New or improved hubs announced, Government EV Loans in Scotland and free & no longer free public charging places..

Ootohere

Efficiency is. But then the cars are turned out on Summer / ECO tyres and not that efficient when cold, and the batteries are not and plenty chargers in Scotland are not good in cold weather, or hot weather or just any weather.

Lets see how rear wheel drive Light Commercial EV's actually get on in winter once they appropriate tyres are fitted to them for use in rural areas in winter, 

and how they get on with 30 minute max charging times like in Edinburgh City or 45 minutes like East Lothian, Highland Region or any other regions. 

On 11/08/2022 at 09:23, wyx087 said:

This is my experience. Although 45min is enough for Leaf due to lower battery-to-charging-speed ratio, with such a small  range of search area, I often forced to use unreliable charging locations (single rapid, busy loc, etc)

I think this can be summarised to one simple sentence: ;)

Efficiency is king.

should have bought a Skoda

enyaq efficiency.jpg

• Like 2

They seem to be the boy, we will see if still in a few years,

just location location location and charger availability can be an issue even with a Skoda.

Even the A93 / A939 routes and area in Scotland is a PITA where there is 1 Rapid Charger in a town on that route and out of order for days or weeks or you can not check if still out of order or actually back in service.

Locals or regulars might have some clue and maybe can slow charge, but day tourists or those travelling in the area can be stuffed.

Braemar, Ballater, Aboyne, Alford, Dufftown, Tomintoul sort of areas.

Whisky Trail / Snow Roads, fantastic driving routes. 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-cRifFyP3nA

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/-cRifFyP3nA

Edited by roottoot

A rainy start @ Turnberry. The £10 should be on his bill.

(there are 5 x 7 kW in the Staff Car Park.)

There is a free 50 kWh CPS charger 0.5 miles away @ Turnbery Lodge Road car park, but it was out of order for the past couple of weeks.

The 22 kW AC in Girvan has been broken for 3 months, the single 50 kWh works, only 1 of the 7Kw does and i report it weekly, the Dowhill far 1.5 miles away has a new provider & it is 40 pence a kWh.

He misses lots of chargers at villages and towns just off the route by not looking at ZapMap, PlugShare or even the CPS map.

A few miles just going off the A9 and then back on and not stopping where he did for a pee at 50 Pence and there was a Rapid charger and food and drinks, 

same at Aviemore, same at Tomatin near the distillery, 

Edited by roottoot

On 14/08/2022 at 09:33, domhnall said:

should have bought a Skoda

enyaq efficiency.jpg

Somehow the Enyaq I test drove got me worse mi/kWh in local roads than when I thrashed the Model Y on a dual carriageway at "70" mph. I know the area very well and the dealers are just across a retail park, but I only got 3.1 mi/kWh whereas same road in my Leaf in similar great weather would have gotten above 4 mi/kWh.

Police Scotland are spending on EV's and the chargers will come at the Police Stations as the budget they got to put them in was big enough.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/police-stations-across-scotland-given-27745262

May 2022.   3.1 million spent on chargers.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/police-scotland-electric-cars-fleet-26965999

Feb 2022.

http://www.sundaypost.com/fp/police-scotland-electric-cars

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Free Charging where still available in Scotland is lovely, but it is unreliable and getting on a charger and then how that charger might then deliver a charge is hit or miss.

Yesterday i arrived @ Stirling with 30% charge on the car @ the place was busy at all chargers & the 4 Rapids were occupied so i want on the AC 7 kw but almost as soon as i was charging someone moved and i got on the 50 kW Rapid.

As you might see here i got a pretty poor charge in the 48 minutes.

Then 95 miles later the single charger i was going to use was occupied so i went on the AC and had a chat with the Ionic Owner visiting Scotland that had no card and had not got the charger to start on the App so phoned CPS to start it.

He could not not stop the charger and could not disconnect and could get no reply from CPS so i asked if i could hit the Emergency Stop button. 

That let him get away and the charger reset without issue and started fine on my card.

You can see the difference with a 50 kWh charger working efficiently and charging up to 92% for me. 

Screenshot 2022-08-26 9.51.51 AM.jpg

• Like 1

If I were to visit Scotland spring next year, what cards/membership do I need to access those free charging? 

Reading about tourist visitors made reminded me that I need to get prepared for charging further afield compared to Leaf. I've been wanting to do the NC500 for a while now. Would be good if I can do it whilst there's still free charging. 

