Creaking from steering

Englando

Has anyone had a creaking noise from their steering? My Karoq, a year old next month, has just started doing this. 

It's mostly when turning to almost full lock stationary but I also heard it when turning into a tight junction.   I can hear it when parked and turning the steering left and right. 

Report it under warranty.

This symptom was very common in Fabias 2012-2014 and was in that case faulty ball joints on the inner track rods, the ends in the steering rack, incorrect grease used during manufacture, and replaced without question under warranty.

Yours may be a different component in the steering, but nevertheless it shouldn't be there and should be repaired under warranty. You will be asked to demonstrate the problem to a tech. So know how to reproduce it, in the case of the fabia, very slow manouvreing in the dealers carpark while turning slowly lock to lock reproduced the sticky, creaking. Annoyingly it would disappear in wet conditions, as water would lubricate the offending part.

If it a steering part, e.g. track rod make sure the dealer does a full 4 wheel alignment  (foc)  under warranty.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

On 06/03/2019 at 20:09, Englando said:

Has anyone had a creaking noise from their steering? My Karoq, a year old next month, has just started doing this. 

It's mostly when turning to almost full lock stationary but I also heard it when turning into a tight junction.   I can hear it when parked and turning the steering left and right. 

I heard that a few times and thought it was because the car was not responding well to dry steering so avoided doing so later.

Recently I also noticed lots of tyre noise when my Karoq crawls forward/backward when in full lock - possibly due to the tyres gripping the ground. Thought it was mechanical. There's someone else on the forum experiencing this with Bridgestone tyres like I am. I'll have to test it again to see if they're 2 distinctively separate issues. Does yours sound like the tyres at all?

• 2 weeks later...

If you turn the steering wheel when stationary with the autohold on then it is the brakes being on that cause the creaking noise as the front wheels can’t rotate with the brake on. Try it with the autohold off to see if you still have creaking and a problem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2019 at 21:05, SizzlingPotato said:

I heard that a few times and thought it was because the car was not responding well to dry steering so avoided doing so later.

Recently I also noticed lots of tyre noise when my Karoq crawls forward/backward when in full lock - possibly due to the tyres gripping the ground. Thought it was mechanical. There's someone else on the forum experiencing this with Bridgestone tyres like I am. I'll have to test it again to see if they're 2 distinctively separate issues. Does yours sound like the tyres at all?

The creaking sounded as though it was coming through the steering column rather than the tyres.  It was really loud the other day when I pulled off the drive.  However I've not had it for a couple of weeks now and typically it didn't happen at the service either.  I'll update if I hear it again. 

1 hour ago, Englando said:

The creaking sounded as though it was coming through the steering column rather than the tyres.  It was really loud the other day when I pulled off the drive.  However I've not had it for a couple of weeks now and typically it didn't happen at the service either.  I'll update if I hear it again. 

Here is how mine sounded. Turned the steering into a full lock and I went in circles at a car park. After doing a few left and right full locks and circles it went away and I could no longer reproduce it. This was 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard it since then while manoeuvring in and out of parking spots with full locks.

• 6 months later...

I have a noise when on full lock and coming off it that is like a grinding/creak.

When I'm turning over speedbumps or say down ramps in multi storey car parks it is exemplified.

Car going in on Tuesday. Not good!

Same response when we reported it on the Octavia Scout and Kodiaq Scout.

Visually there is nothing wrong with the bushes, so the dealer simply rolls out the 'bring it back if it gets worse' line.

Skoda and their franchised dealer network are all too familiar with the issue, it's simply easier to wait until the car is 3 years old and then blame it on the condition of the roads.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1