Yeti 110 2wd vibration at 60-70mph

gingerrob

Have a 2011 Yeti 2.0 110 2wd and since I got it in December it has had an annoying vibration at 60-70mph.

Had the wheels balanced - no difference

Changed the nearside ball joint and wheel bearing as it seems to be coming from that side.

No difference.

Changed the discs and pads whilst I was there, no difference.

Slight noise when turning right from left hand front area so bit the bullet and changed the driveshaft including both CV joints.

No difference and the slight noise when turning is still there????

Dipping the clutch makes it reduce slightly but it is still there.

At a loss now any ideas please...

Very unlikely to be clutch or engine mounts as that would happen at a particular engine rev, not a road speed.

Vibration at a speed has to be due to a rotating part eg wheel ,disc brake, driveshaft etc.

You have balanced the wheels but a tyre fault can cause a vibration due to varying rolling radius or a fault on the surface of the tyre

Edited by kenfowler3966
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

a tyre fault can cause a vibration

Also @gingerrob

I swear this is true. a mechanic mate of mine once had someone come in complaining about a vibration from the new tyre just fitted by "YouCan't...". Well, in this case you most certainly could because there was a pair of 8" pliers inside the new tyre, and I know literally because I was there when he broke the beads and the pliers fell out of the tyre.

The rear nearside tyre does seem more worn on the outside shoulder than the others so maybe try a proper tyre place as Kwik fit did not fill me with confidence when Thu did the balancing....

19 minutes ago, gingerrob said:

Kwik fit did not fill me with confidence when Thu did the balancing

Quick question - Are the yellow dots on the tyre walls at or at least near the valve stems? They should be.

If the tyres are wearing odly, take it for a 4 wheel allignment.

I had the inside edges of the rear tyres wearing more & the same type of vibration you have described.

It cured the vibration on my Superb.

Simple tyre check would be to swap from front to back, one side at a time,  and see if that makes a difference. At least that should rule out the tyres themselves. 

A 4 wheel alignment would be sensible after 7 years of motoring just to make sure everything is aligned properly. 

• Like 1

I've got a similar issue on mine.  It's a 4wd though.  It started as a vibration that could be felt above 45mph, linked to the road speed.  I had the wheels balanced, and one was "miles out of balance" according to the shop that balanced them.  Probably down to a balance weight coming off.

The vibrations went away for a while, but I've recently noticed an ever so slight wibble on the steering wheel over about 65mph, again linked to speed.  I'm suspecting the wheel balance again, especially as my annapurna alloys are shedding lacquer in a big way.

• Like 1

I had new tyres , balanced, fitted to a VW Golf. There was an awful vibration at around 40mph, a mechanic sent out to look took the car back to VW

The upshot was that one front wheel had not been fitted square to the hub flange and raised a burr. Refitted properly and all was well.

Edited by gumdrop