Can someone explain acc to me. 

All I know at the moment is that it keeps a distance from the vehicle infront whilst adjusting the speed. 

So what happens if there is a pile up on the motorway or coming up to trafic lights... Does the vehicle come to a complete stop? 

Also can it work when in traffic jams? 

I have a Skoda Fabia Estate/Combi 2019

I believe its the SE trim version with about £1000 of optional addons. 

James 

If your car has DSG (which I see it has) then yes, ACC can bring the car to a complete stop. In traffic jams it will stop and start with the car in front. Only thing with that is that after it has been stopped for a few seconds, it will not move off again unless you dab the throttle or pull the ACC stalk (safety feature).

It's important to bear in mind that it only reacts to moving vehicles or vehicles that were moving when it first "saw" them, and that its radar range isn't particularly great.

This means 1/ that if stationary traffic comes into view on the road ahead, it will pile into it

2/ If you are doing say 140kph and you come upon traffic ahead doing say 20kph, chances are it won't have enough time after the radar "sees" the traffic, to slow enough and will crash into the traffic.

The other "limitation" is that in a traffic jam it will just follow the car in front. So if for example it is coming to a roundabout or other "stop" or "give way", it will just follow the car in front over the "give way" even if there is a car coming from the side and not enough room for you to follow the car in front. And of course it doesn't "see" red traffic lights.

But once you understand how it works and its limitations it is great, especially on the motorway.

Edited by nicknorman

love ACC. It's amazing. It does have its limitations though. Sometimes it doesn't 'see' cars, so you have to keep an eye on things, but it makes motorway driving so much more pleasant. My car is a manual, so it can't brake to a stop, but it's still one of my favourite features of the car. I don't think I'll be buying another car without it. 

Like any other system, it's an assistant, not a replacement for good driving. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamos316 said:

So what happens if there is a pile up on the motorway or coming up to trafic lights... Does the vehicle come to a complete stop? 

Why do you ask this? Do you want to have a sleep??? or do you have a medical complaint where you might need this as you are not able to pay attention and stop the vehicle yourself?

After a year of owning the Superb with ACC, we've payed for it as an extra on t'missus's new Karoq. Its a brilliant tool, and so much more useable than 'normal' cruise in this busy country. It is a tool, not a panacea, but once you understand how it works, ACC and DSG together are just lovely to use.

1 hour ago, jamos316 said:

Thankyou for the replies. Picking the car up tomorrow... Can't wait to test it! 

It is brilliant once you get your head around how it works and what to watch out for. As above if there is a big speed difference sometimes it reverts to the emergency warning and then breaking versus gradually slowing. But usually if you spot it just slow and re-engage. Perfect for lots of traffic around 10-40 mph. Really stop start I tend to leave it off as is sometimes a bit jerky depending on the driver ahead. It almost mimics them at low speed so if they are not smooth ect you get the idea. 

Acc is one of the best features you can have especially if you do lots of motorway work. Good luck with the new car, let us know how you get on with it.

It took while for  me to get used to it and its idiosyncrasies  but  I  certainly wouldn't be without it now. 

As others have said it's a tool and if used well it makes driving more pleasurable in my opinion.

Remember it works in conjunction with front assist so piling into traffic jams isn't as likely as suggested.

Never rely on it completely, it's not a replacement for good driving and concentration.

• Like 1

Should I just use it on motorway driving or is it useful for city/urban driving with a lot of start stops and people pulling infront of you... or even country driving? 

1 hour ago, RickW said:

Remember it works in conjunction with front assist so piling into traffic jams isn't as likely as suggested.

Front assist only promises to prevent a crash when going at quite a low speed. When going at motorway speeds it only promises to reduce the severity of the impact.

On 02/05/2019 at 09:21, jamos316 said:

Can someone explain acc to me. 

All I know at the moment is that it keeps a distance from the vehicle infront whilst adjusting the speed. 

Also can it work when in traffic jams? 

