Buying a Monte Carlo Estate

Hi after a brief spell away from Skoda (Kia Sportage, sorry) i'm planning to come back in to the fold and I am currently shopping around for a nice  2016ish Monte Carlo Estate (probably petrol).

Does anyone have any reviews, opinions or things to be on the look out for? Many thanks in advance,

Bill

Edited by VRSbilly

@SurreyJohn

Is that a Scoutline, as in some added plastic and plastic aluminium and show with no more ability to go anyplace than a standard Fabia can.

Like a Kamiq, for the adventurous, rugged looks for those that want an 'Adventure offroad' as in get stuck and get towed back onroad except there will be no recovery points just tie downs.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Haha 2

Thanks guys, I'm pretty dead set on the Monte Carlo and also I wont be buying brand new im after a 16 plate I think. Any opinions on the 1.2 TSI? or anything else to look out for? I notice they don't have cruise control? 

1 hour ago, VRSbilly said:

Thanks guys, I'm pretty dead set on the Monte Carlo and also I wont be buying brand new im after a 16 plate I think. Any opinions on the 1.2 TSI? or anything else to look out for? I notice they don't have cruise control? 

We owned a 2015 Spaceback with the 1.2Tsi engine and it was reliable, quiet and gave good economy over 28,000 miles. It gave us one small problem when the battery terminal became loose (probably caused by all the speed humps where we live) affecting the stop/start. Traded it in early 2018 for wife's current car Karoq 1.5Tsi SEL which is giving similar economy at 45mpg over 13,000 miles so far.:thumbup:

Edited by shyVRS245
MISSING WORD
  • Like 1

VRSbilly, I've just bought a 2016 Monte Carlo 110bhp Estate..Correct, it has no cruise control but i'm looking at getting this done over the coming weeks so i'll keep you posted with that - another chat going on.

I came from an Octavia 1.6 Diesel Greenline, so it had some upgrades but also some downgrades..

Regardless, its a quiet engine car, was worried about getting to speed to overtake on motorway - nothing to be concerned about. Love the drive, lot more fun!, is really nippy around corners and grips the road - sorry londoners. It is more plasticity than the Octavia, the Monte Carlo has sports seats with no lumbar support (Shame), less space in the back for kids leg room and child seats (seats are at a steeper angle)..but they can now look at the clouds and stars! infotainment has Carplay - Great for wase users... Currently, still doing my tests on the mpg. Manual heating controls - less to go wrong compared to the digital. 6 gears, prefer over the 5 due to greenline. Doesn't like those big pot holes, Speakers are not great for DAB radio, but AAC sound files sound awesome! (better than bluetooth connectivity on the last 2014 octy)

One massive thing i have noticed, not sure upon the technical name. I had 16" wheels on the Octavia, however coming off motorway and getting out of gear and letting it roll. At the 3 count down marker, 3 @ 70mph - by the time i got to 1 40/50mph. In the fabia i'm still at 60mph...so i have to use my brakes more..they are 17" wheels. Still trying to study it.

All i say, is go out there and give one a spin. Wouldn't go back to a Octavia for fun drive, but would go back for that little more space and less plastic, however financially the Fabia is a great car and i'm very happy!

And the seating...say Blue car and Red Seats..Pictures don't do any Justice. When i got into my mates gray seating 1 tone car, boring..in real life its quite refreshing, only wish the front dash was red too and not fake carbon fiber effect. The newer 2018 models upholstery is the way i would want it. The car looks super sexy on a street full of White, gray or black modern cars...head turner. 

Check for any additions..Also, not sure if its standard but make sure the car has Rear Speakers in the doors - in the old brochure its was an option, if you do want to upgrade to cruise control (if not installed) i would check the BCM under the steering wheel unless it can be a £300 upgrade on top of the Cruise control stalk, activation and installation - again, follow the other posts.

Edited by StemcellRob
wording
  • Like 1

On 06/03/2019 at 02:01, StemcellRob said:

VRSbilly, I've just bought a 2016 Monte Carlo 110bhp Estate..Correct, it has no cruise control but i'm looking at getting this done over the coming weeks so i'll keep you posted with that - another chat going on.

