Washing engine bay

Foudah

I understand most modern vehicles have electrical "sensitive parts" sealed already. However I would like to be sure. So does anyone know exactly what needs to be covered in an engine bay if I am washing with a garden hose. Specifically for a Kodiaq. Pictures would be great too.

4 hours ago, Foudah said:

I understand most modern vehicles have electrical "sensitive parts" sealed already. However I would like to be sure. So does anyone know exactly what needs to be covered in an engine bay if I am washing with a garden hose. Specifically for a Kodiaq. Pictures would be great too.

I tend to avoid anything electrical when doing that. Also instead of using a hose - which probably isn't a good idea - I'd use mildly damp wipes. Still cleans great but without the risk of messing anything up. Like you said most sensitive areas are sealed up but I would still highly advise against using any form of hose.

• Like 1

I use Auto Brite Jaffa Clean, it's a cleaner, degreaser and protectant in one. Dilute 1/5 for regular cleaning and use neat for heavily soiled. I spray on, agitate with a brush in all the nooks and crannies and then wipe up with a few used but clean microfibre cloths. 

It's great on door shuts, etc... too, spray on, agitate if you wish and pressure wash off. 

I've used it for ten years+. 

With spray and wipe it's much easier to avoid anything remotely electrical. 

On 24/03/2019 at 21:25, Svend said:

I use Auto Brite Jaffa Clean, it's a cleaner, degreaser and protectant in one. Dilute 1/5 for regular cleaning and use neat for heavily soiled. I spray on, agitate with a brush in all the nooks and crannies and then wipe up with a few used but clean microfibre cloths. 

It's great on door shuts, etc... too, spray on, agitate if you wish and pressure wash off. 

I've used it for ten years+. 

With spray and wipe it's much easier to avoid anything remotely electrical. 

Exactly the method i use, i start off by snowfoaming the bay with some apc in my lance to make sure everything gets covered, once done you may want to dress your engine bay to impress your friends

• 2 months later...

I've recently moved to careful use of a steam cleaner for door shuts and engine bay; especially after the winter months.

Very please with the results - minimal need for chemicals, until final dress/protect stage.

• Like 1