Oil level on brand new Superb

Just now, newbie69 said:

Why would he? There are no drinking issues with the high power 2.0 TSI variants that's for sure. He'd have to be really, extremely, unfortunate to get such a car.

And yet his engine has somehow managed to lose 1 litre somewhere between the factory, PDI and in one week of ownership. Not normal. Worrying.

Before the dealer tops up, ask him to carefully check the engine over for leaks, and whether the dipstick tube is correctly installed etc as over filling by 1 litre could be disastrous. Needs investigating, and recording on Skoda's system just in case there is a problem in the future. I recommend getting the dealer to put in writing what was done as evidence.

Better be safe.

• Like 1

Simples.

Get an Email off to the Dealer Principal, and maybe forward to Skoda UK.  Call the Dealer Principal to confirm he or she has received your email, 

and ask for a response in writing.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

Ask.

For a copy of the Work Sheet and PDI Information.

Get the Build Date, the Importation Date, the mileage before Transit was reset.  Actual Mileage the car had done pre PDI. 

Skoda UK, can send out Skoda Assist to top up the Oil or the Dealership can, they had all these extra staff employed to carry out The Fix anyway.

They have vehicles and techs with all the Gear and more than an idea.

Or just go to any Skoda Main Dealership and get them to dip the oil and put your concerns on the System for future referrence.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

@Fantantonio

?

Can you say where and who supplied your car?

Has the car been in Transit between locations / dealerships.

Like some might get, delivered off a transporter in Edinburgh and then driven on trade plates to Glasgow 55 plus miles, then at Hand over there is 15 miles on the odometer... Mileage after the PDI.

Edited by Skoffski

57 minutes ago, xman said:

And yet his engine has somehow managed to lose 1 litre somewhere between the factory, PDI and in one week of ownership. Not normal. Worrying.

Well, I suppose, purely from a statistical point of view, that there is indeed a chance that a car was properly filled up with oil to the correct level from factory, then did what 10, 20, 50? miles during which it lost 500ml.  That would put to shame even the most infamous oil-drinking 1.4 twinchargers that I've known for sure. So the probability I would personally give to that? Too many zeros after the comma to be significant.

The probability of not being filled properly? Much higher.

In any case, what we all agree I think is that this is not something to just take care yourself on a brand new car but something to bring to the dealer's attention and ask for proper investigation and treatment. It's most probably nothing but better safe than sorry as you said.

• Like 1

Some 'Dealership employees'  were claiming that 'Lost in Transit' into the UK Vehicles / 'Black Hole Ordering' were being 'tested'.

VW Group have had random vehicles 'tested' on importations pre and post WLTP.

VW Group had to give the UK Government 1.1 million towards that because they were little liars & cheats.

So best always ask the question of Skoda / VW / SEAT / Audi / Porsche / Bentley etc if ever in doubt.

Where was my car for the weeks between landing in the UK and arriving at the Dealership...

?

Was it damaged and under repair?

Was it held up to undergo Emission Re-testing?

Or what held it up travelling a few hundred miles or less by transporter?

Edited by Skoffski

2 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

So best always ask the question of Skoda / VW / SEAT / Audi / Porsche / Bentley etc if ever in doubt.

Where was my car for the weeks between landing in the UK and arriving at the Dealership...

He can ask, doubtful he'll get a truthful answer, just a made up one.

Was the car a standard or near standard spec.? Those are the ones that might have been banked (then reworked to put an option on, and given new build date) or selected for this mysterious random testing that allegedly goes on from time to time. Might have even been a WLTP/RDE test car.

Where does 500ml come from? I thought that min to max on the stick is nearer 1 litre.

• Confused 1

@xman

You ask, they can tell the truth, lie or say they have no idea, just as long as that reply is in writing.

If you do not ask then you will never get an answer.

No more DAS AUTO, just Trust Building measures and Honesty',  & a Court in England / Wales, Scotland or Nothern Ireland can rip VW Group a new one.

@xman

You ask, get told rubbish and then post it as being gospel.   That is an issue. 

Never believe the Internet, forums, people you do not know or verbals, not worth the paper it is not written on.

3-monkeys-620x2401-620x240.jpg.0597dcccb1b603ee629f930dd02f3a1f.jpg

54 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

You ask, they can tell the truth, lie or say they have no idea, just as long as that reply is in writing

I recall on more than one occasion, our service manager stating company policy is not to enter into written correspondence and refusing. But assured me verbally it had been recorded somewhere.

They do not discuss/accept/want to talk about the internet either.

They wont even accept a customer talking about a TPI, not allowed, and customer doesn't/won't know what Skoda computer is telling them which is their source..

