Spare wheel removal on 5 seater

Hi all, thanks for your help.  What I'm actually after though is to get the floor (and supports if necessary) without any spare wheel at all.  If you don't configure the kodiaq with a spare wheel, the boot is far deeper (see below)

1490117016_565061163_w450_h400.jpg.b3d7ece3adbea9f94b6f153ab6881f25.jpg

Does anyone happen to have a picture of what is underneath the floor in the 5 seater that doesn't have a spare wheel?  I'd like to see whether the difference is solely the polystyrene supports, because the metal underneath my spare wheel seems shaped especially to accomodate the spare wheel (see below) - I wonder if this is still the case for the version without spare.

IMG_20190405_200739783.thumb.jpg.fcc102b5e5ac10f397f0022f14b2fe14.jpg

This is exactly the car I have.  From memory the car as originally supplied still had an indent for the spare wheel which was smoothed over by the mat.  I wanted the best of both worlds.  A spare when needed on a long journey but a deeper boot sometimes for larger items but also the raised boot floor if I need to move longer items so i get a level load floor equal to the same height as the folded row of middle seats.  I did two things.  First bought the replacement tyre set and inserts.  This gives me a raised boot floor but not a level load option. Second I bought the parts for the 5 seater with the variable load floor.  In 2018 in the UK this was only ever available on the lower spec 5 seater models not on my SE L version (else I would have ordered it).  It was quite commonly available outside the UK at the higher spec.  They dont do the 2018 specs now so not sure of current situation. Indeed I think many of the 5 seater options have gone

The issue to solve is that I bought the two top panels to sit level with the boot lip and the mid row of seats when folded flat.  However if you have a factory fitted variable boot they supply two brackets bolted to the chassis which allows the lift and tilt feature and support the panels on the join.  You cannot retrofit this.  So I cut  3 rails of wood and laid them in the boot in a H shape with the cross rail sitting below the join in the 2 top level floor panels.  If you cut the right size with a tight fit the pressure keeps them in place.

So I now have what I couldn't buy from the factory a five seater 2018 SEL 190 DSG with a spare wheel and a variable boot floor etc.  Indeed I can have all of these at once.  The boot is deep enough to have the spare wheel and poly inserts with the grey boot mat on top plus the split floor panels supported by my H arrangement above that to give me a flat rear floor if I want.  You also create a void between the two levels which you can access by lifting up the top panel to store stuff in.  I just swap things about as needed.

I would say this was not a cheap arrangement  nor easy to track down the part nos as when I was doing it most of the Kodiaq part numbers were not easily available The variable floor panels were very £££ I thought - you could do it with a strong sheet of wood but it would look odd.

A dealer has suggested that Skoda may release a retrofit kit for the variable load floor similar to my wooden H but I haven't seen anything (although I don't need to look now)

• Like 2

PS just checked your question again to make sure I have covered all I can.  When you buy a 5 seater without a spare wheel you also get a small thinner  bit of polystyrene similar to the shaped pieces that fit round the wheel.  This sits on top of the indent in the floor pan to smooth it out.  so when you have the floor mat on top it is smooth. If I opt to configure my boot back to basics I take everything out and put the small polystyrene panel back in before the larger floor carpet (as you get higher in the Kodiaq boot each floor carpet and mat gets smaller as the boot area is widest at its deepest point.

I do agree though if you take everything out it does make a significant difference to carrying capacity

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RGR_Dorset said:

PS just checked your question again to make sure I have covered all I can.  When you buy a 5 seater without a spare wheel you also get a small thinner  bit of polystyrene similar to the shaped pieces that fit round the wheel.  This sits on top of the indent in the floor pan to smooth it out.  so when you have the floor mat on top it is smooth. If I opt to configure my boot back to basics I take everything out and put the small polystyrene panel back in before the larger floor carpet (as you get higher in the Kodiaq boot each floor carpet and mat gets smaller as the boot area is widest at its deepest point.

I do agree though if you take everything out it does make a significant difference to carrying capacity

Rgr thank you so much for your detailed answer.  Do you by any chance know the part numbers for the smaller polystyrene piece that came with the basic car without the spare, as well as the basic floor that lays on top of it? As you said it's not easy to track these part numbers down, I tried asking my local dealer but they were not helpful at all. Thanks again

J

2 hours ago, RGR_Dorset said:

Hi the part number is 565 863 957 and this is what it looks like

298921430_IMG_37022.thumb.JPG.d9e5dd40b3cdfdef1552470d05cbf76e.JPG

That's excellent, thanks a lot. Sorry to be a pain but do you also have the number for the floor that sits on top of it?

1 hour ago, RGR_Dorset said:

Do you mean the grey floor carpet?  I will find out - I think it is in the loft at the moment!

