Yeti 110 Tracking Issue

K100RS

Just taken in the Mrs Yeti 110 for a pair of new tyres for the rear having moved the old rear ones to the front. After waiting a long time the chappy came out and told me that the tyres were badly scrubbed on the edges of the old tyres and that the tracking was out. Pointed out to him that it was equal wear to both tyres and our main dealer had not commented on the problem having had new front discs fitted and they had covered some 55,000 miles. Told well you could be wrecking your tyres leaving the problem there. Eventually buckled to his hard sell and waited around 15 min s for the job to be done. Charged £47 and told they had been adjusted. Once I was home I put on full lock and noticed a quick spray of white grease had been applied to both tracking rod threads. Being rather a negative chap I rubbed off the white grease to have a look at the rods on both sides. I cannot see any spanners applied or grit and corrosion of moving a nut around on either side. Phoned them up on the same day to complain and was told they use special tools not to damage the rods and I could bring it back for a check having taken my money.

Now if the tracking is very close to spec of course they will not need to change anything and the wear on both tyres could be the actual position to vertical over the years on the ball joints and not toe in or out.

As this company has other braches in East Anglia I would like any useful comments on what to do next as I suspect it will end in a stalemate with the company over work done. Can you adjust the tracking without showing any evidence?

FlyingBrick

003.jpg

010.jpg

006.jpg

002.jpg

If those tyres have only recently been moved to the front I would have thought if the tyres were worn as much as that it'd be the rear that needed tracking, is that what they have done?

I know of NO way those nuts can be undone without marks being present, and there are no adjustment marks on the threads either.

I would be threatening to show those pictures to Trading Standards first thing on Monday morning and insisting on my money back.
They've done nothing!

Went back on Monday with photos having driven to a friend who runs his own MOT station to have a look at the supposed work done and a bill of £47.00 having looked at the photos and the price he told his charge is £25.00 unless there is an extra labour charge for time with badly corroded on nuts on the rods. Also went along to my bike club on Sunday to show a couple of chaps who race and one has a garage business and they all had a laugh at my expense.

Arrived at the garage to chat with the manager who insisted that the technician employed there on Saturday had done the work required. Had sent him the photos via email on Saturday plus head office. Had not received on Saturday a tracking report which I received when Monday's work was done. Having watched the car being lifted up and the equipment set up. I was invited by the tech to look at the LCD screen whilst he put spanners to the rods and it showed the LHS was out by a fair amount and set about adjusting both sides to the correct parameters and then tighten up the nuts. Now folks if the work was done as insisted by the manager there. Surely from Saturday to Monday would not throw out the tracking would it? Getting really fed up having to check any work paid for plus my time taking a Monday off running around. Over the years I have picked up many things including leaving a timing belt cover off, air con valve covers gone astray to stop grit and dirt dropping into them and a new disc with the sticky part number label still left on the new disc from a main local approved dealer. Looks like it is back to DIY for a job done correctly!  Have sent a polite letter off to head office but I doubt if any monies will come back.

FlyingBrick

Hi Urrell

Rear tyres were ok with decent tread all round after 55,000 miles and that is why I placed them on the front with 5mm on them. It was the front ones that had worn badly on both inside edges that were thrown away for new Michelin Cross Climate tyres. Was worried about the camber on the front as the offside front suspension spring had cracked near the bottom but I was told the camber was in spec. You are correct a brass brush had been used after all the winter salt/grit by myself plus a rub down with WD40 on the rods eight weeks ago while I was checking the rubber boots on the drive shaft pre MOT checks.