What to look for!!!

Hi all,

Im new to the forum. I’m going to test drive and buy a 2008 Skoda Octavia VRS TDI DSG Estate on Friday if all is well. It looks in good clean condition and has 33,000 miles on the clock and f.s.h. I have little knowledge of the engine and gearbox and would like some advice on  what should I pay special attention to when test driving? Also has anyone else had experience of same model,age etc and what are common problems to look out for?

Many thanks

Graham

•  

Firstly I would check up on its history as 33,000 miles on any 2008 car never mind a diesel is quite low.

There are quite a few free apps which you can download which allows you to put in the registration number and it gives you the MOT details....   

"Know your car,  My car check, Vehicle smart"  are some.

• Sad 1

Yes, i'd be very suspect of the very low mileage. If it's one owner, then maybe it's genuine. Check it out.........

Look for original fittings, ie battery (it's possible) tyre year of manufacture, steering wheel and seat wear and tear and anything else you can find then see if all the pieces fit.

Where / who are you purchasing it from, and do they check out??? What's the asking price???

Full Service History means different things to different folk, and can be faked!!!

Checked milage and it’s consistant with MOT’s and services, seats and common points of wear and tear look in very good condition all be it on photo’s. Buying from a small family run car garage in Carlisle spoken to them extensively and appear genuine (60plus 5star reviews on google and 1800+ good eBay feedback for what it’s worth) It’s had 5 services in its time 2 from Skoda and three from the same local garage where I assume the last owner lived in Carlisle. 3 owners from new last owner has owned it for 7years and done around 5000miles. My only reservation is the amount of owners as the first 2 didn’t seem to keep for long,only about a year? (Maybe one owner was the garage it was sold from if it was an ex demo?) Price I’ve negotiated to £5500, with 12MOT with no advisories. 

Edited by 00180mille

PD is the older TDi engine, CR=common rail, this being the later TDi engine, both are brilliant engines with the CR being smoother and quieter.

The PD is a lot less refined and sounds like a tractor, but is fairly bullet proof.

The CR is much more refined, smoother running and the power delivery is better and more progressive and rated at 170bhp where as the PD gives 148bhp and the power arrives in a wave.

AS said though both are fantastic engines.

If you get a reasonable guarantee / warranty with it (and you live near enough to the garage for it to be viable) then it could be a good purchase, assuming all is well and no issues during the test drive.

My A4 has been sat on the drive for a lot of the time with very little mileage during the years that i had it, and it remained a fantastic car. I did keep the wheels / brakes covered over tho.

@00180mille

I know the DSG service schedule is at 40,000 miles, but being 11 years old is there any record of the DSG having had an oil change?

What about the water pump?

These are 2 things you would need to budget for when you got the car, brake fluid change as well if no record of recently done.

45 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@00180mille

I know the DSG service schedule is at 40,000 miles, but being 11 years old is there any record of the DSG having had an oil change?

What about the water pump?

These are 2 things you would need to budget for when you got the car, brake fluid change as well if no record of recently done.

That’s my main reservation I’ve seen the service manual in photo’s and it’s vague in terms of details just a box that says oil change has been ticked doesn’t reference oil or gear box. When I go to view I’m hoping it’s more apparent. I’ve read a few things on here as to how the gear box should behave, slowly creeping forward when in drive and footbrake released etc same in reverse. Look out for the car lurching and bucking at junctions etc.  As for the water pump, that has been changed along with timing belt in the last 2000 miles receipts to prove and I’ll check. If I bought it I plan to give it a major service next year as I only do around 5000 miles a year. Then I will change gear box,engine oil, brake fluid and all filters etc.

On 23/04/2019 at 15:31, Dpearce said:

Firstly I would check up on its history as 33,000 miles on any 2008 car never mind a diesel is quite low.

There are quite a few free apps which you can download which allows you to put in the registration number and it gives you the MOT details....   

"Know your car,  My car check, Vehicle smart"  are some.

Or instead of using malware, ad infected apps why not just try the free official government website.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history