys driving it .