MK2 Fabia VRS 0-60 times

Hi everyone

i’ve made a youtube video (as i couldnt upload the videos on here) with a compilation of 3 different launches i did in my VRS, please have a look and let me know your thoughts/opinion, i’m happy to hear anything, critics, tips, advice so I could improve recording/time or anything in general really

also read the description under the video please much appreciated!

https://youtu.be/oEswmqhN6EM

• Like 2

It is not looking very smooth in the upshifts.

I know for the video that you show the time next to the still of the needle at 60 mph on the clock.   60 on the clock is not actually 60 MPH.

It would be good if you could show the times for 0-62 mph.  & show please where 62 mph actually is on your speedo when at 62 mph,

tyre dependent it is about 65mph on the clock.

(100 kph on the maxidot is showing on the vid with the needle at about 65mph)

Edited by Skoffski

I saw Reza has upgraded to 215/40/17's as I have, on my car the speedo is accurate to within 1mph to 60 comparing the OBD reported speed to GPS. Also, Reza did you remove the rear bumper weights yet?

Edit: Ok something must be different, on my car 60mph in 3rd is 5828 rpm but in the videos he is stopping the timer at 5500 which would be 57mph. His times at 5800 rpm are 5.75 ish which is on par with a stage 1 car on a good surface.

Edited by FlexibleMouse

6 hours ago, Skoffski said:

It is not looking very smooth in the upshifts.

I know for the video that you show the time next to the still of the needle at 60 mph on the clock.   60 on the clock is not actually 60 MPH.

It would be good if you could show the times for 0-62 mph.  & show please where 62 mph actually is on your speedo when at 62 mph,

tyre dependent it is about 65mph on the clock.

(100 kph on the maxidot is showing on the vid with the needle at about 65mph)

Only between gear 1-2 the upshift doesnt seem very smooth as on the speedo you can see it dropping slightly. Any particular reason?

this is why i measured 0-60 times, i know 0-60 isnt 100kmh

thats not what we’re trying to accomplish. I time all my runs using dragy and dragy measures 0-60 only not 0-62mph. If i wanted to start doing that using my own method it would be inaccurate. This video i created at 3am just to kind of give you a hint of what i’m looking at in terms of performance and to see what i could do better. But even if the needle is misjudged to 57mph, that would be 0.5 of a second added to the time in the frozen frame which still would put the 0-60 time below 6 seconds. 

Also if you watch the video again, i tried to pause it at 100km/h but the correlation between the speedo needle and KM/h is so so inaccurate as the km/h is digital and not very on time

3 hours ago, FlexibleMouse said:

I saw Reza has upgraded to 215/40/17's as I have, on my car the speedo is accurate to within 1mph to 60 comparing the OBD reported speed to GPS. Also, Reza did you remove the rear bumper weights yet?

Edit: Ok something must be different, on my car 60mph in 3rd is 5828 rpm but in the videos he is stopping the timer at 5500 which would be 57mph. His times at 5800 rpm are 5.75 ish which is on par with a stage 1 car on a good surface.

Enlighten me on this bumper weight removal what’s that??? 

Yeah thats what i meant, I’m pretty sure i didnt hit 60mph in 5.25 seconds but for argument sake if it was 57mph and i misjudged the video (as its based only on eyesight and not physical dials/numbers) then we add 0.5 seconds so still well below 6 seconds meaning im heading towards the goal! 

It seems fine, nothing special, just doing the sort of acceleration expected of a stage 1 or tuning box CAVE or CTHE.

Some CTHE are quicker, not all are.

Search Fabia vRS rear weights.

Thread in the Fabia Guide section and others.

Skoda / VW added success balance to make hatch officially 5 kg heavier than the estate.

It makes the front go light under acceleration and make the car look slower than the heavier Polo & Ibiza.

They never fitted Spare Tyres as standard to the Polo, Ibiza, A1 twinchargers, they did put the battery in the boot of the Polo GTI though.

Nobody would take a Mk2 Fabia Monte Carlo 1.6 tdi remapped and add ballast weights to the rear passenger side.