I have a Skoda Fabia Estate/Combi 2019

I believe its the SE trim version with about £1000 of optional addons. 

James 

Best to turn it off in traffic jams. It won't always work as it switches itself off after stopping and you have to resume. One of the best things about any cruise control is the fuel saving benefits. I have been covering between 4,000 to 4,500 miles per month in my new 1,2 110ps petrol C3 Citroen. With cruise control engaged I get upto 74mpg on the motorways. Not using it, and trying really hard to get best economy, I can only manage 64-66mpg. So cruise can make a big difference. DON'T USE CRUISE CONTROL when running in your new car. It can have a seriously bad effect on how the engine runs in. Use it only after 1000 or so miles have been covered. That way you avoid fixed throttle driving, the main enemy of running in any new car engine.

12 hours ago, jamos316 said:

Should I just use it on motorway driving or is it useful for city/urban driving with a lot of start stops and people pulling infront of you... or even country driving? 

You will learn how to use it in a way that serves you best, which has happened to me. Eventually it'll become second  nature and you won't think about it much at all.

OK I think I got the hang of acc testing it out a few times in my new fabia.

Today I testing in a traffic jam... Not knowing how it would exactly work I had my foot over the brake pedal incase it didn't work.

At first it seem to work pretty well with the cars stopping the moving swiftly on,then one car in front broke harder so on came my emergency brakes with the beep warning sound. After a few seconds of the emergency brake the car started to creep forward and it got a little to close to the car in front for my liking so I put on the brakes.

im wondering was the acc disabled after the emergency braking?

45 minutes ago, jamos316 said:

Today I testing in a traffic jam... Not knowing how it would exactly work I had my foot over the brake pedal incase it didn't work.

At first it seem to work pretty well with the cars stopping the moving swiftly on,then one car in front broke harder so on came my emergency brakes with the beep warning sound. After a few seconds of the emergency brake the car started to creep forward and it got a little to close to the car in front for my liking so I put on the brakes.

The acc is disabled if the car stops for more than about a second or two. The acc on the Fabia is not what you'd call traffic jam assist on other car models.

14 hours ago, jamos316 said:

If emergency breaking is activated it will disable ACC until you set it again. This is why I tend not to use it in very stop start traffic because it will speed up quite rapidly then if traffic comes to a quick stop ACC won’t always slow quickly enough and then it will used the emergency warn then brake if you don’t intervene. It’s best in constantly moving traffic or normal traffic. 

So what would acc do in this instance...

I am driving on a town road with acc on, the car comes to a traffic jam and the car automatically slows and moves on depending on the traffic. At one point the car infront brakes harder and automatic emergency stop is performed. Will I then be able to pull the acc lever to resume? Even though the car infront is still stationary.

Does acc detect a stationary car from first activation or is it likely that it would accelerate and I would crash into the back of the car?

I understand that the fabia is not equipt with traffic jam assist however I also know from experience that acc can still do almost the same job in traffic jams (stopping - moving).

James

5 hours ago, jamos316 said:

So what would acc do in this instance...

I am driving on a town road with acc on, the car comes to a traffic jam and the car automatically slows and moves on depending on the traffic. At one point the car infront brakes harder and automatic emergency stop is performed. Will I then be able to pull the acc lever to resume? Even though the car infront is still stationary.

Does acc detect a stationary car from first activation or is it likely that it would accelerate and I would crash into the back of the car?

I understand that the fabia is not equipt with traffic jam assist however I also know from experience that acc can still do almost the same job in traffic jams (stopping - moving).

James

Once stopped via emergency breaking you will have to keep your foot on the brake until traffic moves and then reactivate once you are rolling again. It won’t activate when stopped. But I have never had an instance when it accelerated into anything even on a very sharp curve it seems to still see cars. 

Also, emergency breaking really expects your input. It’s not designed to do the whole job so you are still expected to react take control and avoid the car completing the full stop. 

Hope that helps! 

• Thanks 1