Air Care? What actually does I do?

Hi all,  long time Skoda owner! First time Octavia owner ( loving it so far).

whilst playing around with the settings I’ve com accross “Air Care”, I’ve tried reading the manual, I’ve tried google but don’t seem to be able to find out much about it.  So. A couple of questions if anyone can help:

1.  What actually is it?  Is it just a fancy uprated pollen filter?

2.  Does it actually filter any more or is it just a fancy name for good old fashioned recirculation?

3.  Should it be on all the time or only when needed?

I hate the fact that I have t ask this, I feel like such a noob, but the manual realy has pants description.

Air care simply turns the recirculation on if it detects a higher than usual level of particulates in the incoming air, that's my understanding of its actual functionality. 

I did wonder, any time I’ve switched it on the fan has gotten louder the same way it used to with recirculation in other cars. I don’t want to leave it on all the time if it’s gonna be doing that. 

10 hours ago, Kenai said:

Air care simply turns the recirculation on if it detects a higher than usual level of particulates in the incoming air, that's my understanding of its actual functionality. 

My MY17 done this without the fancy AirCare logo and my MY19, has the logo but not a button lol - I just thought it was automatic (i.e. does it when reversing too)

• 2 years later...

It filters fine pollutants from the air. I was reading about it earlier. We have a Philips machine in the house that does something similar. My wife suffers a lot being sensitive to allergens and I'm sure it will be a benefit to us. It is fitted to our Octavia 3 SE L

To clarify a comment above (seeing as a link is broken) the aircon will switch to recirculating the cabin air if the outside air is too poor in quality.