Yea, although it not a carpeted hardboard like in the spare wheel versions? I assume the one I have will be the wrong size once I take the spare out and try to lower it. Sorry again, it would impossible to find this stuff out otherwise!

By the way I asked Skoda parts about buying the part you mentioned on the previous page (565 093 860).  They said that it is literally just the polystyrene mouldings, is that right? I.e. it doesn't include the wheel, tools and floor etc?

Edited by Jonny86
Typo

Hi the part number I quoted is what is moulded into the polystyrene insert and nothing else. This fits into and smooths over the indent in the floor plan which a spare wheel normally would sit in so you have a smooth floor if you dont have a spare wheel. They may supply it with some tools etc but I am surprised if they want to sell you a wheel as this part would be only  for the 5 seater without a spare wheel!.  The spare wheel kit which others have mentioned is to retrofit a spare wheel into a 5 seater supplied without one.  This includes the tyre, tools and polystyrene larger/higher inserts in peices to fit around the wheel.  As I mentioned before I have both and swap as needed. Earlier in the thread the link to an Ebay listings shows that in situ.

The 5 seater floor mat for a boot without a spare wheel fitted to sit on top of 565 093 860 is 565 863 463 N CA 9 on mine.  I know from previoius discussions with the parts people that N CA 9 is the colour code (I have dark grey - they do a sandy brown as well for example)

Good luck

• Like 1

Not sure where you are located Jonny86 but I have all the parts you require. My 5 seat Edition couldn't be ordered from the factory with a spare wheel so I bought the spare wheel kit afterwards and removed the small polystyrene insert, carpet, gunk and tyre inflator.

• 3 months later...
On 05/04/2019 at 23:38, RGR_Dorset said:

This is exactly the car I have.  From memory the car as originally supplied still had an indent for the spare wheel which was smoothed over by the mat.  I wanted the best of both worlds.  A spare when needed on a long journey but a deeper boot sometimes for larger items but also the raised boot floor if I need to move longer items so i get a level load floor equal to the same height as the folded row of middle seats.  I did two things.  First bought the replacement tyre set and inserts.  This gives me a raised boot floor but not a level load option. Second I bought the parts for the 5 seater with the variable load floor.  In 2018 in the UK this was only ever available on the lower spec 5 seater models not on my SE L version (else I would have ordered it).  It was quite commonly available outside the UK at the higher spec.  They dont do the 2018 specs now so not sure of current situation. Indeed I think many of the 5 seater options have gone

The issue to solve is that I bought the two top panels to sit level with the boot lip and the mid row of seats when folded flat.  However if you have a factory fitted variable boot they supply two brackets bolted to the chassis which allows the lift and tilt feature and support the panels on the join.  You cannot retrofit this.  So I cut  3 rails of wood and laid them in the boot in a H shape with the cross rail sitting below the join in the 2 top level floor panels.  If you cut the right size with a tight fit the pressure keeps them in place.

So I now have what I couldn't buy from the factory a five seater 2018 SEL 190 DSG with a spare wheel and a variable boot floor etc.  Indeed I can have all of these at once.  The boot is deep enough to have the spare wheel and poly inserts with the grey boot mat on top plus the split floor panels supported by my H arrangement above that to give me a flat rear floor if I want.  You also create a void between the two levels which you can access by lifting up the top panel to store stuff in.  I just swap things about as needed.

I would say this was not a cheap arrangement  nor easy to track down the part nos as when I was doing it most of the Kodiaq part numbers were not easily available The variable floor panels were very £££ I thought - you could do it with a strong sheet of wood but it would look odd.

A dealer has suggested that Skoda may release a retrofit kit for the variable load floor similar to my wooden H but I haven't seen anything (although I don't need to look now)

RGR_Dorset, just stumbled on your post. I find myself in exactly this position with the car I'm about to buy. It comes with the puncture repair kit and I want the option for a spare wheel an also the level load option. The dealer has quoted me a higher price of £550 than the usual spare wheel kit so, wondering if this is in fact to fit a level load option as he has been talking about fitting some sort of rails to the side to secure the floor properly. Currently waiting on answer! 

Do you have the part numbers for the 5 seater with variable load floor parts that you purchased ? Also any pictures of your install would be massively appreciated !

thanks

Nick

Hi apologies I am away travelling at the moment and my car is not currently set up that way and all the parts are a few hundred miles away. I won't be back there till September. But I think all the part numbers I used in addition to those supplied with original vehicle were in earlier post. However mine was a diy solution with wooden rails I cut to support the variable floor. The price you have been quoted suggests you are being offered something more organised such as an official retrofit solution which has been rumoured before and should be better. Also if it is as priced it would be cheaper than my solution as I think the parts and wheel must have cost c £750. If you are still struggling in a few weeks time get back in touch and I'll dig out any part numbers you still need

• 10 months later...