Rust. Anyway to prevent it spreading?

Hello,

I have a MK2 vrs and it has the dreaded boot lid rust and also some on the lower passenger door I noticed last week. I have been quoted X amount to sort the rust at a local body shop place but can't really afford it right now. Anyone know a good way to just keep it at bay for now? Or even a easy way to sort it myself. It's not too bad at the moment but it's got worse from when I bought the car. Thanks

No evidence, I have used it for things over the years.. Kurust turns it black and it stops. Then I just used touch up Stick in places. 

How old Is your car? It might still be covered under the bodywork corrosion warranty, might be worth asking your local dealer if they can do anything 

Edited by pee81

I should of mentioned that I have been in contact with my local Skoda garage, which is a 2 hour drive away. And they said it needs all the Skoda service stamps. Which it hasn't had since 40k miles. It's a 10 plate. 

If it needed all the Service Stamps it would also have needed Annual or Bi-Annual Body Inspections and reports on condition.

But then that is not in the T&C's of the Corrosion Warranty that Skoda Provided.

Then not all Skoda Dealerships employees did Body Inspections and put them in the Service Books that came with a Skoda to 2012, or even since on the System.

Skoda are knocking back warranty claims currently on paint issues on newer cars because no Body Inspection report.

Best not listen to Dealership employees that speak through their back side.

Have things from them in writing with their name, and the same from the Warranty Manager that looks, takes pictures and then puts that to the Warranty Provider.

So Skoda UK, then have everything they say in writing as well.

Edited by Skoffski

• 4 weeks later...

hi  I have  a  2012  vrs and  have the rust issue  on the  tail  gate  around one  of the number plate lights  and  the  lower  passenger door  also, i  have  just spent  a  little time  removing the rust around the number plate  light  and gave  it  three  good  coats of  primer  from  a  touch up  kit i bought,   i have yet to  add the   top  coat.    I   suppose this  will slow down the process  of  rot but  will never  stop it,

my  previous car  was and  05  passat  and this had the very  same  rust  which i ignored  and it  spread  all the up the boot  lid nearly on to the top. must be a horrendous   design  issue  with vag  group   cars which they still havent rectified.

4 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

Is the door rusting from outside (i.e. Stone chip) or inside.

I'll have to have a look, but the doors rust is right on the bottom left, I don't know how a stone chips could of done it like

22 hours ago, SimpsonMrG said:

I'll have to have a look, but the doors rust is right on the bottom left, I don't know how a stone chips could of done it like

Stones flipped up from passing cars maybe?  It amazes me that I have a few chips on the side of mine but it does happen.

46 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

Stones flipped up from passing cars maybe?  It amazes me that I have a few chips on the side of mine but it does happen.

The main issue is the boot. It's rusted from a poor weld joint and the paint cracked, so regardless it's not a chip issue