We did about a thousand miles in Scotland in June. We charged almost exclusively on ChargePlace Scotland (CPS) chargers and they all worked seamlessly. We had registered an account with them last year, but never made it up to Scotland. We got a CPS RFID card (costs £10) and used that without exception to start/stop charges and never had a problem. The free charging units are normally CPS units and we did get free charges at Pitlochry, Fort Augustus and Callander. The other charges were very reasonable at 18-36p / kWh. The only non-CPS charging we did in Scotland was a Podpoint rapid at Tain Tesco which was a very reasonable 28p/kWh. (this could have been free too, but two old boys who obviously knew each other well were hogging the free 22kW chargers :rofl:)

Edited by Luckypants
bit of extra info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The issue is old chargers like the one I am on now.   CPS / SWARCO want condemned and then a nice e-volt charger installed with SWARCO having the maintenance contract.   So when I got through after 4 failed status the guy says they can not REMOTE start.  Odd they always have done.     So I had to hit Emergency Stop.  Then pull it out.  Hold the stop button for 20 seconds and it reset.  Then I got charging.   The AC cable on the side which is broken is reported again.  The 2 AC 7 kW not working are reported again. The app thinks 1 is occupied and the other available.  Neither would start.    Stirling park and ride has another maintenance provider and there are hubs with ABB chargers that are rather good and  an Australian manufacturers chargers that are being installed.   Sadly SWARCO, e-volt have to much on a monopoly charger wise and then running CPS is not helping.      If only everything was reliable everyplace as sons areas that get special attention that would be great. 

Ps,. I feel for the PodPoint maintenance guys in their range extender vans which are rear wheel drive on ECO tyres and require to charge 4 times getting up to and back from Wick. Winter time will be an adventure in their working day.  Obviously they can charge at PodPoints but they were not given CPS cards.  They never got vans with the 22kW charging option just 11kw.       There are more with big battery cars that now go onto 22kW chargers to top up fuller rather than going on a 50 kWh charger putting out less charge.  I see this more at Park and Rides like Stirling with enough 22kWh chargers.    Also handy to be able to use whilst waiting on a DC charger becoming available. 

Edited by roottoot

Girvan Community Hospital on the A77 at the roundabout and with the Wind Turbine now has DC and AC charging in the car park.  This shows on PlugShare and as CPS chargers.  They are.  Be aware not for public use.  Marked on the bays as NHS fleet vehicles only.  

DSCN1663.JPG

Edited by roottoot

That Mercedes A class PHEV is capable of CCS rapid charging IIRC. So should have used CCS. It's a totally stupid decision by Mercedes to provide that capability for the tiny PHEV battery and dealers to never educate users on the idea of different charging speeds. 

I sat through an hour of Tesla owners club new-owner presentation a few nights ago. I was there to get my questions answered, but it is great to see charging explained to new owners in such detail. Most dealers won't bother with this level of knowledge transfer, leaving new owners to figure out for themselves. 

Also, I think Chargemaster/Polar/Pulse are the only ones still doing triple head chargers. It's about time to only install dual-head DC chargers and provide a 22 kW AC charging post for Zoe's. If it doesn't fit, uninformed won't use it. 

• Like 1

@wyx087 A BP Pulse diesel van arrived. 

The driver told me they are getting Range Extender vans. I said i hoped he gets one with 22 kWh AC charging unless the BP Pulse Chargers he uses are more reliable than the ones i have tried.

He had been at a nearby 'Improved & Extended Park & Ride hub' checking serial numbers, 

i asked if the Rapid Chargers were now operational.

No they are lit up and not actually on the CPS system yet.  Seemingly undergoing final testing or whatever it is that has them often lit up for months and none opperational.

Today at Edinburgh Airport when i arrived there were 2 with 'Out of Service Lights on. Next to the van. 

I pulled out the emergency stop and held out for 20 seconds and they reset.  The 2 available chargers would not start with CPS card, Debit or Credit Card or CPS app.

They never answered the phone, the calls were just ended after 5 rings. 

The 2 cars charging had required the owners to mess about but eventually started.

I tried these but they showed as Occupied so i eventually got through on the phone to CPS and 40 minutes after arriving got 20 kWh of a charge.

Enough to get me home but as it was i went to a proper charger, flashed the card, got up to 90% for free and got home 15 miles later with 92%. 

30 Minutes on a 50 kW Charger is just not enough for many, and it is all good and well coming off and moving to an available charger and getting maybe 15 mins more or even 30, but not if chargers are not starting for you or others.

Stirling Park & Ride is really quite busy much of the time now and the 4 Rapid chargers, 1 old and 3 new are triple head.

There are more parking on the 22 kW chargers but that are cars with only 7 kW AC in the main, there are some though with 11 or 22 kW AC onboard.

Older ABB Chargers can be a mystery but e-Volt ones and there placement can just be hopeless. 

The Mercedes Driver in the Picture above did not know about the 30 Minutes and was about 50 minutes on the charger so there will be a £30 penalty coming his way. 

He had parked and charged on there just after i had reset that charger and was trying to get on one myself further up the line.

There are 4 22 kW chargers up past the Transformer allowing 3 hours charge time. 

Screenshot 2022-08-31 14.15.38.jpg

DSCN1645.JPG

DSCN5434.JPG.662062b98477e18f36955c8f2ddd8383.jpeg

DSCN5431.JPG.690f800f45facbb56d420a3d75a45231 (1).jpeg

Edited by roottoot

15 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Covered chargers, very nice. But what's that Ioniq doing using AC?

Cheaper rate for AC? 

Is ionic only 7 kW or 11,16,22,43 AC capable? 

@lol-lolThe Charging is free.

Good Charging around Kilmarknock.   Some of the best in Scotland.

BUT,

Council, Roads, Utilities, NHS, Home Carers etc etc. have EV's.  So lots of vehicles needing charging.

