Skoda Fabia est 2015-2017

Hi all. I'm on the lookout for an estate car with a suitably sized boot to carry my two greyhounds. Just wondered if anyone on here has a Fabia Estate and uses the boot space for their dogs? Do you find there's sufficient room, also what do you use as a dog guard to block off access to rear seats?

I was looking at a 16 plate estate yesterday and the salesman sent me a video of the car as not in my area. It looks perfect but the boot flooring only looks like a thin piece of carpet and I'm concerned it won't be strong enough to hold my dogs' weight?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Andy

Hi Andy. I have a Fabia III Estate. One of my main criteria was that the rear lip be low enough for my Irish Setter to jump in, as he is now advancing in years, and many cars are just that little bit too high. To avoid him jumping into a "well" I bought the optional false boot floor, which, as well as raising the floor to level with the lip, is very substantial and would certainly take the weight of a couple of dogs without a problem.

As far as space is concerned, I wouldn't like to try putting a couple of Setters in there, but a brace of Greyhounds might be okay: I'll try to post a photo tomorrow to show the amount of space available. The dog guard I bought is an earlier version of the one shown here: http://arrows-uk.com/world-heavy-duty-mesh-headrest-guard-hatchback-estat-p-719.html?cPath=119_139_p2#slideshow. It does the job, and isn't too onerous to remove or reinstate when necessary.

Paul

9 hours ago, macsmurf said:

Hi Andy. I have a Fabia III Estate. One of my main criteria was that the rear lip be low enough for my Irish Setter to jump in, as he is now advancing in years, and many cars are just that little bit too high. To avoid him jumping into a "well" I bought the optional false boot floor, which, as well as raising the floor to level with the lip, is very substantial and would certainly take the weight of a couple of dogs without a problem.

As far as space is concerned, I wouldn't like to try putting a couple of Setters in there, but a brace of Greyhounds might be okay: I'll try to post a photo tomorrow to show the amount of space available. The dog guard I bought is an earlier version of the one shown here: http://arrows-uk.com/world-heavy-duty-mesh-headrest-guard-hatchback-estat-p-719.html?cPath=119_139_p2#slideshow. It does the job, and isn't too onerous to remove or reinstate when necessary.

Paul

That's really helpful Paul, thanks so much for the reply. Where did you get the false floor from and did it add much to the cost? Yes if you could post pics of the space in the boot I'd be very grateful. Andy

Okay, here are the photos I promised. Hopefully they give a better idea of how much space there is for the dog. The false floor was ordered with the car as an optional extra: I think it may have been around the £75 mark? The rubber boot-liner was listed as only compatible with the hatchback, but in fact it fits the estate perfectly. As you can see, the false floor gives useful extra hidden storage space beneath it: it also gives a near-flat surface front-to-back if you remove the rear seat squab before folding the seat backs.

Hope this helps!

Paul

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0888.jpeg

With regard to the original boot floor, it is not quite as flimsy as it might appear. There is a stiffener underneath the carpet which sits directly on the spare wheel and the side members. With a decent boot floor cover I am sure it would be suitable for the dogs.

54 minutes ago, peter3197 said:

With regard to the original boot floor, it is not quite as flimsy as it might appear. There is a stiffener underneath the carpet which sits directly on the spare wheel and the side members. With a decent boot floor cover I am sure it would be suitable for the dogs.

Thanks Peter. This is why I'm asking about the variable floor, as I don't think the original would be strong enough to support two large dogs. Andy

13 hours ago, AndyCoops said:

Thanks for those pics Paul. I'm trying to visualise if my hounds are bigger or smaller than your setter. How heavy is your dog if you don't mind me asking? Andy

He's 25 kilos. He also has a bony bum, so you feel all those kilos when he sits on your foot!

3 minutes ago, macsmurf said:

He's 25 kilos. He also has a bony bum, so you feel all those kilos when he sits on your foot!

Lol, that's roughly the weight of my largest hound, I'm confident I'd get both in the boot space. I've reserved a 16 plate so fingers crossed when I look at it, everything will work out! Thanks for your help.

I have ordered the "False floor" for my new car which is eagerly awaited.  It has a suggested maximum weight limit of 75Kg so should be OK to support my two dogs which weigh in at 31 and 35 kilos.  Your two greyhounds should be a perfect fit.  Good luck

49 minutes ago, Stratton said:

I have ordered the "False floor" for my new car which is eagerly awaited.  It has a suggested maximum weight limit of 75Kg so should be OK to support my two dogs which weigh in at 31 and 35 kilos.  Your two greyhounds should be a perfect fit.  Good luck

Awesome, all the best