AO = Skoda UK registered car?

LeMans

I know with Audis a the local memory tag (first two letters on registration plate) KV / KY / OY generally means the car was first registered as Audi UK car used by Audi management for 6months/6,000miles.

Does anyone know if Skoda do a similar thing? 

I have seen a 15 plate Yeti in Glasgow, two previous owners with memory tag AO wondering if this car would been first registered to Skoda UK. 

7 hours ago, LeMans said:

I know with Audis a the local memory tag (first two letters on registration plate) KV / KY / OY generally means the car was first registered as Audi UK car used by Audi management for 6months/6,000miles.

Does anyone know if Skoda do a similar thing? 

I have seen a 15 plate Yeti in Glasgow, two previous owners with memory tag AO wondering if this car would been first registered to Skoda UK. 

Morning LeMans. I've just read the DVLA document INF104. It says that AO is a Norwich registration, KV Northampton, OY Oxford. I think the letters are for area identification only, and do not tell you anything about who registered the car. 

• Like 1

That’s true, but often the OEM fleet cars are registered in the same locale based on wherever the fleet is managed from.

2 hours ago, PeterKn said:

Morning LeMans. I've just read the DVLA document INF104. It says that AO is a Norwich registration, KV Northampton, OY Oxford. I think the letters are for area identification only, and do not tell you anything about who registered the car. 

Yes that's correct but usually some of these are the cars that end up in Audi dealerships.

I think OEM fleet Skodas have G registration plates, or least that's what you see on the rental ones driving around the Highlands, and the rental companies get them in batches, registered to wherever the fleet's from. 

Edited by Ardbeg

The term 'Ex management' is greatly abused by 'Skoda / VW Group'  and other manufacturers and covers all sorts from a car driven by someone that might be in management to Demonstrators, Courtesy Cars, Fleet leases and various others that get driven in any old way for 3,000 miles or 3 months and lets VW Group get tax breaks and First Registrations.

You never know how 'Ex management cars' were driven anymore than how any used cars was 'driven in / run in', or not.

• Like 1

It would include Yeti that Skoda were getting First Registered as they were not selling well so were being First Registered and used a Courtesy Cars.

The last built models were being used as loaners as there were delays in vehicles being delivered.

• 1 month later...

Would be a K prefix if anything, for 'Skoda UK' car - as their UK office is based in Milton Keynes, same as VW.

Re the reference of 'G' (Kent) registered rentals. I certainly know Enterprise have a lot of Gs on their books as I used to use them a lot for work. Often this is because rental companies will use one dealer (or dealer chain) in a certain part of the country, for the purchase and registration of rental cars.

Just to add as well, my lease Yeti is about to go back and is owned by VWFS. As they're also based in Milton Keynes and it also came through Jardine Skoda in MK as the registered dealer, you might expect it to be on a 'K' as well for that part of the world.

Nope, it's on an 'H' - registered out of Portsmouth. Work that one out!

So all in all, it can be quite difficult to work out the history of a certain car, based just on the numberplate. You'd need some supporting documents too :) 

5 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Just to add as well, my lease Yeti is about to go back and is owned by VWFS. As they're also based in Milton Keynes and it also came through Jardine Skoda in MK as the registered dealer, you might expect it to be on a 'K' as well for that part of the world.

Nope, it's on an 'H' - registered out of Portsmouth. Work that one out!

So all in all, it can be quite difficult to work out the history of a certain car, based just on the numberplate. You'd need some supporting documents too :) 

Depends who is registering the doing the PDI.

Portsmouth could well be the docks as they do register and PDI the cars there and Oxford is quite common as the fleet PDI centre was at Upper Heyford (sub contracted out to a fleet management company).

• Like 1

Makes sense Ross. Just surprised me, as it got first registered on my private plate so had no idea what reg would get assigned. So was a bit surprised!

Something to do with VWFS lease cars as well, as a friend had the same registration area applied when his plate came off at the end of lease. And the supplying dealer for his was Simpsons in Preston....

1 minute ago, Wardy said:

Makes sense Ross. Just surprised me, as it got first registered on my private plate so had no idea what reg would get assigned. So was a bit surprised!

Something to do with VWFS lease cars as well, as a friend had the same registration area applied when his plate came off at the end of lease. And the supplying dealer for his was Simpsons in Preston....

Pretty sure is QEK Global Solutions @ Upper Heyford that do all the registering than ship them to the local dealer. Done plenty myself, they just have a quick re-prep and clean up and then collected.

• Like 1