Central Locking

Had nothing but bad luck this weekend like. First brake caliper siezed so needed that and new discs and pads on, then on the Sunday my central loocking decided to pack in. It is a 2002 Octavia VRS. I had a TOAD Ai606 fitted in August and all has been fine since, but, apologies to the people who installed it, I presumed it was this which had caused the problems. Basically the drivers door would not open with the central locking, and all the windows opened when the car was unlocked, this all sent the alarm going off at all hours.

I went to the alarm installers yesterday only to be told it was the central locking motor which had failed and I should go to the dealer to have it checked. he disconnected the TOAD from the wiring in the drivers door and said to come back when the dealer fixed it. Since then the car windows have had a mind of there own, they open when i open up, then after being closed the rear drivers window decides to open when I'm doing 70 on the motorway and you get this wierd pressure in your ears like your brain is gonna get sucked out. All the time the motors in all the doors are making weird noises and windows twitching, I have to close the rear window with the switch on the rear door as the console on the driver's doesn't respond!

I've got it booked in today at 2.30, but I'd rather not go into the dealer with my pants down, so has anyone got any views? I tried the key window stop reset but to no avail.

Is the driver's central locking unit the main brain for the rest of the doors and windows?

Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.:)

I think that on models with the convenience system fitted - which yours has - there is a central control unit under the facia panel on the driver's side, ie under the dash to the right of the steering column. One of our Irish members had one replaced recently - not cheap!

Just back from the dealer, they said it is probably a bad wire somewhere either in the door or boot, aparantly they are prone to failure and send the conrol unit loopy. Problem is I was just refused a warranty claim for my siezed brake caliper because of corrosion so it's not looking good warranty wise!

They can't look at it until next week, so fingers crossed.

Might be worth looking in the boot at the n/s behind the carpet near the cd changer as there is a multiplug in the loom next to the rear washer pipe connection which is known for leaking,water can leak into the plug and cause corrosion and if it does this can cause the cdl to have a mind of its own

Thanks! I'll go and check to noo!

Is it just a case of disconecting the battery and cleaning it with some circuit board cleaner and a brillo pad or something?

Actually, typical Scotland, it's chucking down so I'd better hang on.

Thanks for the advice though.

Much Appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had the car into the Dealer and the found the problem to be caused by faulty wiring and a drivers control unit for the central locking. Dropped the car off on Wednesday and collected it on Friday Morning. All together it cost

Does the dealer definatly know the drivers door control box has failed? My dealer decided mine had failed as drivers door wouldn't operated on the central locking, the electric mirror wouldn't opperate and the one touch facility on the drivers electric window was not working. This control box controls all three functions I'm lead to believe.

Anyway after changing the box (under warranty thankfully) the faults were still there. Many hours later it was traced to corroded wireing conections. Might be worth keeping an eye on them when they do the job. I'd suggest they fit the control box first and BE THERE WHEN THEY TEST IT. If the problem is still there refuse to pay for the expensive control box! :eek:

Just a thought and good luck.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm now a month on from getting the new control box fitted and the wiring repaired the car seems to playing up again. First the rear window would not operate from the drivers console but now seems to work again, then just today the drivers door is not locking properly with the central locking. the button goes down when I first press the lock button but then pops up again, I then have to press the lock button again to make it work. Does this disable the deadlocks?

I have a TOAD Ai606 cat 1 which operates the locking system, the lad at my local tyre place opened the car yesterday with the Skoda fob which automatically triggers the alarm as it suspects a break in, could that have messed things up?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I had the work done through a dealer so would I be correct in assuming it will be guaranteed?

Thanks!

Lew