info please

hi all looking at buying a skoda superb are there any superbs i shouldt buy

seen 2 i like          skoda superb 2.0 (190) se l executive and 1.6 (120) se hatchback

anybody no of any issues with these cars please thanks

Some of the early cars (2015-2016) had a few problems. All seem to be sorted now. I have a 2017 190 TDI and like the engine a lot, though others prefer the 150. Are you looking to buy new or second hand? If second hand, check the service history carefully. They are online these days but if you are buying from a dealer they should be able to print it out for you. Good luck. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, spike2018 said:

Yer second hand mate 24000 miles  how do I find the service on line 

If you are buying from a dealer they will print it for you. If not, I'm not sure, but a call to your central Skoda service operator (equivalent of Skoda UK) with the VIN or registration number will probably get you what you need. 

Depending on what you're coming from, you might find the 120 a little underpowered.  Its fine for most driving but if going more long distance then 150 or 190.  150 is probably a slightly sweeter engine overall and almost as powerful as the 190 in the real world.  If its DSG, then make sure the box has been serviced and works okay.

• Like 1

I drove the 190 and 150 back to back before buying and couldn't justify the extra £ and getting involved with Ad-Blu as the 40hp extra seemed higher up the range and not useful to me.

Might add here I have the DSG (awesome 6 speed) and if you want a manual or tow then the equation may change.

Also have a think about how long you plan to keep it. The SEL Exec will have more toys, which means more fun in the short term, but potentially more cost if you plan to keep it long-term. Press all the buttons and make sure they all work.

@Superb170 makes a good point re what you are coming from. The Superb is a brilliant motorway muncher, with more interior space than you could ever use. But it is a barge, so make sure you get a good test drive to make sure it will do what you want - neither of the two you mention is going to match a hot hatch away from the line for example. And mileage could be a consideration when choosing between petrol and diesel. 

@LeeBB has a good point - until recently the 150 didn't use adblue (though I believe more recent models do) whereas the 190 has always used it. There were some issues with over-filling the adblue tank in early cars but I think these are now resolved and I've never had a problem with mine. 

There are a few threads on here about what to check for when test driving a used Superb. It's worth doing a search (the search function is the magnifying glass at the top of the page). Obvious things include fluid levels and tyre pressure and tread depth, less obvious ones include the umbrellas in the doors and the torch in the boot. If buying privately a PDI check is a must IMHO.

Depending on the age, you will get the balance of the manufacturer's warranty (usually up to three years from date of first registration but could be longer). If it's out of warranty then a dealer will still likely provide a more limited one year warranty. Make sure you know what the position  is before you buy. 

59 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

@LeeBB has a good point - until recently the 150 didn't use adblue (though I believe more recent models do) whereas the 190 has always used it. There were some issues with over-filling the adblue tank in early cars but I think these are now resolved and I've never had a problem with mine. 

Another good reason to only fill up the Adblue from a (HGV) ‘fuel’ pump, they work exactly the same as a fuel pump and will cut off automatically (not to mention it can be half the price compared to filling out of a container)

59 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Depending on the age, you will get the balance of the manufacturer's warranty (usually up to three years from date of first registration but could be longer). If it's out of warranty then a dealer will still likely provide a more limited one year warranty. Make sure you know what the position  is before you buy. 

Worth getting a service history printout from a dealer as they were also available with the optional 5 year / 100,000 mile warranty out of the factory (as an additional cost).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spike2018 said:

About 45000 a year mate 

Oh defo a diesel required...

I’ve had both the 150 and 190 (190, well 181 in a Leon ST FR); IME the 150 is the better of the two. Smoother and power delivery is linear and available lower down, whereas the 190 needs to be worked harder to really get the best out of it. I did try the 190 in the Superb and found it exactly the same.  

18 minutes ago, spike2018 said:

About 45000 a year mate 

SE L or better still an L&K

Life is too short to spend that amount of time in a crap or poorly specced car.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Oh defo a diesel required...

I’ve had both the 150 and 190 (190, well 181 in a Leon ST FR); IME the 150 is the better of the two. Smoother and power delivery is linear and available lower down, whereas the 190 needs to be worked harder to really get the best out of it. I did try the 190 in the Superb and found it exactly the same.  

Well worth checking out both. I may be in a minority, but I love the low / mid-range torque from the 190. Both are good engines though. Agreed for that kind of mileage it's diesel all the way.

15 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

SE L or better still an L&K

Life is too short to spend that amount of time in a crap or poorly specced car.

+1 re spec. Unless you are using it as a taxi, that sounds like a lot of motorway miles (which I also do). I came from a Mk2 SE, and the driver assist functions on my L&K have made the miles effortless compared with the old one. I'd advise buying one with Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assist and Adaptive Lane Guidance (all standard on the L&K). Even if using it as a taxi, they combine to give Traffic Jam Assist which is brilliant in the stop-start stuff around town. If it is a taxi, I'd go 150 for the better fuel economy. Auto wipers and lights and heated seats are also nice to have, especially when you are spending a lot of time in the car. And if you can stretch to one with the Canton sound system then do it just because!:biggrin:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Well worth checking out both. I may be in a minority, but I love the low / mid-range torque from the 190. Both are good engines though. Agreed for that kind of mileage it's diesel all the way.

I love my 190 also (even better if it’s mapped :cool: )

6 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

If it is a taxi, I'd go 150 for the better fuel economy.

Are they though?

Many people are getting better MPG from the 190.

One thing for sure though is you don’t get many people saying “I wish I didn’t have that extra 40BHP” :D

22 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

When I was asking this question 18 months ago, the take I got was a c5mpg difference on the motorway and more around town. For @spike2018's benefit I get c55mpg on the motorway in summer (c50mpg with winter diesel), but it's much thirstier around town (25-35mpg).

26 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

One thing for sure though is you don’t get many people saying “I wish I didn’t have that extra 40BHP” :D

Yep:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

I love my 190 also (even better if it’s mapped :cool: )

Are they though?

Ah mapping a 190 is a whole different proposition.... they map quite well and take the car to super saloon levels of mid-range shove. 

It also improved MPG by 3-5%,  in my case. 

Can i ask @spike2018 what the price is for the car you are looking at ? I'm thinking of selling my 2016 L&K and have a local main dealer looking to buy it for cash (34k miles with a panoramic roof)

On 19/04/2019 at 09:32, spike2018 said:

About 45000 a year mate 

This might help with your petrol V diesel question. This is my 190 DSG, yes its mostly motorway miles but i guess if you are doing 45k a year your milage will be too.  

IMG_2387.JPG

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheGingerOne said:

This might help with your petrol V diesel question. This is my 190 DSG, yes its mostly motorway miles but i guess if you are doing 45k a year your milage will be too.  

IMG_2387.JPG

That really is good consumption, given the average speed:thumbup:. I normally only see this from my 190 when I've averaged 50+MPH. Agreed entirely about diesel being the only way forward for that kind of mileage.