Amundsen map update - which version do I need?

Hello all,

I've had a search about the forum but can't find the correct answer to this...

My map version is currently 'ECE 2016'.  I know, I've never updated it but as the car is nearly 3, I thought I'd better get it done.

Which version of the map do I need, or can I use any?  I think my current map covers all of mainland Europe but now there seems to be bundles of countries unless you want the 2018/2019 version.  I'm concerned the version I pick will not work.

Should I download the other maps incase I need them in the future?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Thanks for your reply.  I've done that and I have all these options that include the UK:

ECE 1 2019/2020

Andorra, Belgium, Faroe Islands, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Ireland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom

ECE 5 2019/2020

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Faroe Islands (land-use only), France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, United Kingdom (incl. Isle of Man), Vatican City State

ECE 6 2019/2020

Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Faroe Islands (land-use only), Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom (incl. Isle of Man)

Previous version ECE1 2018

Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Faroe Islands, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, 

Will any of these work?

I think they'll all work for you, although I'm sure someone with infinitely more knowledge than me will be along at some point to put me right.  

You'll need a hefty SD card for whatever you download as I'm sure it won't be a small set of files.

For Amundsen, you have to re-use the SD card that's already in the car. The download from the Skoda portal should automate the process for you.

I found that

(A) you have to use the SD card supplied by Skoda

(B) you must first slide the lock on the SD card to make it writable (if it's been locked

(C) Put the SD card into your computer

(D) I first copied the map folder from the SD card to my PC (for safety)

(E) Delete the Map folder from the SD card (not possible unless you do (B))

(F) Download the new map (I used ECE 6) and follow the instructions

• Thanks 1

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:45, Gasconman said:

I found that

(B) you must first slide the lock on the SD card to make it writable (if it's been locked

Well!

Following the above instructions from Gasconman - I installed ECE1 2018/2019, as it was closest to what I had in my 66 plate vRS.

Seems to work a treat, so kudos to Gasconman.

Good luck to the OP, hope it works as well for you.

I went to DE WV map download site https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

There I selected Passat from 2017 and Discover Media and than downloaded European Countries – Bundle 1 (entire EU). File is DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1115_V10. Copied files to my Skoda SD card and all works. 

Indication on Amundsen is ECE AS 19/20.

Edited by Kuhar

11 hours ago, Carloskoda said:

Well!

Following the above instructions from Gasconman - I installed ECE1 2018/2019, as it was closest to what I had in my 66 plate vRS.

Seems to work a treat, so kudos to Gasconman.

Good luck to the OP, hope it works as well for you.

Glad to help. The one thing I have noticed is that the speed limits for France are inaccurate. The limit for roads with no central divider here was changed last July from 90 to 80 km/h, but the latest map from Skoda displays 90 when travelling on such roads. However, when checking the limits for the country in the menu system they say 80, 110 and 130, which is correct. So, it makes me wonder what else is inaccurate.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Beachy said:

Hi. When updaying off the Skoda site do you use the existing SD card or use a new one?. Thanks

As in the instructions from Gasconman above, repeated below, use the original Skoda SD Card.

Good luck.

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:45, Gasconman said:

I found that

It seems to be working!! :D

Put the card back in the car and it instantly started working.  Used ECE5 and that's what's showing on the version number of the map.  The new bridge that's been built near my house is showing so the update has clearly worked.

Only issue I had was trying to format the memory card on my Macbook.  It became unmountable.  Popped it into a Windows laptop, formatted it no problem then back in the mac to copy the maps on.  It was so simple, I should have done it years ago.  Away to download all the other maps incase I need to go somewhere else in the future.

Thank you all for your input, hopefully this will help others in the future :beer:

Hmmm. The advice I received from the Skoda garage where I bought the car last week was NOT to format the card because there is a risk of corrupting the hidden file Skoda put on the card to ensure verification (which is why you HAVE to reuse the Skoda card and not any other). That's why I advised deleting the old Maps file folder, and then replacing it with the new one.

Either you were lucky, or the Skoda salesman gave me duff info. Or maybe you used the 'Quick format' option rather than a full format? In any case, just to be safe, I think I'll continue doing it the way I described in my earlier post.

Glad you got it done successfully anyway.

Edited by Gasconman
spelling error

When I deleted the data off the card it did not actually remove the files.  The card was still showing having 15GB of data on it.  Maybe a Mac thing, but it showed with no files but available space was less than 1GB.