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 12.28.32.png

Longer roof makes no difference under acceleration with the 9 3/4" longer estate that is supposedly lighter, 

not lighter if you weigh them though. Odd journalists never put them on the weigh bridge.

Stronger springs on the rear of the estate.

http://youtube.com/watch?v-

Edited by Skoffski

28 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

It seems fine, nothing special, just doing the sort of acceleration expected of a stage 1 or tuning box CAVE or CTHE.

Some CTHE are quicker, not all are.

Search Fabia vRS rear weights.

Thread in the Fabia Guide section and others.

Skoda / VW added success balance to make hatch officially 5 kg heavier than the estate.

It makes the front go light under acceleration and make the car look slower than the heavier Polo & Ibiza.

They never fitted Spare Tyres as standard to the Polo, Ibiza, A1 twinchargers, they did put the battery in the boot of the Polo GTI though.

Nobody would take a Mk2 Fabia Monte Carlo 1.6 tdi remapped and add ballast weights to the rear passenger side.

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 12.28.32.png

Longer roof makes no difference under acceleration with the 9 3/4" longer estate that is supposedly lighter, 

not lighter if you weigh them though. Odd journalists never put them on the weigh bridge.

Stronger springs on the rear of the estate.

http://youtube.com/watch?v-

I have always wondered why the estate, a longer, potentially more size meaning more weight, would weigh 5kg less despite it being 0.2m longer etc.. so they have added extra weight to the bumper? 

How would i remove that?

i presume 5kg wouldn’t make a significant difference though would it?

it is not 5kg.

The Estate is 20 kg heavier supposedly than the hatch without weights.  But that is not correct.

then 19 kg for the spare and tools in the estate and hatch over the Polo, Ibiza, A1.

That is a lovely 40 kg plus extra at the rear.

Then the Polo, Ibiza and A1 have 215/40 R 17, and a lower VED, better mpg, quicker top speeds and acceleration.

It was VW cheating figures as usual. More expensive can not show as worse than the cheapest.

Its more like 15-20kg it is 3 big cast iron weights bolted to the rear crash bar. Just remove the rear bumper to take them off. 

However you look at it the 1.4 twin charger offers great acceleration for the money. The most amazing thing about your acceleration is whatever road you are using is easy more grippy than anything round these parts.

• Like 1

Im struggling to understand you George, because above it seemed like you said the hatch was 5kg more which is correct if you’re checking autotrader for the car specs/dimensions the difference between the hatch and estate shows indeed as being 5kg surplus for the hatch.

which makes no sense, how can a vehicle that’s larger in length, have more capacity and posses more weight be LIGHTER than a compact version?

i dont trust given figures anyways, go by the books, you’ll be getting 45mpg, 0-60 in 7.3 seconds according to reviews by autocar topgear and the lot of them, as those are probably figures given by VW which are clearly incorrect. I’ve never gotten more than 37-38mpg... 

the question is, why purposely add more weight even if its 5kg to the hatch performance, here we have other manufacturers stripping as much weight as possible and the VRS.... adds?

5 minutes ago, FlexibleMouse said:

Its more like 15-20kg it is 3 big cast iron weights bolted to the rear crash bar. Just remove the rear bumper to take them off. 

However you look at it the 1.4 twin charger offers great acceleration for the money. The most amazing thing about your acceleration is whatever road you are using is easy more grippy than anything round these parts.

If its 15-20kg that the hatch is weighing MORE than the estate then i’ll be curious as to what this is and how to remove it if possible?? Potentially quicker and more MPG’s right?

i think it’s just that i have to drive for about 20-30 mins (warms the engine, oil, tyres and the lot up nicely), im using literally 3 week brand new Uniroyals and have never put anything but V-Power since owning the car. The video’s i’m still struggling with grip slightly, getting wheelspin for abit of it so im super curious what kind of time it will do at Santa pod

(where abouts are you based)

The weight was added to the Skoda to slow it down in comparison to the Seat,  VW and Audi cars on the same platform. Also why our tyres are narrower, they didn't want the cheapest version of the car to be the fastest.

I'm based in Coventry, haven't found anywhere possible to go under a 5.8 around here.

