Metallic scraping noise

Hi everyone. I joined about two weeks ago after getting a Superb II saloon. I'm getting a metallic grating/scraping sound from the engine, from time-to-time. It's not a deep noise and sounds as if something is rotating and scraping, perhaps a fan or pulley just touching its housing? It seems more noticeable on start-up or idling after a run. It's not the radiator fan. Anyone any ideas what it might be ?  - bought the car second-hand from a dealer, so it's under a warranty, but would be good to have some idea of the nature of the problem before I approach them.

Thanks.

It could be this issue:

Read all of that thread before going any further. Skoda have issued a bulletin to the dealer network to fix this under warranty but they may try to fob you off, especially if any repair work is done outside the dealer network.

I would suggest that if it is diagnosed as such by anyone outside the Skoda dealer network that they put it back together as is and drive it straight to Skoda for them to sort it out.

• Like 1

My car has the 6 speed auto box. So I'm guessing this won't apply.

The noise has something of a ring about it, perhaps suggesting the part is rotating against a casting, it's quite a light sound, almost bell-like. 

Ooooer! doesn't sound good, but the car has a full service history and the noise is there when the car is stationary. 

However, I thought I detected a slight clank when I braked so I'll check that out, thanks.

The a/c doesn't affect it. The noise is both in gear and out but I can detect it when on the move although It's intermittent. I'm pretty sure it from the engine compartment.