Problem is at Break Time, Lunch Time they might just go charging to meet up. Often if they are just topping up they will let you on if they are with the cars.

Others leave cars for hours and hours and head off. So they plug into the 7 kW. Some plug into the 50 kW and still bog off all day.

Then there are Hybrids charging @ 3.6 kW plugged in for hours to the 7 kW and the drivers bog off leaving the car. 

Picked up by others.

eg,  Mitsubishi @ VW Hybrid drivers,,,,,,  PITA. 

At Stirling Park & Ride there are plenty Council Vehicles Charging on the 7 kW chargers and there 'Long Time Mister' 'All NIght Long ***** *****''

Total PITA when some muppet driver parks one up for hours on 1 of the only 4 50 kW Chargers. 

Usually the older ABB outside one.   Especially if any of the 3  New e-Volt chargers are playing up.  As in not starting.  Dead slow and cutting out, or Hogged by the greedy.

The Rapid Speed there can be pathetic when they are available and charging. 

EDIT.  

Doh i see i was ranting on that on the day last week....

eg. 

Last week & Stirling Park & Ride with a low battery at start of charge.

When the Council Vehicles are parked in the spaces available for plenty of vehicles there is no issues.

Just a pity there are not at the site a few 100 / 100 + charger that you can pay to use.

DSCN1292.JPG.1c58f9a794bc5ca9e39e8ebb0b023264.jpeg

Edited by roottoot

@Luckypants

It would be good if people used ZapMap & PlugShare and put in if chargers are working or not as a service to others, or bothered reporting issues to CPS / SWARCO when they are not.  There is a function on the App to send a message.

It only takes a few minutes with ZapMap / PlugShare when at a charger to let others know the condition, speed etc.

Also to let them know of chargers they do not show on their apps.

This is a Scottish Charging Hub thread and it is nice when it can be positive experience like your experiences

& most if not nearly all of mine.

(I do lots of charging @ CPS chargers since i need to at least every 135 miles and only do public charging and 15,000 miles a year.)

But the issue is when it is not positive with CPS / SWARCO & there are no alternative charging options.

Like at the one Rapid Charger available @ Girvan, the one that they would rather it finally died.  (Luckily the new charger 6 miles away has been reliable.)

The 2 AC / 7 kw chargers next to the Rapid might or might not work, often not.

** This might be the last charger people can use when going for a Ferry to Ireland as the next one is most often out of service.

So it can be the first one they get to coming off a ferry.   This is on the South West Coastal 300.

That was being promoted as a route for EV's by Tourist chiefs.**

The Big Charger has had the AC cable broken for months and just needs a new cable.

I report it every week and am told the inspection is due in the next week.  Today they said last week.

Either South Ayrshire Council are not paying for it, or the Inspection promised every month is not being done and the maintenance person has no new part with them. 

Memories of when it worked and if needing to just top the battery right up you could use the AC and let others get on the DC and charge.

DSCN5439.JPG

Screenshot 2022-09-01 08.44.41.jpg

Edited by roottoot

A new Rapid installed in the centre of Forfar, and a 7 kW AC @ the Myre Car Park. 

Not yet on the CPS App, or ZapMap or PlugShare but it would have been rude not to see if it worked and it did. 

So i parked with my rear passenger side quarter panel next to the Charger, sensible would be normally to reverse to that position.

Actually using the Bays as marked is not going to suit many vehicles other than maybe at one bay.

Thats just how things go.   Not always the brightest do the design, installation or marking. 

The only bay suitable for my car will be the one nearest in the picture as the furthest one will not allow the CCS to get to my charge port. 

If someone is on a AC i am stuffed. But i will ignore the marking and reverse up close to the charger if i ever need to use it. 

eg.

Bottom is the other charger in town.

DSCN1682.JPG

DSCN0008.JPG.2f90cd5161013a64b8ef7e11faf5cf8e.jpeg

DSCN0009.JPG.6745b6946e6ed01629c3d8bafa97546f.jpeg

DSCN5770.JPG.05df8f06896b8a35eb6fb19f15d5ac84.jpeg

Edited by roottoot

• 3 weeks later...

http://dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/electric-vehicle-owners-soon-pay-27835670

Charging for free will end at Perth & Kinross Council provided chargers on the 1st January 2023. 

(Charging in @ Angus Council chargers is still at 23 pence a kWh and without time limit but this may well be changing.)

Screenshot 2022-09-21 07.38.18.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-21 07.37.30.jpg

Edited by roottoot

• 4 weeks later...

Not had any new hubs mentioned for a while, so here are three I've heard of recently:-

MFG 6x150kW chargers at Stanton St Quintin near the M4
MFG 5x150kW chargers in Lewisham
Denbighshire Council hub 3x50kW and 33 rapid chargers at West Kinmel Street Car Park, Rhyl.

• Like 1

@Luckypants

Those are not in Scotland though.

Tomorrow i am at Broxden Park & Ride Perth & planning on charging there so i will see if the new chargers that were due to open by now have even started to be installed.

Also if the current chargers are working because watching ZapMap & PlugShare they have been very hit or miss if people are getting them started or keeping on working.