So at least I know asking is "simply futile" in my dealership.....

• Like 1

& you keep using them?

They are privately owned and might behave as they think fit.   

VW Group & Skoda UK being asked should be honest / truthful and can refer to their lawyers if they like or think that is necessary.

They are the ones that need to really be careful.  They hate having to defend their actions in a court of law, it can end up with some not senior employee in jail.

So Skoda Assist came out to check over the car. No leaks but confirmed the oil was low and also noted a warning on the dash which I hadn’t seen. Added close to a litre of quantum 5w30 to get up to the max mark and we’re good to go again. Annoyed that the dealer didn’t do the proper checks but glad it’s been remedied quickly and easily.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skoffski said:

& you keep using them?

Yes, the nearest trusted alternative is 35 miles away.

I have a long history with these and their Volkswagen franchise next door going back to 1970 (VW 1300 beetle).

Have fought many a battle, but now we have a mutual understanding. They know I know my stuff (their words not mine). I know how the VAG warranty/goodwill system works more or less inside out. Skoda UK even acknowledged me as a "valued customer" ;) (from the number of new vehicles bought, brand loyalty, even though I often service the vehicles out of warranty myself, they only do the difficult repairs).

I don't post half the woes and shenanigans that I've witnessed,  I grow weary from the inevitable Briskoda troll that will come along knock me for being negative. They don't understand my need to keep our fleet on the road at minimum cost and down time. And not everything is rosy if running cars doing 20k+ miles per year to a target of 160k. These cars are not pampered either.

I have had some excellent victories but it still remains a stressful battle each time. Better the devil you know they say.

I don't let the heart rule my head, at the end of the day its down to simple economics, and despite all this, Skoda remains a cheap alternative to a lot of other brands.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fantantonio said:

So Skoda Assist came out to check over the car. No leaks but confirmed the oil was low and also noted a warning on the dash which I hadn’t seen. Added close to a litre of quantum 5w30 to get up to the max mark and we’re good to go again. Annoyed that the dealer didn’t do the proper checks but glad it’s been remedied quickly and easily.

Good that Skoda Assist did it, independent and incident recorded.

A litre of oil is alarming, keep an eye on that oil level, dont top up, but if it drops too much too quickly, take it straight to the dealer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fantantonio said:

Will be doing weekly checks from now on, rest assured! I've seen that 0.5L / 1000km is normal so anything much more than that I'll be onto them.

No! 0.5L / 1000km is NOT normal! Its the upper limit of oil useage that Skoda decides is acceptable.

0.1L - 0.5L / 15,000 km is what I would expect as Normal

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

0.5 litres in 1,000 km is not normal and not acceptable.  It is a random figure to cover manufacturers ar5es.

6 litres or more between fixed services would make Green Technology a joke.

More oil use in the first few thousand miles might be. 

In the first 5,000 km say VW,  might be true.   

2019, and not a 2 stroke though....

w960_4095-227.png.b23b02239ceecffab9f7f4e945e494ff.png

• Like 2

0.5L / 1000km would definitely classify as an oil-drinker despite what VAG state in the manual and you should not see anywhere near that value with this engine.

During 2.5 years with the pre-WLTP variant of the same engine I was getting 0.2-0.4L / 10-12,000km, and this value was similar to other owners give or take. In reality, I never topped it up because I have my own oil change regime of 10,000km so by the time I could have added a couple hundred ml of oil it was oil change time. Mind you, it never went below the B "hatched" area and of-course no low oil lights. Hopefully the WLTP versions will be just as good (if not better).

Establish a procedure, same place, same time after turn off and stick to it. If you go through one full tank without the oil level moving I'd say someone simply screwed up either at factory or dealership.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@Fantantonio

?

What warning on the dash?

?

Was the car checked for any fault codes and were you given a print out if there were any?

What is the service indicator showing on your car to the next Inspection Service or Oil Change?

I personally didn't see a warning on the dash but the Skoda Assist guy did. Don't think it was checked for any fault codes.

Don't know what the service indicator is!

1 minute ago, MartiniB said:

where exactly?

Just by the latch at the front

Up to you.

Not an honest mistake though, actually quite a major fail at the Dealership by an Employee. 

Could have been rather serious for someone taking a car away and blasting it along a motorway. 

But as it is the dealership are due you a 'Goodwill Gesture' like the first Service Free at a Dealership of your choice.

I would want another  PDI carried out now by a Master Technician.   Just call it a Past Delivery Inspection. 

Torque of Wheel bolts etc checked, and a good inspection.

?

Where is the coolant settled when the engine is cold?

• Like 1