Scored rear discs Superb 3

2 hours ago, ewlmr said:

Might be an urban myth... But I have read a couple of times in a Swedish Skoda Facebook group lately that some modern VAG cars drag or apply the brakes intermittently when rain is detected by the rain sensors. Sounds a bit crazy but might explain the premature rotors/pads wear in wet climates like UK/Sweden?

Haven't been able to find any info/threads on English that confirm its true...

Its a very common feature on all cars nowadays. Its not about dragging in the brakes.

It will very occasionally in wet weather apply the brakes, not even enough for you to notice or cause any extra wear, just enough to dry the discs off. 

• Like 1

.. then it doesn't work on my Superb. They were /terrible/ the other week in wet, salty water. The Octy was always really good about this (and there was always significantly higher consumption in the rain). Very disappointed with the Superb wet braking at the moment. Need to check all the correct guards are in place. 

It seems to be a well known fact that Skoda (and possibly other VAG brands) have been fitting poor quality discs and pads.

My first 2017 Kodiaq needed 2 sets of replacement rear discs and pads under warranty inside 3 years at 11,700 and again at 23,700 miles. Third set were still ok when it departed at 30K.

My second 2020 Kodiaq has just had new rear discs and pads at under 12,000 miles.  No argument at all. Fitted on same day as oil change service. Glasgow BTW.

My pictures over 4 years are similar to the above. Front brakes always wearing evenly and shiny all over, while rears show very uneven pad contact and significant uneven bands of corrosion vs. braking area.

There is no Skoda defence just because the car does actually slow down OK.

As another owner who has had to change the rear discs and pads at 40,000 and 4 years, I had a good look at the front discs and pads as I assumed they would be in the same or worse state, but they were perfect with only a slight lip on the disks compared to the rear.  I am confused that the discs which are doing 70% of the braking had less wear and were in better condition than the rear!!!    My car is parked on my driveway which has an ever so slight slope and the car has always wanted to move down the slope so the brakes have not been binding.  

I can only conclude with the other suggestions on  this thread that the original rear Skoda discs are crap where the front are fine.  Either that or Skoda in their infinite wisdom, fitted brake pads so hard that they caused premature wear.  But why would they do that on the rears???   

I am wondering if there is anyone on the forum that has changed the rear discs and pads some time ago and can compare the new ones with the original?