I came from an Octavia 1.6 Diesel Greenline, so it had some upgrades but also some downgrades..

Regardless, its a quiet engine car, was worried about getting to speed to overtake on motorway - nothing to be concerned about. Love the drive, lot more fun!, is really nippy around corners and grips the road - sorry londoners. It is more plasticity than the Octavia, the Monte Carlo has sports seats with no lumbar support (Shame), less space in the back for kids leg room and child seats (seats are at a steeper angle)..but they can now look at the clouds and stars! infotainment has Carplay - Great for wase users... Currently, still doing my tests on the mpg. Manual heating controls - less to go wrong compared to the digital. 6 gears, prefer over the 5 due to greenline. Doesn't like those big pot holes, Speakers are not great for DAB radio, but AAC sound files sound awesome! (better than bluetooth connectivity on the last 2014 octy)

One massive thing i have noticed, not sure upon the technical name. I had 16" wheels on the Octavia, however coming off motorway and getting out of gear and letting it roll. At the 3 count down marker, 3 @ 70mph - by the time i got to 1 40/50mph. In the fabia i'm still at 60mph...so i have to use my brakes more..they are 17" wheels. Still trying to study it.

All i say, is go out there and give one a spin. Wouldn't go back to a Octavia for fun drive, but would go back for that little more space and less plastic, however financially the Fabia is a great car and i'm very happy!

And the seating...say Blue car and Red Seats..Pictures don't do any Justice. When i got into my mates gray seating 1 tone car, boring..in real life its quite refreshing, only wish the front dash was red too and not fake carbon fiber effect. The newer 2018 models upholstery is the way i would want it. The car looks super sexy on a street full of White, gray or black modern cars...head turner. 

Check for any additions..Also, not sure if its standard but make sure the car has Rear Speakers in the doors - in the old brochure its was an option, if you do want to upgrade to cruise control (if not installed) i would check the BCM under the steering wheel unless it can be a £300 upgrade on top of the Cruise control stalk, activation and installation - again, follow the other posts.

Thanks Rob, very useful.

I'm still hunting, not many on the market! I think I would like to go for a silver or grey one however the blue does look mighty impressive. Race blue, classic skoda vrs look. nice mate.

• 3 weeks later...

@VRSbilly  This is mine, it's on page 9, second one down the green 17 plate Monte. same as the '16 plate.

Had it almost two years now and it has been almost faultless, only snag it has had was one of the windy windows in the back wouldn't come down, but sorted under guarantee in 10 minutes.  Stop /start has been faultless, as has the speed limiter (no cruise control).   Mpg has averaged 45, with mostly local work, but on a 300 ish miles round trip to East Yorkshire, keeping to speed limits, I got near as dammit 60 MPG. Would have liked one touch windows and cruise, horn is a bit poxy, and I've changed the headlight bulbs for Phillips Extreme Vision.  I only wish I'd bought it four months earlier cos the car tax would have been £20, and not £140

All in all, very happy with it, an don't envisage changing it any time soon.

Edited by Trev2
typo

On 06/03/2019 at 02:01, StemcellRob said:

I've had a 1.2 105ps and currently have a 1.0 110ps, albeit both Rapids, and there is very little engine braking in these cars so you can lift off the throttle on hills and it loses very little speed

Thanks for all the very helpful responses. I have now put a deposit down on a Rapid Spaceback Sport 1.2TSI so will be jumping over to the Rapid Forum.

The clincher was the extra space and options (cruise/climate) for roughly same price tag.

46 minutes ago, VRSbilly said:

Thanks for all the very helpful responses. I have now put a deposit down on a Rapid Spaceback Sport 1.2TSI so will be jumping over to the Rapid Forum.

The clincher was the extra space and options (cruise/climate) for roughly same price tag.

We had a Spaceback Sport (17" alloys) and the 414 litre boot beats anything in it's class. I have a 17" alloy (brand new) with 215/40 tyre (also new) if you want a spare. PM me If you would like it only taking up space in the garage (£100).:thumbup:

4 hours ago, VRSbilly said:

I was in your position just under a year ago and was torn between the Monte estate and the Spaceback sport and the extras that the Spaceback had over the Monte for the same price were reasons that I went for the Spaceback.