Edited by FlexibleMouse
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, FlexibleMouse said:

The weight was added to the Skoda to slow it down in comparison to the Seat,  VW and Audi cars on the same platform. Also why our tyres are narrower, they didn't want the cheapest version of the car to be the fastest.

I'm based in Coventry, haven't found anywhere possible to go under a 5.8 around here.

Wow that’s smart but stupid at the same time, because now i wonder what else they may have done to hold back the full potential of these that we haven’t discovered yet..

how can i or what should i google to find out how to remove the excess weight and if it’s safe to do so?

We should all arrange for a Fabia VRS meet at Santa pod or something 

that’d be interesting

You get 2 sets of kerb weights for Mk2 Fabia vRS harches and estates.

The ones there were at launch and the ones later that were 13kg heavier.

The VW Polo GTI 3 door and 5 door weights were false and the 25 kg they said the 5 door was heavier was incorrect.

The Ibiza was heavy and the revised weights of that as well.

Then when they fitted the CTHE they brought it down a VED band, even though it was heavier than before.

The vRS C02 g/km was not revised with the CTHE fitted.

All manufacturers were making cars lighter and Skoda design, test, manufacture, i take it type approve ballast and fasteners.

(This is not like with the Audi TT where weights were added because the car was dangerous.)

This was to keep the Hatch as slower than the estate, with the same VED band.

Then no Towing allowed with a vRS as they submit no official towing weights.

How to remove weights is in the Guide Section. 

As well as this guide check out his builds, and 1/4 mile times. Santa Pod youtube vids etc.  211.6 bhp with TMC Tuning box.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/223019-removing-rear-weights-mk2-fabia-vrs-tsi-hatch-guide

Look at @VRS-Powered's 'see their activity'.   Fitting 'ITG' induction, lowering and more is all there.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/221248-vrs-powereds-skoda-fabia-vrs-tsi-tmc-itg-2116-bhp

Edited by Skoffski

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

How to remove weights is in the Guide Section. 

As well as this guide check out his builds, and 1/4 mile times. Santa Pod youtube vids etc.  211.6 bhp with TMC Tuning box.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/223019-removing-rear-weights-mk2-fabia-vrs-tsi-hatch-guide

Look at @VRS-Powered's 'see their activity'.   Fitting 'ITG' induction, lowering and more is all there.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/221248-vrs-powereds-skoda-fabia-vrs-tsi-tmc-itg-2116-bhp

Thanks for the shout out :)

i miss that car!

15 hours ago, RezaVrs said:

Hi everyone

i’ve made a youtube video (as i couldnt upload the videos on here) with a compilation of 3 different launches i did in my VRS, please have a look and let me know your thoughts/opinion, i’m happy to hear anything, critics, tips, advice so I could improve recording/time or anything in general really

also read the description under the video please much appreciated!

https://youtu.be/oEswmqhN6EM

Looks ok but why using the whole 7000RPM? You’ll hit peak around 5000-5500 and start to tail off so would be worthwhile shifting before redline. 

30 minutes ago, VRS-Powered said:

Looks ok but why using the whole 7000RPM? You’ll hit peak around 5000-5500 and start to tail off so would be worthwhile shifting before redline. 

I used to think exactly the same way, but I have tested extensively and found that although power drops in the higher rpm range you are still accelerating harder than if you change up to the next gear. 

Between 3rd and 4th for example, 4th gear is 40% longer than 3rd. This means that you'd have to lose 40% in the higher rpm range to make it worth shifting up, and you actually lose 10-15%.

Edited by FlexibleMouse

13 minutes ago, FlexibleMouse said:

I used to think exactly the same way, but I have tested extensively and found that although power drops in the higher rpm range you are still accelerating harder than if you change up to the next gear. 

Between 3rd and 4th for example, 4th gear is 40% longer than 3rd. This means that you'd have to lose 40% in the higher rpm range to make it worth shifting up, and you actually lose 10-15%.

Hmmm that’s interesting, I tried all combos when on RWYB challenge and found shifting earlier got a better run 

I have found that from about 32mph my performance is almost identical every run (a couple of horse power up and down depending on air temp etc). It all comes down to the available grip, a tenth in the 60ft is worth 2 tenths at the quarter.