Adaptive Cruise + Adaptive Lane Guidance

I understand that the ACC + ALG will not allow an undertake manoeuvre unless the cruise is overridden by pressing on the accelerator.

This is likely because in Europe you actually require your drivers to be trained and competent.

Here in the colonies ('straya!) on a multi-lane road it's legal to overtake in any lane.  On some highways it's actually essential.  As an example, the M1 from Melbourne to Geelong has 3 lanes in each direction.  Typically the centre lane is slowest, the right-lane is full of people playing with the phones and the left lane is the emptiest (as drivers don't generally wish to avoid other drivers merging at 40km/hr below the speed target).

That means that sometimes the left-lane is the fastest lane, at least in the parts between on and off ramps.

Do the 'ACC + ALG' rules stop undertaking in countries where it is permitted or is the same rule set used in all countries?

(asking as something to fill in the time until I get my Skodiaq).

Answering as I have a few minutes to kill :-)

I reckon you either like the way ACC works - or you don't.

I don't have it on either of our cars, thank goodness.

My few days playing / fighting  / shouting at it on a loan car put me in the "no thank you" camp.

I just don't drive the way the ACC rules work.

Having to wink unnecessarily to change lanes every time is not my way for one.

Trusting the whole system is another. It tired me out.

I love grabbing my stalk and having a good wink. You can't beat a good wink. I love winking.  It tells everyone what you are about to do....    ;););)

• Haha 2

Yer here in Melbourne, what you to is, you start your lane change.  Once you're half in each lane, you then 'wink' once.  

Just to confirm to nearby drivers that it's not an involuntary lane change (coz you've got coffee on one hand and phone in the other.

That's why they're called 'confirmators'.

5 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Mirror, signal, manoeuvre

I just had a few pre-test lessons with an instructor before I took my test.

His routine was to enforce "mirror, signal, mirror, again, manoeuvre". He was very shrill about it, especially if he saw another driver not doing it.

I saw him getting very shrill again 6 months after my test. Not in a car though - it was outside a shopping centre, wailing "Hari Krishna - Krishna Hari!" and offering me an oat biscuit. The stress had broken the poor man.

The obvious lesson from this is to use your feckin indicators and save perfectly good driving instructors from a life of vegan food and man dresses.

• Haha 2

Officially known as - “Audible warning of my presence”

1 toot normally suffices. My wife expresses surprise when my “toot” sometimes lasts a Long Time :biggrin: