Slightly high tick over MK 2 Skoda fabia estate 1.6 TDi

Hi guys, over the past week or so I've noticed that when I first get in the car and start it the tick over seems perfectly normal until I drive away then stop at lights say, it then goes up to 1000 Rpm and sticks until I turn it off again. Then the whole process starts again... I also noticed today the revs would not go above 2500 when ticking over. As soon as I start driving the revs are normal and will go all the way to the red. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.   (  MK 2- 2013  Skoda Fabia  estate1.6 TDi)  :thumbup:

...Reading between the lines, I think he means he can't actually rev it above 2500rpm, when stationary, rather then at tick over, but can rev when actually driving!

I dont think 1000rpm is actually unduly high, though but modern, fuel injection vehicles do tend to tick over slower then older, carbureted cars as they tend to stall less then the older systems.

Other then that, higher revs could be due to many things.

Have you got clean filters, etc? (Oil, air, pollen). Fresh oil? Added different fuel recently? By changing from premium to budget fuel or vice-versa, you may have triggered a change in the ECU's fuelling characteristics. This could even have happened if you have disconnected the battery. The car may need to re-adjust to your driving style. Usually, this takes a few trips, at a few varying speeds and conditions, for the ECU to know how you drive.

Then you start to go into faults such as sensors, MAF EGR, etc so start siple, especially if the car is otherwise running fine.

As its a diesel, have you had a good run in it lately, to unclog the exhaust system, etc?  Clean out the DPF as they make the car run funny. Make sure you let the car cool for a minute after a hard drive, before turning off, too.

• Like 1

Well, it certainly needs to be run through and used/refilled prior to any other decision. It may just be that having an effect after all, if it had NO EFFECT, why waste money on using it. DPF (Regen) is a very good starting point, too.

• Like 1

It seems back to normal today but that was on a short run and not up to full temperature. It is looking like a self-regen but will update later? I have never used the DPF cleaner before and possibly I gave in to a bit of panic as it had the emissions software update done by Skoda before I bought the car.  Saying that I have used the wynns fuel system cleaner in the past with positive results, (better mpg)... Thanks. 

Edited by neilybs6369

I only bought it about 5 weeks ago and only done about 600 miles since then. The emissions fix was done before I bought it. But good news I've just been out for a run and within 10 mins the DFP light went out and revs went back to a normal 750 rpm at tick over and that was at full temperature, yippie... It must have started to regen its self yesterday but didn't get to finish till I took it on a decent run. I had a bad DPF experience in the past with a 57 VRS Octavia so that would account for the paranoia. My last Fabia was a 2008 1.4 TDi PD engine with was a very faithful servant and never even had a DPF I think? So hopefully it's just a case of living with the car till I get to know its self-repairing abilities! (I HOPE...)  The only thing that did not change was it won't Rev beyond 2600 revs at a standstill? Not sure if that's normal for this model and engine? Cheers.

Sorry, no idea if engine management and a flow device was fitted. 

Edited by neilybs6369

• neilybs6369 changed the title to Slightly high tick over MK 2 Skoda fabia estate 1.6 TDi

The 1.6tdi tickover is raised to 1k when doing a DPF regeneration or batter charge is low. typically in winter when headlights are used more. I have heard that the car will not allow revs to be higher than 2.5k at stand still to protect itself. But why would you want to.

Edited by m8t
  • Like 1

Thanks guys,  I don't necessarily want to rev above the safe amount as I didn't realize it had protection on the revs.  Every other car I've owned would redline at standstill so this is the first time I've encountered it. I would add though I just checked my calendar and this is the second regen in a week, that is a bit worrying?  :wondering:  

So likely pretty much a clogged up DPF.

My 2016 2.0TDI SCR DSG will be getting handed back later this year.

40,000 miles, reggening all the time now when used for a few days of cold start short trips, 

and Blocked DPF light on in under a week this winter.

At least Euro 5 TDI's have been doing better than Euro6 TDI's.  I would not want one over 3 years old.

Cheers.  I had a VW BlueMotion Passat 1.6 TDi for 15 months before this and not once did the DPF light come on with 90% urban driving. It never crossed my mind that a newer car from the same company would have any DPF issues. The VW never had the emissions fix, so I'm now wondering if the fix is the cause... :wall: 

The region will need doing now and then and if you literally just drive until the light goes back off, you have cleared enough to not need to have the light on!

Harder, faster driving will burn more soot and empty the filter better but they do kind of hard empty so sometimes come on again quite quickly.

Removal of the filters internals is a slightly moral, high eyebrow action! Not cheap but chapter then a new filter that becomes too blocked or knackered.

• Like 1