New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..

Ootohere

8 hours ago, Paws4Thot said:

You reckon? It's 50 miles from Kyle of Lochalsh to Uig.

Well depends on how much driving about you do and how much time is spent out of the car. We did about 200 miles visiting all the well known spots I suppose, so yes 300 miles would have been OK for us. I see the poster will be doing similar to us over a similar time period. We were able to charge at Uig due to being handy for the hotel, which was planned due to nerves about charging. That trip taught me charging is not a major issue in the UK. We may have struggled to reach the Armadale ferry on our return trip without charging at all, but the ID.4 does not have a 300 mile range like a Tesla. 

Perhaps I should have used a tongue in cheek smiley. :tongueout:

• Like 1

My Isle of Skye rough plan done.  Chargepoint scotland RFID card arrived.

No problem If able to charge overnight staying somewhere near Portree. Total about 450 miles driving away from Fort William superchargers. So need under 200 miles of range added whilst on the isle.

London – Glasglow 

Glasglow – (32mi) Luss village – (58mi) Glencoe valley – (35mi) Glenfinnan viaduct – (17mi) Fort William (6 Tesla superchargers)      <~150 miles total>

Fort William – (96mi) A87 Highland Cows viewpoint – (108mi) Portree (2 CPS charging)           <~204 miles to Portree>

Portree – (7mi) Old Man of Storr – (8mi) Kilt Rock – (13mi) Fairy Glen (1 CPS charging at Uig Pier) – (17mi) Portree    <~45 miles total>

Portree – (34mi) Dunvegan Castle (1 CPS charging at Dunvegan) – (12mi) Neist Point Lighthouse – (33mi) Portree    <~80 miles total>

Portree – (43mi) Eilean Donan Castle – (65mi) Fort William (6 Tesla superchargers) – (100mi) Stirling    <~210 miles total>

Stirling – (37mi) Edinburgh

Edinburgh - London

Now finding accommodation on the isle.....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was 44 minutes on the old Rapid at Stirling Castleview Park & Ride after failing to get the 3 under the canopies to start. 

Not normally an issue over the 40 minutes by a few minutes.

There is no pricing on the chargers.

Just spotted on CPS that now that the price is at 59 pence a kWh it is a 50 minutes max charging time then £1 a minute after that. 

36 minutes & 20 kWh one day on the new chargers and 44 minutes and 26 kWh the next on the original charger.

@wyx087  Tesla Supercharging at Eurocentral Motherwell between Edinburgh & before Glasgow if that suits you. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

Thanks, first day big driving up is a Friday, will start mid afternoon and finish around midnight. We'll be driving up M6 and M74 to ensure autopilot can easily handle it and do all the heavy lifting. 

I have driven up to Scotland about 12 years ago, up from A1M. The roads near Scottish boarder are single carriage ways. It was raining and lorries speed past really close. I don't want to tackle that again late at night. 

I see near Glasgow/Edinburgh there's a LOT of chargers, many options to choose from. Similarly, the drive up/down has lots of options, we plan to stop every ~2 hours anyway. 

The only bit of charging I'm worried is reliance on Fort William superchargers and the 4 CPS rapids on Isle of Skye. 

Do all CPS have 50 min max charge time?  

Also, Scotland is a bit country! 

40 minutes ago, Rooted said:

EV charging @ Falkirk Football Stadium / Helix park, where the Kelpies are if wanting to go to Edinburgh via there. 

We found the Kelpies fascinating and spent over an hour looking at them - with the walk to them and coffee we charged for 2 hours there on 3-phase AC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

Also, Scotland is a bit country! 

Unfortunate typo. BIG country. Doesn't get the sense from maps, but it's huge when looking at driving distances.

• Love it! 1

Posted (edited)

Perthshire is Big Tree Country.

No not all 50 Mins max charging time.

Some are 60 or 70 Minutes on Rapids.      Some still no time limit but maybe that will be almost over with from April. 

I have 2 cards now & 2 accounts & am locked out of both.

Cards work but it is a regular hassle that when signing in the Email Address and Password come up as not matching and getting then reset a passing back and fore with a Cut and Paste that does not work.

Now i use the card and then just look at how much they are going to Debit when the time comes.  I can not check the invoice.  PITA. 

Screenshot 2024-03-15 10.24.23.png

Screenshot 2024-03-15 10.23.54.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

Wow, council chargers at for-profit organisation prices.

I'm just going to stick with Tesla superchargers throughout my journey except for in Skye.

• Like 1

Tesla have opened yet another hub to all cars, in Bristol this time. Thats 38 open to all, 39 when Thetford reopens after being upgraded. They are now a serious player in the open to all EV charging business.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Tesla Supercharger on the outskirts of Dundee is worth using 'Tesla non Tesla' now that Dundee Council has a ridiculous tariff / connection charge at their hubs.

Especially with so much renewable electricity available in the region and battery storage.

'They encouraged the uptake, get the reputation of Electric City and then have taken the total pith IMHO.'

Screenshot 2024-03-21 10.13.17.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-21 10.21.33.jpg

Edited by Rooted

Posted (edited)

It is perfect for me for when i want to head off fully charged and have travelled through to Dundee before going.

Broxden Park & Ride Perth Supercharger would be even better if it was Tesla non-Tesla as i have used 1/3rd or more of my range by the time i am passing there going the way i do regularly avoiding Dundee.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 12.05.37.jpg

Edited by Rooted

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have an Account with CPS and then did the Update as required check how much has been taken.

I got notice of how much would be taken and this was correct for the sessions i had.  This was taken from the account as was.  3 sessions.

Then the money was taken again for 1 of these sessions that was already paid for from the new set up. 

I have asked them to make the refund. 

Edited by Ootohere