Cleaning/Maintaining Panoramic Roof

Jim H

Last year my parents bought a 2016 (66 plate) Fabia SEL and one of the main selling points of it was a wonderful glass panoramic roof. It is the first car (I've know) we've had with a sun or glass roof, so basically, has anyone have any tips and/or products to clean and maintain it?  I'm guessing glass isn't affected by UV light, but can it be scratched and/or swirl marks in it?

8 hours ago, Jim H said:

Last year my parents bought a 2016 (66 plate) Fabia SEL and one of the main selling points of it was a wonderful glass panoramic roof. It is the first car (I've know) we've had with a sun or glass roof, so basically, has anyone have any tips and/or products to clean and maintain it?  I'm guessing glass isn't affected by UV light, but can it be scratched and/or swirl marks in it?

I can't say whether what I do is the "best" method but initially I cleaned the 1 on my vRS with glass cleaner then coated it with a sealant, along with the rest of the car. When it comes to cleaning I spray the whole car with powermaxed TFR at 1:9 then rinse that off, wash the car with a lambswool pad, rinse again then dry with a thick mf drying towel to get most of the water off and finish off with a kent extrs large mf towels. Occasionally I open the sunroof fully and wipe round the inside with a damp mf cloth then follow up with some sonax BSD 

• 1 month later...

I've found AquaPel does a fantastic job of keeping the glass clean as nothing clings to it! I did use Rain-X for a long time but AquaPel is much better and longer lasting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I clean mine with Autoglass fast glass, same as the other glass after washing the car.

It does seem to take less time to wash a car with so much glass

Edited by Delberthot
  • Thanks 1

On 25/05/2019 at 00:43, Delberthot said:

I clean mine with Autoglass fast glass, same as the other glass after washing the car.

It does seem to take less time to wash a car with so much glass

Same here. Might also be worth claying the glass as it is also susceptible to bonded contaminants just like the paintwork.

• Thanks 1

Another vote for Aquapel glass sealant. With the surface prepped properly and the product applied as per the instructions, I'd expect you'd get around 2yrs protection from it.

It can just be maintained as normal, with car shampoo and a suitable washmitt.